SS conversion question

smittylube

Hi guys,
I recently moved to the santa cruz area and am SUPER close to unreal single track..
I find many of folks riding SS and it all of sudden totally makes sense to me and my 91 wicked.
I have a white hub with an 8 speed. Do I just get an adapter that replaces my cassette?
Or is it best to get a SS hub? I have the older narrow spacing so a road hub would work if I need to.

And I am going to put my bio on and take off Judy.... Should be pretty light then. (And fun!)

mainlyfats

Hi guys,
I recently moved to the santa cruz area and am SUPER close to unreal single track..
I find many of folks riding SS and it all of sudden totally makes sense to me and my 91 wicked.
I have a white hub with an 8 speed. Do I just get an adapter that replaces my cassette?
Or is it best to get a SS hub? I have the older narrow spacing so a road hub would work if I need to.

And I am going to put my bio on and take off Judy.... Should be pretty light then. (And fun!)

I've become a big fan of the surly set-up that replaces a cassette with spacers - something I used to build out of old cassettes for people when I worked in a shop and the cassettes were held together with bolts. It's great to be able to switch out gears easily and less costly than buying an assortment of quality freewheels.

You'll still need a singulator or similar device with this. I have a street bike with a two speed 38-48, 16T cog set up and a Paul Melvin that works beautifully.

smittylube

Thanks guys- I love the simplicity of it all.

A buddy has a front 34 for me we think. I figure try it and see- if not I can always go back.

I have though about maybe just a 1 up front and keep the 8 in back? but I wonder if the chain will stay on in front without a guide of some sort.

Been trying middle ring in front and 4th in rear just to test if I can hang SS style on my local trails.. I can do most all of it.

smittylube

I think I want to go 32 front- is that a special ring or can I just grab one at any LBS?

Currently have a 36 middle ring so I do think that would be a bit too steep for my local climbs. I have 20/18/16 to choose from in back.

chainline

BCD= BOLT CENTER DIAMETER.Ok it looks like you are running 110 i think the lowest chainring you will be able to find for that may be a 34 tooth so. with that you would want to run a 19-22 tooth that would give you the best combo for all applications !

smittylube

Ok thanks. I'm going to try that 36 with the 20 to start. Maybe I can find a 22 and be done. However I think I still should find a SS ring- 34 would proble be better than 36 I'm guessing.. But armed with the 110 number I know what to look for- BTW do you carry what I need at your shop (I am assuming you are at a bike shop?)
If so Pm me w your phone and I'll ring you up.

smittylube

WOW it rides so killer in my new trails. it was a bit tough on some of the climbs, spins and wont let me really blast on the road downhill, but what a fantastic riding bike. the wicked is exactly that in the single track. I had some reservations on the steps and drop offs going full rigid v my squishy Santa cruz but it handles them almost as well. it handles the tight twisty back and forth like true champion. And my back wheel and chain did not fall off the entire ride!

I think ENO is in the future for me ;)

chainline

Cool. Yeah finding a compromise for gearing can be a chore but when you get stronger and can run a higher gear it will be all cake from there....

smittylube

Yeah I can't get over how killer it is especially with my previous opinion of SS.
I used to love the simplistic look, but it seemed so stupid.
Boy was I wrong.

And my gearing is almost perfect. I'll try a 34 front when you get them and see.

smittylube

All I did was remove the large front ring- Now I'm thinking I should have moved my middle ring out to that position and redo the rear alignment- Is that the standard? That is how the ENO would line up I suppose?

Also anyone who has used this forte hub conversion- are you using any washer or adapter at the nut- On this one the nut lands on the little notches of the alum spacers and if you torque on it it starts to distort them.