yo eddy head-tube length - varies?

joshbot

I'm fixing up a 91 Yo eddy Medium. I bought an original yo fork for it (1st gen w/ 1 1/8" tubes), and it looks like the steerer tube is at least 1/2" longer than my head-tube/headset combo. Would this be because it came from a larger bike? If it's too long, what's involved in cutting and rethreading it so it will fit?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Could be, the larger sizes did have longer head tubes.

I've found that a lot of shops now don't readily do cutting and rethreading of threaded headtubes. But you are surround by lots of framebuilders who should be able to help if your LBS can't.

Alternatively, why not stick a spacer between the headset and locknut?

joshbot

I was thinking spacers might work but I think the difference is actually more than 1/2", more like almost 1". I'll take it to the LBS and see what they say.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
It is an easy thing to do if they are equipped/have been around for a while. I've had a 'new' bike shop balk once because they didn't have the ability to thread it. I was surprised, actually.

I-ROBOT

Welcome! From a metallurgical and structural standpoint, there is little risk in threading the steerer tube down further and then cutting off the excess length at the top, as long as both processes are done carefully. Make absolutely sure that the threading die is correct for the existing thread!! Wrap some tape around the threads that will stay on the fork in case you slip with the hacksaw. Make the cut is square and be sure to deburr the cut end and carefully file the end thread so everything screws on properly and doesn't get cross-threaded.
Yes - different size Yo Eddy's have different length head tubes so your fork came from a larger bike originally
Good Luck
Scott

joshbot

My LBS guy actually sent the fork over to another shop where he knew they had a new die to cut it with. I should have my bike back Friday with the fork installed and a drain hole drilled in the BB through to the seat tube (I have a small paint bubble at the very base/rear of the seat tube - I'm hoping the drain will prevent the rust from really setting in). I think it's gonna look pretty cool with the purple fork and dark blue frame. Mostly I'm psyched to ride it as I've only ever ridden a Yo with a BOI fork, not an original 1 1/8" fork. Also I found a set of Biopace chainrings in my parts bin... Retro-Grouch FTW! :D

joshbot

Ready to rock! Kinda blurry but you get the idea...

Attachments

• fat_chance_yo_eddy_91.jpg
    fat_chance_yo_eddy_91.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 37