94 Buck Shaver

Bucky

Hi,

now I wanna introduce you to 'Bucky the Grasshopper'. :D

There are so many things to be changed: black brakes and levers, black crank set, stem and bar are borrowed from another bike, wheels too... But I had to build the Bucky as fast as possible, because I really wanted to ride it, all other bikes could wait. And now I can say: I never rode a better bike. What's the secret of the frame? Is it the geometry, the material, the soul? I really don't know... But: I love it!

Temporary part list:

frame: Fat Chance Buck Shaver '94
fork: Tange Struts
stem & bar: Salsa
grips: Onza Ules
seat post: IRD
saddle: Selle Flite Evolution
crank set: Shimano XT (FC-M730) 48t
chain: Eastern Bondage Halflink
wheels: Shimano XT hubs, Araya RM-17 rims with DT spokes and IRC Piranha Pro tires
cog: Chris King 18t
brakes & levers: Suntour XC Pro
headset: Dia Compe

To be continued...

Attachments

• Bucky.JPG
    Bucky.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 101

DC

And now I can say: I never rode a better bike. What's the secret of the frame? Is it the geometry, the material, the soul? I really don't know... But: I love it

I love those original lime green Bucks.

I agree that the Buck Shaver is one of the nicest rides to be had. In ways it seems faster than the Yo!s, I think it is the smoothness of the smaller diameter tubes combined with the legendary geometry. Dream like ride on a company's "budget" bike - now that is the real deal!

Enjoy!

DC

bonsaii

Nice..

...ride and funny picture! Cool green/black build.

I just received my Buck. It's still new, never built and, exept from some small damage to the left downtube decals, flawless.. Quite a dilemma, actually, build or save..? I guess I will build it.:cool:

Anyone know this color? Is there a catchy FCC name on it?

Attachments

• buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
  • buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 23
  • buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 21
  • buck4.jpg
    buck4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 24

Bucky

Thanks. :)

I don't know the color of your frame, but it really looks good. Like 'stone' or something. I would build it of course... :)

Butcher

A couple of fine Buck Shavers!! The Buck Shaver is probably the most under rated Fat in the line up...but for those that know it's one of the best rides.

Bucky - Kudos on the SS build - the clean look just show cases the frame IMO. I like the effect of the blacked out goodies. I would think a few key green ano bits would realy pop.

bonsaii

cranks

A couple of fine Buck Shavers!! The Buck Shaver is probably the most under rated Fat in the line up...but for those that know it's one of the best rides.

Bucky - Kudos on the SS build - the clean look just show cases the frame IMO. I like the effect of the blacked out goodies. I would think a few key green ano bits would realy pop.

And black cranks!!

Bucky

2 years later... 'bucky the grashopper' still makes me happy, but by now got its final build. wanna show you new pictures.

parts:
frame: 1994 fat chance buck shaver 'lime green' size small
fork: tange struts
headset: chris king black sotto voce
headset spacer: chris king
bar: groovy luv handle
stem: salsa
grips: onza ules
brakes: dia compe 987
brake pads: kool stop
brake levers: dia compe ss5
cable hanger: onza chill pills
cables: jagwire??? yellow ones
seatpost: ird 29.4
saddle: lady turbo
bottom bracket: wcw
crank arms: speed tec
chain ring: real 42t
bolts: srp
pedals: time atac alium
chain: eastern bondage halflink
freewheel: chris king 16t
lockring: chris king
spacer: velo solo (uk)
chain tensioner: 'porcupine' handmade by a friend
skewers: shimano xt (searching for black ones)
wheels: ambrosio competition // t-gear // dt swiss
tubes: schwalbe
rims: irc piranha pro - will be dmr supermoto soon

:D

Attachments

• P1030313a.jpg
    P1030313a.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 23
  • P1030312a.jpg
    P1030312a.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1030311a.jpg
    P1030311a.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 22
  • P1030309a.jpg
    P1030309a.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 33
  • P1030318a.jpg
    P1030318a.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 24

bratfass

Wow! Very nice now - how is the handling of the LuvHandles? Would love to get these on my Buck, but I got a Groove stem now and could only mount a flatbar or a riser with less rise

Love the black SpeedTec ranks - got these in purple last year and sold them, cause they werent suiting my (therefore) built, the TiLite - and now I could use them on the lavender

cheers

Michael

Bucky

@ colker: there are only some hills here, no mountains. nothing to 'climb'. ;)

@ bratfass: i LOVE the luv handles! mine are smaller than normal, so it's perfect for me. it's the right economic position for my hands. the speed tecs are one of my alltime favorites. damn good looking cranks. :D

@ theredchili: thanks! nice wicked! :)