89 Wickedness

Zamfir

Hello 'Fat lovers!

Thought i'd kick this build thread out slow with few words and a few pics.

Specs and build info to be added soon......if there is interest.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• wicked.jpg
    wicked.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 160
  • grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Fork.jpg
    Fork.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 107
  • frameset1.jpg
    frameset1.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 173

Zamfir

Thank you

So far the build is turning out nicer than I had hoped for.

The white tires have been replaced with blackwall Smoke/Darts. Also replaced the qr's with the stock Campys.

Build should be completed today and I hope to rake it for a trail ride this afternoon.

Zamfir

I agree, the white tires lighten it up.

The Schwalbe are just a little too wide for the frame (2.25"). Hoping to find some Porcs!

Zamfir

2 more pictures

First shows the lovely head tube, Iglefork, and white tires. Great combo.

Second is completed bike on the trail. What an exceptional ride, almost springy the way it handles the twisties.

One of the more amazing aspects of this build is how well the drivetrain is working. I'm using Suntour 8 speed thumbies, XT 7 speed rear, XT front, and Campy 8spd Athena wheelset (with alphabet cogs).

Epic ride!

Attachments

• BChance1.jpg
    BChance1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 68
  • BChance2.jpg
    BChance2.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 114

Zamfir

More info

Just for some basic build info:

Frame: 1989 Wicked
Fork: 2011 Igleheart with Wright dropouts
Headset: Chris King Gripnut
Stem: Salsa (90mm)
Bar: Easton Matrix
Seatpost: Origin 8
Saddle: Selle Italia Leader
Shifters: Suntour XC Expert, 8spd
Brake Levers: DiaComp SS-5
Cantilevers: Shimano SLR DX, flat black
Crankset: 1989 Shimano XT, Shimano chainrings
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M735 Shortcage
Front: XT
Chain SRAM 8spd
Wheels: Campagnolo Athena 8spd, Campy QR, Mavic 231, DT butted spokes, blue alloy nipples.
Tires: Yet to be decided. Running Smoke/Dart.

Zamfir

Due to popular demand......

I will mount the white Schwalbe's again and check for clearances. At the shop they seemed a little too close to the chainstays, didn't want to scratch the pretty new paint!

Pics to be posted later today......

rmp

Hey Zamfir -

Does your Igle fork have the "tabs" welded on the backsides where the legs meet the crown?

My Igle fork lacks these - I wonder if it's because the newer steel is better than the old non-heat treated stuff that the BITD (back in the day) forks were made of? I think I asked Chris about this but never heard back.

Nice build!

rmp

Zamfir

No tabs

Hello RMP.

I didn't discuss the tabs with Chris so I wasn't surprised that my fork didn't have them.

My fork has a vintage Columbus fluted and threaded streerer tube. Paragon Wright dropouts, and non-suspension corrected geometry, all suggested by Chris.

I'm sure he could make replicas of the original Yo's, though the price might be a bit more.

Cheers!

Zamfir

White tires, Pulstar hubs.....

Chainstays are just wide enough to rock the Schwalbs.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 122
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 63
  • angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 62

tvcreative

Great job....I would be proud to have this in my stable.

while everyone here in fat-land likes the white tires...

I personally think it looks good with black too...I also think some blue sidewalled ritchey speed max could be fun too...

I say run the tires that rock your world on the singletrack...as riding the bike is more important than drooling on it...

chainline

Great job....I would be proud to have this in my stable.

while everyone here in fat-land likes the white tires...

I personally think it looks good with black too...I also think some blue sidewalled ritchey speed max could be fun too...

I say run the tires that rock your world on the singletrack...as riding the bike is more important than drooling on it...

Yeah but Jim. you can ride and drool at the same time..... the white tires are popping this bike . me want.

rmp

Hello RMP.

I didn't discuss the tabs with Chris so I wasn't surprised that my fork didn't have them.

My fork has a vintage Columbus fluted and threaded streerer tube. Paragon Wright dropouts, and non-suspension corrected geometry, all suggested by Chris.

I'm sure he could make replicas of the original Yo's, though the price might be a bit more.

Cheers!

Yeah, Chris built my fork custom as well, and when I was talking to him about it, he mentioned that all of the old BOI and Yo Eddy forks floating around (and bringing in huge $ on ebay) were not heat treated and that he couldn't convince Chris to spring for that back in the day.

I also recall that the first forks didn't have that teardrop gusset on the back and they broke, so they added it (I think that story was told here, maybe by Scott B?). So when mine didn't come with the gussets (I didn't ask for them either, just told him I wanted a segmented fork with 1990 Wicked Geo) I assumed it was because the modern heat treated steel didn't need it. After all, Chris probable built all of those old forks, so if anyone would know - it's be him!

rmp

Zamfir

I do like the look and idea behind the gussets. I also think stylistically they match the Fat frame gussets nicely.

My fork with uncut steerer came in at 1lb 6 oz. Very light. Complete bike is currently at 25lbs.