SITE STATUS: Please Read

Doug Carter

Staff member
Sorry for the unexpected downtime, guys. It was an unforseen massive spike in server load on Sunday for our main site (ApexSpeed.com) and our host provider gave us the instant ultimatum of moving our site off of the current host, upgrading to a dedicated/managed server or they would shut us down this Thursday morning.

We peeled back as much as we could as an emergency stop-gap, but we are still searching for a long-term solution. We will most likely be moving everything to a dedicated server in the next few days.

Unfortunately, my time with FatCogs.com may be coming to a close. I don't have the time to devote to so many different projects on top of my home life, work life and ApexSpeed.com. I had so many plans for this place, that I have never been able to develop or even devote enough time to begin. I apologize for that, because this community should be so much more than just a discussion board.

Odds are that I will be offering up FatCogs.com for sale soon, and moving away from the collecting of old school bikes, in general. Simplification is my favorite word of 2007, and this will be part of it.

With the pending dedicated server developing with ApexSpeed.com, we will be able to host FatCogs.com on our new server, so anyone interested in the site will have a long-time home, regardless of what happens. Because it is one of my child sites, I don't foresee the "rent" being too much to keep up with. ;)

If you or anyone you know would be interested in purchasing the site for a modest price, I would be open to offers at this point. I don't have any real fixed price for the community in mind, but the purchase price will include the latest version of vBulletin and the domain name, as well as the existing community forums. Hosting would be additional, based on what happens in the next could of days with the new server.

If you want to talk about the site, you can contact me at doug@apexspeed.com or on AIM/Yahoo Messenger at: upon3.

For people asking about decals, that project has been permanently shelved by me, so hopefully someone else can pick up the ball. I know Rody was working on them, and I apologize for not communicating better with him about what I had already worked on. I also have a set of NOS from a European FatCog member who will get them back in one piece, I promise. Things are a bit of a mess right now, but they are on their way back to Europe, good as new.

Again, sorry for the down time this week...

doug

Last edited:

Spikes

Cheer Doug, this site is definitely my favorite. I sincerely hope someone can take over your good work! Thanks for everything.

John

Administrator
Staff member
Doug,

thanks for all your hard work over the years. Glad fatcogs is back online.

Anyhow have dropped you a note....

cheers

John

Yo Eddy!

Totally agree. Thanks for everything Doug! :cool:

Good luck with your new projects you're busy with and and of course also all the best for the apexspeed.com community.

Hope FatCogs.com will come in good hands and looking forward to further expansion of the content. Am willing to contribute.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Thanks guys, I wish it was more than just a static discussion community. Hopefully, the next owner will build it into more than that.

The site will be off-line tonight at about 8 p.m. CT for about an hour, while we move everything to the new dedicated server. It shouldn't take too long to move everything, but I want to make sure that it's all working correctly before turning it back on. My guess is that we'll be down for about an hour tonight while everything is moved.

Once we're back up, we're good to go...

doug