A Chance Encounter

Repack Rider

Chris Chance now lives in California. Today I dragged him out on a ride, although he said he hasn't ridden on dirt in years. Joe Breeze and his son Tommy joined us, along with a couple of other friends. Chris was riding a titanium Fat Chance which he told me had been in a box for the last eight years. No matter, he hasn't forgotten how to ride a bike. The garden gloves were a nice touch.

We shredded singletrack for a couple of hours, then retired to the Iron Springs Brewery for suds and nachos.

Although Fat Chance bikes are not that common in California, out on the trail we met a rider on an old Team Fat Chance, with the exact logo that Chris had on his shorts. You might say that rider was thrilled! Some pix, we'll see how they come across.

chance01.jpg

chance02.jpg

joe.jpg

tvcreative

A virtual who's who...of what's what...

thank you for making it all happen...and starting my confounded obsession early.

Last edited:

Marc996

awesome!!!!

does he know about this website ? i was always curious what his thoughts were about all the fat chance fans restoring old bikes :)

that's just relighted my Fat mojo...after a number of years sometimes the steeds in the garage seem a little 'stale' and love somewhat ebb's a tad...

but along comes a story like this and BAM, it's full on love story again....

Flipping ACE...:D

whats the story with Chris's ride, was it a stored frame, that he just cobbled together for the ride? did you manage to get the frame number, size etc.

Again does Chris know the love for his work?

Happy days...more of the same please

Alan

Wish I had known! I would have joined in! I got 2 rides in over the weekend in Marin but didn't see any other Fat Chances or legends in Mt Biking for that matter. Thanks for the photos!

rthomer

It's certainly inspiring to see him out there, and he looks happy!
I smiled too.
Great stuff and a big thanks to Charlie.

Kirk Pacenti

That's great!

Last time I spoke to him, Chris was working in the "Healing Arts"... It looks like it was a good move for him. He seems happy and healthy; good for him!

Cheers,
KP

chefmiguel

Thanks for posting the story and pics, more importantly thank you for dragging him out. I hope he doesn't put the bike away for any period of time and restarts his love for cycling in general.

smittylube

>>>Chris was working in the "Healing Arts"...<<<

I would say he was doing that when building bikes also. I know riding my wicked 'heals' me. :)