The next Fat Chance?

colker

it won't happen right now.. mountain bike was a new frontier. it was a vortex of style, attitude and a new way to pedala bike: half BMX, half road bike love.
fat chance was vanguard and helped create the creature as we know. now road riding is more dynamic than mtb. trails are closed. there is freeriding and suspension is far more rational than a sweet alchemy of tube diameters, perfect welding, smart geometry and tasty paint.
it's gone. unless you believe 29ers are reinventing the sport. i don't.

fatf**knchance

indy fab would be a good nomination if your looking at bikes only. if your looking at the company as a whole, no way! IF is way too yuppie GQ.

Spikes

Brent Steelman maybe? He's been around a while. I love his bikes. Remember that mtb from around 1991 that was clearcoated only to save weight? You could see the filled brazes that had a different color than the tubing.

CTYankee

I came real close to ordering a new IF a few weeks ago - mainly because of a pending price increase but in the end I just couldn't pull the trigger since I'm am not exactly sure what I want. I have a couple of old Stumpjumpers and Fats (pictures posted here on another thread) but for various reasons want a new bike.

The IF bike that got me thinking about a new bike is a bike they call the Alfine Cruiser - built around a new Shimano 8 speed internal hub which is part of the Alfine Group - a picture is posted on the IF riders website under other bikes. For the record I'm an older guy who needs to sit more upright and want to carry some camera gear in a front rack so this bike or something close to it just seems to fit the bill.

Anyway in my various travels over the internet while doing Shimano Alfine searches, I found a website called A.N.T. Alternative Needs Transportation. Very interesting website and very interesting bike building philosophy - in 10 years we all may have to have bikes like he is building. The builder is a former Fat and IF employee who some of you may know although I was not familiar with him before I found the website.

Anyway this is the bike I've been thinking about - I may have to take a ride up to his shop soon......... And in 10 years, we maybe posting our messages on AntCogs...........

http://www.antbikemike.com/images/Bikes/29er/mikebig.jpg

CTYankee

Last edited:

Yo Eddy!

Steelman makes some very nice chassis, as does Soulcraft for example.

Mike of ANT bike is putting a lot of effort in offering mobility solution, not just sport products. Our world must learn and benefit from people like Mike. Much respect for people with an attitude like his.

But the next Fat Chance will be BMW. Enough kids who are drooling, but can't afford and it has not peaked in the way XC did.

corky3

hmmm

fatf**knchance said:
indy fab would be a good nomination if your looking at bikes only. if your looking at the company as a whole, no way! IF is way too yuppie GQ.

I don't think IF now have much of a different 'image' than Fat City back then personally. They both produce/d expensive steel/TI frames with a slightly 'retro' image.... just my opinion though

Anybody ridden a Pegoretti?

Just thought I'd throw out Pegoretti as possibly the new cool source of innovative TIG welded steel frames. They don't make mountain bikes as far as I know but they've got intriguing rear triangles with the most massive chain stays I

Yo Eddy!

Hi Max,

They do make MTBs probably ->

pogo_r2_c3.gif

Zook

yeah, Pegoretti's are super fresh but I've seen some pretty rough welds on a few lately which has me thinking. I've got a steelman cyclocross and it is a fantastic bike with great attention paid to the details, gussets at the head tube, custom stem and I've got a lugged fork also.

mainlyfats

I'm feelin' you...

... on the Pegoretti thing.

Pretty commited to the TIG-ing - with the exception of the Luigino lugged - but, hey, I had lugged Chris Chance myself.

Pretty commited to making bikes it's kind of hard to tell apart except by price tag -
like the yo!, monster, bro or even weirder fat chance, wicked. wicked lite, team.
Let's face it, you really have to have forgotten important childhood events to make room for the minutae that differentiates them (either that or a scale handy).

Possible business implosion imminent - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=3668 - (by the way, that's probably the best written thing I've ever come across on an e-commerce website).

So check, check, check.

The aluminum thing is a little alarming though...

settemarche

The Crystal Ball

1. Black Sheep/DEAN: i do like the call. but if i am not mistaken, Black Sheep is just a re-badged DEAN. which i think DEAN might be one of the brands that will come to have a Fat-ish following.<p>

2. Indy Fab: just too cool. just too expensive. but it really comes down to getting what you pay for. in the age of gobalization that we live in IF needs to charge obscene prices. that pays the craftsmens bills. and just like riding a Fat - who are you going to see on an IF in your area?<p>

3. Ibis: to me this is the Fat Chance of the West Coast. get frame names (Mojo, Alibi, Hakkalugi!) interesting materials. and an overall enjoyment for the sport and culture that is mountain biking.<p>

4. Groovy: Rhodes is a Fat fan. he should get an honorable mention.<p>

5. Sycip: West Coast guys picking up where Ibis and Salsa left off. making all sorts of Ti, AL and Cro Mo stuff. they have found a niche like Fat did making odd bikes that people are totally stoked on.<p>

6. Pegoretti: never heard of them before i checked this thread. but i will tell you i might just drop by there shop next week. i an travelling in to Italy and i Italian is clean. maybe we should hook up a group buy or something. let me know if there is any interst. i am flying into Milan and after that i am heading to Cortina - Trento, where the shop is - is on the way. their web site mentions a love of beer - we can do this!<p>

7. Ventana: yeah it's aluminum - but check those welds. anyone who has welded knows that welding aluminum is 5x's harder than welding Cro Mo or SS! small indy shop producing their own product. never should have sold my Marble Peak!<p>

8. Voodoo: i really like the early to mid 90's Joe Murray stuff. i have an early Bizango and it rides unreal. but the Voodoo brand has been bought and sold several times so the consumer always thinks they have an original. i feel this can hurt the overall value.<p>

9. Kona: again going back to Joe Murray. i think the early to mid 90's Kona stuff was great. good materials and a good marketing campagin. maybe it is just me but the early Kona's are something that i would like to have in my collection.<p>

just my 2 cents,

sette

thrashin

i think my vote would have to go with vicious cycles, maybe even rock lobster. someone earlier mentioned ibis, i think ibis already has the following. i have owned a few myself including the full suspension Szazbo I have now. although i would be willing to trade the ibis for another fat ;)