Anti Chain Suck Mounts

WD Pro

My frame doesn’t have the anti chain suck mounting plate bosses. As the frame is going to get painted I might as well add these so I have the option of using them or not in the future :)

I am looking for the following dimensions :

I presume the dimensions were fixed regardless of frame size / model (did other Fat’s get them or just the Yo ?), info from two separate owners (or an owner with multiple frames) would be ideal and really appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for any help :cool:

WD :)

Last edited:

afterbang

if others don't beat me to it, I'll break out the calipers and get those measurements for you in the next day or so.

seems unnecessary, but more power to you for having fun with your project. :)

tvcreative

there's a reason

hey there's a reason why they are called anti chain SUCK devices

cause they SUCK. I would not go out of my way to put them on a bike that didn't have them originally.

These things get caked with mud and dampness, and rust in and area prone to rust already.

plus the little metal suck devices are not stainless so they rust to the nut you put on with it. You can put Ringle aluminum ones on...they are a little better

I have bikes with both...but to my knowledge a 92 mass bike didn't have them. I could be wrong

jpicard616

The Ringle ones work decently but they don't fit of Fat's. The Toothpick things that came on my Yo are basically worthless.

afterbang

I really tried my best to get accurate measurements. I used the center of the BB spindle as the center point of the BB shell.

(A) 3.260"
(B) 1.882"

WD Pro

Thank you !

That’s similar to some other dimensions I had been provided with on my build thread (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=265998)

I am still unsure if I will fit / use them or not yet. If I do, corrosion won’t be a problem. The inserts I have are the blind / fully sealed stainless steel type. If I want studs, I will use stainless threaded bar and blue Loctite. I will probably use ano ally button head bolts though or stainless (either option covered in anti seize). The design of the toothpick will be custom to suit my set up – laser cut stainless using both mounting holes with no adjustment / no movement :)

I-ROBOT

I am ambivalent about them. The steel laser-cut plates we provided probably were not worth much in terms of protecting the chainstay. I heard complaints from some who said if the chain did get caught it was way worse with the toothpicks than before. I don't think it would detract from the value of your frame if you do add them. I think we started doing those in late '92 after we moved to Linden St.
Scott

WD Pro

Thanks again :cool:

Without trying to sound like an arse, $ (or £!) value of my frame doesn’t concern me to much … Certainly not enough for me to worry about its value more than personalising / building it how I want ;)

I know (and appreciate) that some think that they should all be built as they left the factory but if I was one of them, I wouldn’t have traded some stuff for this particular frame – I would have got my wallet out and gone shopping for factory fresh items ;)

I think I will add them so I at least have the option of using them in future – seems like the best time to do it before a repaint etc.

Thanks again for your input,