Ugh--FCC True Temper Handlebar decal

stoebben

Despite my best attempts (which may be deficient--I've been told that before), I cannot find a clean, complete picture of the True Temper Decal found on the early FCC handlebars. There are glimpses on various threads but nothing clear as a bell showing all the details. I've asked sellers of entire bikes just for a pic of the decal, but have been ignored too many times to count. Help a brother out, please.

stoebben

Great Pic But

Thanks for the photos, but looking for the actual decal that predates the Temper/FCC imprint on the bars. Looks like the VeloCal decal posted by Retro Dude but as I don't have a great picture of the complete decal as mounted on a set of bars, I can't confirm that decal is identical except for size.

stoebben

More Info

The decal was first used on bars in I believe 1986 and continued up to the time of the use of the bar posted by mainlyfats.

stoebben

That's the one! I'm trying to get a complete picture of it, though, rather than just a partial. That is one of my favorite paint jobs of all time, too. Thanks!

Stingercut

I was looking for exactly the same thing a few months ago. It's not great but have a look a few pics down on this beauty http://fiveandaquarter.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/fat-chance-team-comp-1990.html?m=1

I got one of the Velocals repro decals. It's not an exact match and the size was wrong for a handlebar. They did say they could get one made up, if a life sized picture with dimensions was forwarded. More than happy to share the cost of this as it's worth having for future restos and the FCC yellow Somerville bar decal too.

stoebben

Getting warmer, warmer . . .

That's the best pic I've been able to obtain, too. Not complete but pretty close. It gives an idea of size based on circumference of the handlebar, too.

I have the VeloCals TT T1 decal but it isn't the AT version required for use on the seat tube for FCC restoration. The T2 should be pretty close to what is needed for the handlebars, though, if reduced in size, which I can get done. I just need to see a complete close-up pic to confirm it has the right info.

Thanks!!!

stoebben

Measurements

AND if someone is so kind to help us out on these measurements, be sure not to use calipers for the long/length dimension--use a ruler or tape and measure while rolling across the handlebar. Otherwise, we'll get too short of measurement. The width dimension should be easy as to is on the flat face of the handlebar. Thanks!

laffeaux

The owner of the FiveAndAQuarter blog where the picture is hosted posts on the MTBR vintage forum pretty regularly, and I'm pretty sure he still owns that bike. If you post a request on MTBR he should help you out.

MTB Mania

Measures 5/8" wide x about 31/32" long (not including "trademark")

oops wrong decal!

Attachments

• TrueTemper.jpg
    TrueTemper.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

screamingbunny

this is off my 87' Wicked, this the sticker your looking for? 1'x5/8'

Attachments

• tt 1.jpg
    tt 1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 34
  • tt 2 (2).jpg
    tt 2 (2).jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 33

stoebben

Success!

That is exactly what I needed!!!! Thank you!!!

Does the Fat City Cycles decal on the opposite side of the handlebar have square or rounded edges on your '87? I've seen both and I'm working on two sets of bars--one for an '85 and another for either an '87 or an '88.

Happy New Year all!!

stoebben

Last Request

Thanks to all who have posted and helped with this project. Last request I have is for anyone who has an 85 Fat Chance with original flat bar to post a pic. In all my searching, I've not found a single 85 with anything other than bullmoose bars. I believe both the Comp (alloy bar) and Team (titanium bar) came with flat bars. I'm interested in pics of both.

Thank you!!