083yzm

WVEddy

Do a thorough tear down and rust check. Look for paint bubbles on the seat tube, just above the bottom bracket.

Gotlime?

The "z" was a 4. 1994.

Here are some pics. We'll call these the before pics. Pulled it down off the wall and took these with my phone.

I recall upgrading the fork maybe a year after I got the bike. Can anyone tell what year the Judy is?

I also upgraded the brakes somewhere along the way and replaced the rear wheel. Pedals were put on to kick around the hood with my kids.
1186687791_J9zdQ-X2.jpg

1186688444_anmF4-X2.jpg

1186689006_YqXvH-X2.jpg

1186689706_FaXKi-X2.jpg

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Nice Yo---I hope you gave it a good cleaning! That's one of the last ones out of Somerville.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Very similar to my original Yo. Same year and fork. That fork would have been '94 or '95 or so. I liked it a lot and will someday find a minty fresh 1" Judy SL Ti to put on my Wicked.

Nice bike, for sure.

dc

Gotlime?

Very similar to my original Yo. Same year and fork. That fork would have been '94 or '95 or so. I liked it a lot and will someday find a minty fresh 1" Judy SL Ti to put on my Wicked.

Nice bike, for sure.

dc

What are the visual cues to tell the difference between a 94-96 Judy and the 97+ models? This is not the original fork that was on the bike. It had a Manitou 2 when I built it. I upgraded to the Judy a year or 2 later. It would be helpful to know what year it is so I can try to find parts for a rebuild.

Doug Carter

Staff member
IIRC, the later yellow SL ti had a once piece fork leg and bridge, and even the later separate brake bridge had no cable stops for V-brakes. Earliest SL ti forks had yellow legs with separate bridge and a cable stop.

You have the earliest SL ti that that made if memory serves me. That would be the one I would be seeking for my bike, actually. ;)

Gotlime?

IIRC, the later yellow SL ti had a once piece fork leg and bridge, and even the later separate brake bridge had no cable stops for V-brakes. Earliest SL ti forks had yellow legs with separate bridge and a cable stop.

You have the earliest SL ti that that made if memory serves me. That would be the one I would be seeking for my bike, actually. ;)

Good info Doug. Thanks!!

Any idea what might need to be replaced after all these years (it's never been rebuilt) and where I might look for those parts (if they're even available)?

Doug Carter

Staff member
If it didn't leak all over the floor, you're probably still not too bad off. I have a rebuild manual (PDF) around somewhere for it, I'll have to see if I can still find it. Replacement parts are all vintage, too, but sometimes can be found on eBay and other sources.

dc

NCAndy

Thanks man. I stored it with the seat post out. I had one start to freeze long ago and learned my lesson.

If that old seatpost matched the stem, I very well may have been the guy who got that out of the frame.

If that's the case, is your dad still pedaling his black Yo?

Gotlime?

If that old seatpost matched the stem, I very well may have been the guy who got that out of the frame.

If that's the case, is your dad still pedaling his black Yo?

Andy! I don't believe it.

My Dad still has his Yo! But he's gotten into road bikes. He's retiring in 6 weeks and just ordered some $5k trek road bike.

My email address is chrisahughesatgmaildotcom.com. I'd love to catch up.

I'll never forget putting that post in a vice and trying to break it free by twisting the bike. I can't recall how we (you) finally freed it.

NCAndy

Andy! I don't believe it.

My Dad still has his Yo! But he's gotten into road bikes. He's retiring in 6 weeks and just ordered some $5k trek road bike.

My email address is chrisahughesatgmaildotcom.com. I'd love to catch up.

I'll never forget putting that post in a vice and trying to break it free by twisting the bike. I can't recall how we (you) finally freed it.

One thing I recall is the look on your face when that post let out a horrific shriek as it finally broke free. I believe it took us several attempts (and much PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench) over the course of at least a week to get it out.

Good to know Pops is still riding. You boys need to make a road trip up here so you can check out all the stuff that we didn't know about 15 years ago.

Sent you an email yesterday. Say hey to everybody for me.