2000 Ti Fat

UBWINE

I was recently given a 2000 Ti Fat bike from a friend. After riding it for the first time, I noticed the chain slipping and decided to take it in to my local shop for a basic tune up. Just got a call that the middle ring had 3 teeth missing and needs replacing. The whole bike has shimano XT and XTR components on it. The replacement part is going to be a Deore. My question is, Should I just replace the entire drive train with something more modern? Sounds like parts are hard to come by for the current set up.

mainlyfats

I was recently given a 2000 Ti Fat bike from a friend. After riding it for the first time, I noticed the chain slipping and decided to take it in to my local shop for a basic tune up. Just got a call that the middle ring had 3 teeth missing and needs replacing. The whole bike has shimano XT and XTR components on it. The replacement part is going to be a Deore. My question is, Should I just replace the entire drive train with something more modern? Sounds like parts are hard to come by for the current set up.

It's almost impossible to be missing teeth on a middle ring and have a bike you could pedal 10 feet.

Where do you live in California? I'm sure one of us could recommend a better shop - your bike is likely out of their league.

mainlyfats

If you have any business in Point Reyes - I realize that's a bit of a hike - you'd have access to the one man I'd trust above pretty much anyone in the world to return your bike to tip top shape: Mike Varley at Black Mountain Cycles.

http://blackmtncycles.com/

UBWINE

Thanks for the info. One more question. Is it possible to change the drive train to a 1x10, or 1x11 setup without having to replace the wheel?