Fat Chance Ti Info

northerndave

Can anyone shed any light on the Fat Ti development that lead to the final model?

Quite interested to know if anyone has any info on why and when the seat stays became like the Yo rather than the original mono stay? I know there were some NY bikes with mono stays so it seems it's not just down to tooling in NY...

Notice that Chris himself rides one of the last Ti models.

fat-tony

Staff member
Use the search function on this site or check out post by I Robot (Scott B) who welded the Somerville models. He has documented several design items in his post. He isn't going to be able to help you out though with any of the later Ti's once FAT relocated to NY. Like most others, he didn't make the move. :beer:

I-ROBOT

Tony is right for the most part. Since I didn't make the move, I can't speak for what went on in NY. I do know that the Serotta TI bikes used traditional seatstay geometry and that may have been the reason for switching. Any of the "NY" TI frames that have monostays may have been initially constructed in Somerville and then finished in NY after the move was completed. There were many frames in various stages of construction and that probably included quite a few TI frames that had been tacked together when Somerville closed. It's also likely that they abandoned the machining of the top tube and downtube that was done on the '94 models to eliminate the sleeves and create "butted" tubes (since butted TI tubing did not exist then).

And, in a touch of irony, my daughter Liz who was 2 when FCC shut the doors, now lives right around the corner from where the Olive Square shop was. Go figure

Enjoy
Scott

Can anyone shed any light on the Fat Ti development that lead to the final model?

Quite interested to know if anyone has any info on why and when the seat stays became like the Yo rather than the original mono stay? I know there were some NY bikes with mono stays so it seems it's not just down to tooling in NY...

Notice that Chris himself rides one of the last Ti models.

So i asked Chris. He seemed to remember a tool breaking that was used to make the mono stays so they switched the design at that point to the later designed stays. We rode again Sunday. Scott, I Told him you said Hi!

Jon