Sell or keep?

aspenvelo

I have 1 MTB. I have always had my one wicked fat since 1990. That's all I ride. Back in 1990 it was a custom build with Ti spokes, handle bars and everything. I wanted it light and it cost me around $2150 at the time. Some years back I came around here and other places and saw that Fat Chance's were being made into single speed bikes. I wasn't riding much at the time but couldn't sell and consider the horror of turning my ride into a single speed.

Last couple of years I've been riding lots more with my Fat. I ride it pretty hard for an old timer. But my butt hurts, back hurts, wrists hurt. I've never tried a SUS or even a front fork outfitted bike. The new shiny bikes are all around me. Heck, they have been for many years. But still I ride my Wicked

Surprisingly I listed my bike on Craigslist thinking I'd simply upgrade to something with newer technology. Maybe it would help my back. Funny thing is - TONS of people are inquiring about my FAT. Now I'm having second thoughts - this bike has been everywhere with me. I'm not sure I can sell it.

theredchili

I have 1 MTB. I have always had my one wicked fat since 1990. That's all I ride. Back in 1990 it was a custom build with Ti spokes, handle bars and everything. I wanted it light and it cost me around $2150 at the time. Some years back I came around here and other places and saw that Fat Chance's were being made into single speed bikes. I wasn't riding much at the time but couldn't sell and consider the horror of turning my ride into a single speed.

Last couple of years I've been riding lots more with my Fat. I ride it pretty hard for an old timer. But my butt hurts, back hurts, wrists hurt. I've never tried a SUS or even a front fork outfitted bike. The new shiny bikes are all around me. Heck, they have been for many years. But still I ride my Wicked

Surprisingly I listed my bike on Craigslist thinking I'd simply upgrade to something with newer technology. Maybe it would help my back. Funny thing is - TONS of people are inquiring about my FAT. Now I'm having second thoughts - this bike has been everywhere with me. I'm not sure I can sell it.

Keep it , I ride my wicked every week , even sunday I was about to pull out my full susser, but the last min pulled the Wicked out, its Single speed and I just love the ride.

Buy a modern bike , but keep the Wicked, you've had it from new, would be a sin if you sold it , not to mention you would regret it in the long term when the novelty of a new bike wore off- just my 2p worth :D

WVEddy

I agree with redchilli. Keep it. If you sell it, you will regret it. I hear you on the "getting old" issue. I bought a full suspension a few years back and it has really increased the amount I can ride. Way less fatigue on the old bones, back and knees. Plus the new riding position is just way more comfortable. Of course you also get the weight and power robbing nature of full suspension, but it cannot be all good. The fat is still a great bike to mix in your schedule. I would recommend a xc style bike. More than four inches of travel just seems nuts to me and a big waste. I have a turner flux and the handling is very xc oriented. It is one of the few bikes with a steeper ht angle. Climbs good and is light.

Just my 2 cents.

tvcreative

keep it...

save a few shekels buy a new one and have both...

I regretted not hanging on to a 1981 Ritchey Everest that I had as a a kid, and it took me 25 years to get it back and restore to the way i had it.

Did my old Ritchey ride like my other more modern bikes?
No...but it sure does a good job of rekindling memories...

the money you will sell that fat for, will not buy you a great new bike with a proper working suspension in my humble opinion...(a crappy full suspension bike or partial suspension bike will be heavier, and fall apart quickly)

Perhaps consider changing your riding/saddle/bar/stem position on the wicked, so that the areas you hurt....hurt less

Zamfir

I would certainly keep the Wicked if you can.

2 years ago i went though a similar situation. Starting riding again with a group of friends, they all had full suspenion bikes and I was rolling on my 91 Marin hard tail. It really was fun but bashing though the rocks, not so much. Then there is the 15 mile point for me when every bump feels amplified, takes so much more energy to ride smooth on a hard tail, full rigid is even more difficult.

Finally decided to look into a modern ride. I went with a 4" travel front and back which for me is perfect. As WVEddy mentioned, any more seems a bit silly. Even with my XC position (seat 3"-4" above flat bars) it very comfortable and fun.

My Wicked is a blast though and surely makes me a better rider.

Have we seen your ride 'velo?

aspenvelo

Thanks - you all make a lot of good points and I'm going to keep it. The one good thing about listing it to sell was the responses I recieved from people qualifying themselves as suitable adoptive parents of the Wicked. This one below I thought was interesting and very nice:

I live in the bay area of California. I ride alot in Marin County, north of S.F.where all the old mountain bikers live and ride. I've met a few of them while riding at a place called China Camp. Always friendly, especially Joe Breeze and Charlie Kelly. Gary Fisher is nice but kind of aloof. I ride my modern bike in the rough areas and my Ibis in areas where it can't get damaged. Once in awhile they have vintage rides and there is usually a few of them with the group, it's pretty cool. Also Chris Chance lives in Marin. I haven't met him. When I find a Fat, I plan on looking him up. I hear he's a massuer smeplace in San Rafael. I still ride pretty actively in the mountains, I can't climb as well as I use to and I don't do air, but I still get around. If you ever get out here, and you like to ride give me some warning I have a few modern mountain bikes around that you can use, we'll go for a ride. Take care