Wicked resto of sorts

smittylube

SO I almost sold this, for $350. then found my new home here.

Wheels, rear derailer, shifters/ brake combo, 8 speed instead of 6, threadless judy (courtesy of Settemarche), All new cables and housings, new king no thread, salsa threadless stem new rear pads, new seat.
About 1/2 lb lighter. 25 & 3/4 ish lbs.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 39
  • fat1.jpg
    fat1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 76
  • fat2.jpg
    fat2.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 60
  • b4fat1.jpg
    b4fat1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:

smittylube

Well I messed up. Yes that is the wheel. The last pic is before the middle 2 are after. And I weighed it again on the same scale and just over 1 lb savings! 25.3# with a shock- yippee!

smittylube

yes I did but when I saw this I could not resist. I can put Rodys on when be gets to it. Might b 2 months or two years. When I saw these forks I could not resist

rthomer

One Question

What are you doing with a garage full of batteries?

Nice Ride....fork is cool, Rody's will be even cooler.

smittylube

:) this is my shop. I fix cars all day (& bikes or rc heli's) it is nice to have so many tools to fix things or build or whatever. I just love to tinker.

Yes it will be fantastic with Rodys fork on when it arrives.

However I do love suspension and when I saw the new yellow I had 2 have it. My old mag was threaded and this is threadless - new king no thread, but I was able to eliminate the quill adapter and 7 or 8 oz of weight. I know a lot of peeps want to keep it period, but I prefer the rapidfire style of shifter and with the stuff I got from Settemarche I went from 6 speed thumbies to 8 speed integrated rapidfire and dropped some weight!

I am sure I will go back and forth with Rodys forks when they arrive- till I figure out which I like the best. Light and bitchin looking or heavier and squishy and still bitchin!

Steve

bonsaii

yes I did but when I saw this I could not resist. I can put Rodys on when be gets to it. Might b 2 months or two years. When I saw these forks I could not resist

Does it take from two months to two years for Rody to build, or for you yo put on? What I mean is; did you receive it, but want to run suspension some more..?

smittylube

No- what I meant is Rody's backlog is 24 months.. he said he will be doing a fork batch and that he should be able add mine to the batch.. that would still be more like 2 months.. That being said i dont want to rush the artist :) . it will be done when it is done. It will be awesome when done as well.. He will be making it threadless so now a fork swap will be effortless and quick. I will be able to send my fork in for service and keep riding and or swap it out to see what rides best. When I saw this fork I just had to get it.. I am sooooo stoked already with a total rebuild, new cables and housings, headset, shifters, white ti wheelset, 8 speed not 6, IMO a better fork and a lighter bike. And the yellow is what it needed :D

Steve

IF52

Does it take from two months to two years for Rody to build...

Rody is really, REALLY busy with his business, plus he works a 'real' job as well, plus has a family. You have to remember he does EVERYTHING, not just welding or painting. He does contract out the powdercoating, but other than that, it's pretty much just him. So yeah, up to two years. I've been waiting for a year for him to finish repairing a frame, build a fork and also added another fork for him to paint a few months ago. I'm surely chomping at the bit as they say, but honestly as long as Rody keeps me up to date with were he is at, I don't worry about it. The guy has to have a really life outside the shop afterall.

smittylube

Exactly

I had no idea this was his sideline, regardless all the good things I hear it will be well worth the wait. This takes any pressure off of both of us.

That is why I did what I did .. I also like to tinker anyway.

steve

smittylube

I was not meaning anything about Rodys pace, just me liking to tinker and tweek. I saw those forks in yellow and I HAD to have em!

now I just found another bonus- my 2.2 captain will fit on the front! It just keeps getting better!!!!

Steve

Last edited:

IF52

Exactly

I had no idea this was his sideline, regardless all the good things I hear it will be well worth the wait. This takes any pressure off of both of us.

That is why I did what I did .. I also like to tinker anyway.

steve

I don't know if I'd call it a side line as much as an also line. If you follow his blog at all you can tell he is pretty passionate about both careers, and obviously dedicated to his family. Sleep on the other hand seems optional

smittylube

I have not spent much time going through his blogs, but his shop and his work looked stellar to me. so much so I am very surprised he does not do this full time or his main job. I just figured he was really good and that was why he was so backed up.. Seems to me if he is backed up 24 months maybe this should be his only gig.. I would love a job like that..

Additionally he returned my phone call, and the times I did talk to him you know he REALLY knows his stuff as well is a nice personable guy to boot. The sort anyone would like to work with on any project big or small..
Just my impressions.

Steve

IF52

I have not spent much time going through his blogs, but his shop and his work looked stellar to me. so much so I am very surprised he does not do this full time or his main job. I just figured he was really good and that was why he was so backed up.. Seems to me if he is backed up 24 months maybe this should be his only gig.. I would love a job like that..

Additionally he returned my phone call, and the times I did talk to him you know he REALLY knows his stuff as well is a nice personable guy to boot. The sort anyone would like to work with on any project big or small..
Just my impressions.

Steve

Beleive me, I was NOT being critical of Rody. He does know his stuff and his work is beautiful. You are correct, in my opinion, that he is backed up because his work is good thus in high demand, on top of the other demands on his time.

smittylube

Well I had a chance to ride it this weekend with the new goodies... I love it. really rides great, shifting is fantastic now, I did not even notice the shocks- that is a good thing because before I hated the feel of the mag shock. I like the rapid fire and dont miss the thumbies a bit.
It is really nice to ride these killer bikes on some fun trails.. A slight bit of rain helps also :)

Steve

rthomer

Hey Smitty,
If I'm not out of line here, I want to nominate you as FAT COGS of the Month Most Enthusiastic Poster. If there was such a thing.
At an incredible 1.86 posts per day since joining the site March 26,2009, you have really added some fun and interest here. I enjoy your posts and input.
Your Wicked is wicked.....go out and find another Fat!
Thanks,
Rob

smittylube

Right on!

And I would like to thank Jeff (settemarche) and Doug Carter for their help and prompt shipments of goodies reinventing my stoke of the wicked fat chance :} As well as the others who have chimed in.

Funny I am more stoked about this bike than my Ventana la bruja version 1 that apparently Sherwood only made 50 or 100 of them..

Regardless I like I mentioned earlier I had set up this bike for sale for $350. I even had a $100 deposit for 2 months or more.. then I was at a LBS getting a new full sus bike for my Wife ;) and the guy mentions you may want to check on fleabay.. Well thats how I got here.. And the ressurection began :D

Last thing I need is a good front tire.. mine is about 10+ years old and the sidewall is ready to pop..

Glad to get a smile on your face, and you gave me one too!

Steve

smittylube

So I have been riding my wicked as well as my Ventana FS. Last nite I took the wicked up to one of my fav local rides 'long ridge Saratoga gap'. Just did the same ride 2 days before. Guess what, the wicked rode faster, lighter felt awesome. now of course in the bumps and no disc brk made it even that much more exciting but it rode unreal!

These bikes r worth every penny.