• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

NOS '95 Wicked Lite frameset on ebay

fat-d

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Interesting... I don't think a 16.5" is considered a Medium, though. Just a 16.5".

I'm betting that it isn't a 1995 frame, either. Those had Wicked Lite decals in '95 as well as Saratoga-era flag decals. The first Wicked Lite was '93, so I'm guessing that this frame is earlier. There is also no "Made in America" decal on the right chainstay. The press-in BB also leads me to believe that it's an earlier frame. My '93 had a threaded BB shell, which I think was standard after that year.

I'm guessing it's a 1990, as the fluorescent orange was a stock color in '90.

fat-d

Right, good points - I should have picked up on the press-in BB! I was assuming it was a Wicked Lite based on the year the seller gave. Edited the title to just "Wicked."

Doug Carter

Staff member
Now that I'm looking at the frame numbers, I pretty sure it is an '89.

The number on the frame is 15759W which is consistent with '89 Wickeds. The '90s had a different numbering style. I believe the "9" in this serial stands for '89 production.

Nice NOS frame, though. Would make a pretty cool bike to build up.

fat-d

Doug Carter said:

The number on the frame is 15759W which is consistent with '89 Wickeds. The '90s had a different numbering style. I believe the "9" in this serial stands for '89 production.
I agree with that interpretation. I recently picked up an '88 Wicked frame that has "8W" as the last two characters in the serial number. Looking through the frame registry here and the list at firstflightbikes.com, the Wicked "8" and "9" seem to correlate pretty clearly with 1988 and 1989.

Actually, based on the serial numbers I wonder if a couple of the 1988 Wickeds in the frame registry might be off by a year (02179W an '89 and 87472 an '87?).

I'll get my frames in the registry soon :)

Last edited:

Doug Carter

Staff member
fat-d said:
Actually, based on the serial numbers I wonder if a couple of the 1998 Wickeds in the frame registry might be off by a year (02179W an '89 and 87472 an '87?).

Excellent catches. I had changed one this morning, and got the other one just now. The updated database is in the registry.

:D

MikeyNYC

NOS '95 Wicked Lite frameset on ebay * * NOT!

Doug Carter said:

Nice NOS frame, though. Would make a pretty cool bike to build up.

Doug,

According to another 1989 Wicked Fat Chance that is on the Fat Chance Serial # page on the First Flight Bikes web site: "1989 Wicked 19.5" 16539W" it seems that this orange one is an '89 as the 1990 Wicked on that page is listed with the "W" in the middle of the serial #: "1990 Wicked 18" 736W08".

FYI-Other subtle things to look for to date a frame like a Wicked, are the downtube/head tube gusset, which I think started in 1989 and the riveted on "under the BB plastic Cable Guide", as opposed to the later "bolted on/threaded on plastic cable guide", which came some time after 1990.

Too bad it's too small for me, but it's a nice frameset in a classically obnoxious Fat City color!

Michael-NYC

fat-d

MikeyNYC said:
FYI-Other subtle things to look for to date a frame like a Wicked, are the downtube/head tube gusset, which I think started in 1989 and the riveted on "under the BB plastic Cable Guide", as opposed to the later "bolted on/threaded on plastic cable guide", which came some time after 1990.
Good stuff. We need to come up with a detailed year-by-year guide that contains particulars like these! My Wicked (which I believe is a 1988 due to the "8W" in the serial number) has the gusset as well as the riveted-on plastic cable guide.

Doug Carter

Staff member
MikeyNYC said:
According to another 1989 Wicked Fat Chance that is on the Fat Chance Serial # page on the First Flight Bikes web site: "1989 Wicked 19.5" 16539W" it seems that this orange one is an '89 as the 1990 Wicked on that page is listed with the "W" in the middle of the serial #: "1990 Wicked 18" 736W08".

Yes, exactly like I stated above.
wink.gif
The 90's are numbered differently than '89 and earlier. My deductions were from looking through the registry datatbase kept and posted here in the Registry thread. ;) The original registry was developed using Jeff's list as a base (with permission), and then greatly increased through the listings in that original thread here.

Jeff must be still adding serial numbers to his list, as all of them should have already been in the registry here.

redface.gif

MikeyNYC

Wicked Lite frameset on ebay

scarrylarry said:
my bet its an 89. It has the dont tread on me decal not the Saratoga

It's probably NOT a 1995 for sure-Wasn't the move to Saratoga in 1994?

Michael-NYC

MikeyNYC

Wicked Lite frameset on ebay

fat-d said:
Good stuff. We need to come up with a detailed year-by-year guide that contains particulars like these! My Wicked (which I believe is a 1988 due to the "8W" in the serial number) has the gusset as well as the riveted-on plastic cable guide.

My 1988 "FAT CHANCE" (Serial #: 1085 8 F) Did not come with the downtube Gusset or the 2 gussets inside of the Box Crown fork - They must've started doing that sometime iduring 1988!

Michael-NYC

Doug Carter

Staff member
And to think, I bought my entire Wicked Lite for half of that, and it was about as NOS as you can get private party. This market for Fats right now is stoopid. The bike wasn't even listed correctly and is halfway around the planet.

confused.gif

Yo Eddy!

From an economical point of view it would have been better to buy one some years ago. On the other hand depreciation will still be relatively low, if not not excistent.

Anyway pretty sure the seller will have based his decision primarily on emotional grounds. This is were Henry Royce's saying "Quality will be remember long after the price is forgotten" comes into play. :D

Last edited:

Upchuck

Doug Carter said:
And to think, I bought my entire Wicked Lite for half of that, and it was about as NOS as you can get private party. This market for Fats right now is stoopid. The bike wasn't even listed correctly and is halfway around the planet.

confused.gif

Here's a rookie question. What does NOS mean?

Kirk Pacenti

One more thing....

As you guys have rightly pointed out, this frame is much earlier than 1995. I would agree with the 88-89 dates.

However the thing that tipped me off right away was that Reggie Jackson's signature was on the build tag. He like all other fat employees were not working there in 1995. As a matter of fact, Reggie was working with me at Bontrager in 1995!

Bssc

hay Kirk what is Reggie up to these days he was quite the riding character in the day a great counter point to Big Harry.