Indy Fabulous

tvcreative

A Salsa Cromato is a good fork for short cash

I think they are 420 to 425 AtoC and less than 125 bucks

It would work well with that rig

www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222377555/82/Salsa-CroMoto-26-Disc.html?gclid=CNmwo7S46bQCFY1DMgodp0oAow[/url]

sneb

good to know about these paul brakes!
i come back to what i said before. if you put a 700c wheel into a fork made for a 26er wheel, trail will increase depending on headtube° and rake due to the bigger diameter of the wheel. to get a bike which is as fast around the edges as the original setup, a fork with bigger rake will help.

cheers
:sneb

Attachments

• Trail80rake.jpg
    Trail80rake.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 9

Zamfir

Thanks to everybody for the great advice.

Still in the dreaming mode about parts and build. Definitely going to stay full rigid and cantis on the front/rear.

For the past couple of days i've researched some of the fork experts like Igleheart, IF, Waltworks, Steve Potts, Geekhouse, Black Cat, and Hunter. Also surfed the 'bay. Any of these would be completely awesome but i've only dealt with Igleheart, his work is top notch and is currently on the top on my list, but i'm not ready to jump just yet.....

I do have my eyes open for parts though. This is what i'm thinking:

Igleheart segmented fork.
Syncros stem with cable guide.
CK lo no logo threaded hs
Campy brake levers/cantis
Phil Wood white ss hubs
Either Mavic 231 or Weimann (late 80's) super wide rims. The W's look so cool!
XTR cranks with Isis bb. Not sure which model #, but I have a grubby set waiting for a polishing and install.

So I guess you can see i'm going for a "retro" look ss.

Zamfir

A couple more pics.....

.....of the neat frame details.

I also think these show the color better.

Attachments

• Guss.jpg
    Guss.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 14
  • ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13

colker

surly 1x1 fork costs 80 bucks. It's butted. Looks good. you buy and ride it. why not?? even if it's just to taste de bike. You can convert your king from threadless to threaded, later if you must have a quill stem.

Zamfir

Surly fork looks pretty nice, price is decent as well. Guess I wouldn't feel bad about hacking off the disk mount as well.

As I mentioned earlier i'm just in the dream mode right now, build list was half pipe dream and half parts I have already.

My reasoning behind this build are all personal. I was huge into mt biking in the early 90's and lost interest when V-brakes and suspension broke big. Fast forward to about 5 years ago when I got back into riding. I gave in and picked up a 26" wheeled full sus ride, it was nice, fast, and comfortable. I really enjoyed it until I tried a friends single speed and realized how soft and lazy I have become. I currently ride a full rigid Niner SIR singlespeed and just love the ride, so much i'm planning on riding it solo in our local 24 hour race this spring. I do keep the geared marshmallow for big mountain rides but prefer the SS for everything else.

So I guess the point i'm trying to make is that I would like to build this bike with parts that would complement the frame and still put a big smile on my face. Nothing makes me happier than a top notch frame, segmented forks, and canti brakes.

Zamfir

I know, maybe i'm crazy or just have my head stuck in the past (or somewhere else less appealing).........

colker

I know, maybe i'm crazy or just have my head stuck in the past (or somewhere else less appealing).........
it doens't have canti brake bridge. If it was a 1in headset i would be the first to shout threaded.
you have a frame for a quick modern build around 00 parts. easy to find rigid or susp forks. just build it w/ v brakes. it's still vintage rim braking...;)

Zamfir

Yeah I might end up with V's. I have a number of sets that I have removed from various bikes, including my Wicked. I just don't like how they look and that you have to use V-compatible brake levers.

I work in the patent industry and do many Shimano patents so I guess i'm just jaded with technology.