94 Shock-A-Billy - Project 2012

northerndave

Here we go... This weekend I'll be taking delivery of this...

IMG_5567.jpg

It's going to be a long, long project but I'm totally determined to bring it back to it's former glory. I like to think under it all there's a classic waiting to get out. We'll get there... One Day.

nader

.. I'm totally determined to bring it back to it's former glory. I like to think under it all there's a classic waiting to get out. ..

do it please and kick all these modern parts away, although the fork is not so bad. ;)
much fun and good luck!

northerndave

I suppose I'm seeing the worst of it..

The biggest thing is the rear end. The Amp triangle is a B3 so the geometry is all out, shock is too short too hence why the previous owner has fabricated a different mount under the top tube. I'll pull it all aprts and work out how best to move on with it. I've hopefully got an Amp B2 doner frame on it's way as a backup plan.

Hopefully the steelwork is good and then that can go for a new coat of paint.

Non correct components are all easily stripped and moved on. I'll need to asses the Ringle bits to see what's good and what's bad.

Forks will need a good strip down and then be fitted with springs and new carts. Wheels are trash.

Watch this space..

Zamfir

Great potential.

Too early to start thinking of colors? For me the Aquafade with blue Ringle parts on Retrobike is a great combo.

northerndave

Great potential.

Too early to start thinking of colors? For me the Aquafade with blue Ringle parts on Retrobike is a great combo.

Never too early think about colour. Thinking, dark and solid. Don't see many in black. Also quite like the idea of team lavender too.

northerndave

So the build/rebuild begins... Pulled it out of it's box and had a good look over it.

It's in fair condition really, nothing seems cracked or bent, just really dirty. aim is to now fully strip and review from there..

Ringle bits have been polished removing the Turquoise which is a bit annoying but all good. Now all for sale if you;re interested . Contact points are trash really, the bars and stem are for the bin i think as are the shifters and levers.

Some interesting bits.. The Rear end seems to be a B3 and has a very short shock, hence the inclusion of the home made frame mount. the rear end does seem solid though, haven;t found any cracks yet. Brilliantly it came with an older and crucially longer shock so this should be usable. It's got the original TWP/Fat City brace which is awesome. The Judy's have the original SL steerer which is really great as finding 1 inch crowns has always been tricky and I have another really, really nice Judy to drop on the front in place of these.

Next step is to strip it down and get a closer look at everything. Most parts are for the sell off. I think I've got enough parts to build back up into a nice rider.

DSC_8298.jpg

DSC_8299.jpg

DSC_8300.jpg

DSC_8301.jpg

DSC_8302.jpg

WVEddy

Awesome bike. I always want a SAB. One just never crossed my path. Can't wait to see the build.

nader

one might almost say that this is also a SAB

haevytools.jpg

but it isn't! :( I would say this is a SAB made ​​in Italy :D (..and someday I will build it)

northerndave

Got this pretty much down to it's bare frame now. I've refitted the original shock and removed the extra mount plate, geometry seems to be now back to how it was out of the factory. Still believe the rear end s B3 but seems OK. I think the currently fitted shock is a B2. Brion at Amp has nicely provided me with some shock details to help identify components.

DSC_8328.jpg

northerndave

Had some time this weekend to put together a tester build to make sure everything was working OK.. Nice basic build :p XTR M900, Graftons + ActionTec Ti rings, Syncros and Renthal.. Having gone out on a little test ride this evening I'm really pleased. It's a really chuckable size and the shock's actually quite responsive. I think this is going to be a really nice rider.

DSC_8350.jpg

Earlier in the weekend I did some shock servicing and put fresh oil in the shock as well as in the Judy. Now just keeping an eye peeled for leaks. Fresh oil and springs in the Judys have massively improved the ride too, it all feels really plush.

northerndave

Updates. Turns out my Amp shock is incontinent! Found a pool of shock oil under the SAB...

I've now got a doner Amp frame so I can replace the incorrect B3 rear with a correct B2 which brings it back to spec.

northerndave

Ah, the yellow is going. It's a nasty powder coat and I want to do something a bit more special. Thinking maybe Candy Wild Cherry or something similar with a matching rear end. Or maybe Aquafade harlequin...

tvcreative

Very very nice...

your patience has paid off...

Do you have to literally bake it to get the old powder off or will it strip like paint?

Sapphire fade is tasty for a repaint

I-ROBOT

Hi Jim
You can burn the paint off (if you dare, I mean if you are careful) without damaging the steel. Heat it just enough to get the paint to bubble and then start scraping. Chemical strippers can be less hazardous but take much longer. A good heat gun is your best bet.
Regards
Scott