Usage question – how often do you ride your FATS?

zack

Question for the group! How often do you ride your FATS? Once a week, twice or more.
Do you trail ride or road them, since they are not easily replaced.
Just want to get a feel for this; I do ride my 98 Yo year round, 3-4 times a week.

Question for the group! How often do you ride your FATS? Once a week, twice or more.
Do you trail ride or road them, since they are not easily replaced.
Just want to get a feel for this; I do ride my 98 Yo year round, 3-4 times a week.

I too ride my '98 Yo 2-4 times a week time & weather permitting. There is a great 8 mile single-track loop about 1 mile from my house (China Camp State Park) I also ride my '89 & '90 Team Comps 1-2 times per month.

northerndave

Living in London, I ride them less than once a week, every couple of weeks I'd guess. My Serotta and IF Crown Jewel are my daily riders. 80 miles a week on those..

WVEddy

Once a month, but always off road. I ride all the same trails i ride my turner, just maybe a little less aggressive. I do ride it more in the summer, and never in the rain. I guess after a couple grand in the last rebuild I baby the old girl more than I used to. When I do ride it, I tell myself I need ride her more. Too many bikes and not enough time.

chainline

Every day...commute back and forth to work with it and throw in a little single track on the way home... good times....

Zamfir

If the trails are (mostly) dry I normally choose the Wicked over my other bikes, perhaps 2 rides a week. The ride quality is just so nice, plus it looks so cool!

So far this year we've had so much rain in the Northwest that i've been very reluctant to hit the trails on any steel bike. My old Yeti suffered the dreaded rusted seat tube years ago which has put the fear in me.

Considering riding a local 24hr race on my Wicked though. I've been pushing for a vintage class and there seems to be a little interest.

wryte64

I converted my 1987 Kicker into a one by six urban assault vehicle and ride it three to four times a week where I live now. When I was still living back east I rode it every day to work, weather permitting. A couple of years ago I overhauled the press in bottom bracket with parts I was able to order from Roddy at Groovey Cycle works. It's 25 years old and going strong!

MonsterMan

Constantly!

Maybe every other day, sometimes every three days, toggle between road and fixie depending on weather...... has been rainy so the Monster is filthy, Tuesday night mountain bike time trials have started, so after this week's race I couldn't stand it and washed it last night... but here are a few mud pics...

My best to all,

MonsterMan (Paul)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmoseleyphotos/sets/72157623491141518/

Attachments

• 2012 Muddy Monster Fat 01.jpg
    2012 Muddy Monster Fat 01.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2012 Muddy Monster Fat 05.jpg
    2012 Muddy Monster Fat 05.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2012 Muddy Monster Fat 08.jpg
    2012 Muddy Monster Fat 08.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 10

rick

how often do you ride yoir Fats?

all the time. I commute daily on a late 80s Fat and all of our bikes are Fats so whenever we ride, we are riding Fat. There are a few that are wall hangers but there are 6 or 8 that I ride regularly

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Gotta be in the every-once-in-awhile camp.

My everyday daily rider/commuter is a Steelman Eurocross with slicks and a rack. My main offroad riding 1-2x a week is split between a WTB Phoenix and a Wicked 80/20 or thereabouts over the course of a month. The yellow '93 Yo and the Chris Chance come out once or twice a month. And I tend to do a couple longer road rides a week on my IF.

Last year I was on the yellow Yo more than anything though, split offroad duty with a Salsa 60/40.

Still waiting on the Monster rebuild and the '91 Yo rebuild....

snaps

4 or 5 times a week..

A bolt that releases my bike carrier to ground level for access to the tailgate broke
goin down the road a couple weeks ago and my back wheel on the 87 wicked got twisted beyond
repair, so I did have to ride my Klein for a bit, but when its up-running, the wicked
gets all the road time and 80% of the off-road stuff ( only use the Klein for the crazy
stuff that screams suspension)

nader

what do you do when you have many good and nice classics and the best one of them is a FAT? you drive it?
I'm going to try it but so far it's possible to drive only road trips.

At best would be if you had only two FATs. One for driving and the other for bike room! ;);)

zack

what do you do when you have many good and nice classics and the best one of them is a FAT? you drive it?
I'm going to try it but so far it's possible to drive only road trips.

At best would be if you had only two FATs. One for driving and the other for bike room! ;);)

I have one Fat (yo-eddy) and I always want to ride...it's just so clean when climbing and riding single track! It's just a blast.....

tvcreative

Well, I have quite a few fats, but I can say I ride at least one of them, 1 to 2 times a week.

The Wicked's I have are so darn comfy, the Yo's are so darn fun.

The Slim hardly ever gets ridden...

If I ride the road, I am on my seven, serotta, or eriksen.

Truth be told - I ride my Ellsworth Evolve 29er more than anything, it's fast, it's furious, and forgiving.

Hux

My Yo was in constant use from '94 to '99, then not as much for the next two years, then once in a blue moon for the next five, to not at all since. Dusted it off with a backpack blower and took it out for a few laps around the block the other day. Dropped it off at the shop to true up the back wheel and proceeded to buy some new shoes and gloves in anticipation of the next ride. Time to get back in the saddle and get back into the woods.