• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Trade a 18.5" Ibis SS for something bigger?

IF52

Now it is For Sale - 18.5" Ibis SS

Now the frame is for sale, no trades. Thanks for all help. I have to clear some bikes and stuff out for the new addition, Yo!

Last edited:

colker

I just bought an Ibis SS or XS frame from ebay. The dimensions listed were kind of all over the place so I took a chance it was either a 17" (wife's size) or a 20" (closer to my size) and it was neither. It actually is a 18.5" c-c with a 22.75 top tube. Anybody interested in trading it for something more my size? That is to say something similar quality and >23" top tube.

I'll post a couple pictures in a few.

ride it! ibis have short top tubes but the handling is magnificent. that's a medium large bike.. built w/ a135mm stem and a laid back seatpost it will fit you fine.

IF52

I've been debating it. My IF has a ~23.25 or so top tube, my McMahon has a 23.5, the Monster has ~23.5 and the huge Stumpjumper Comp is nearer to 24". 22.75 is about what the GT Avalanche I had back in 88 had, but with a longer seat tube. I'll have to get a mile long seatpost and l-o-n-g stem to get this thing to fit.

Still, if somebody has something they are willing to trade or part trade, I'm am all ears, eyes, whatever.

I should point out I'm 6'5", hence the interest in finding something bigger.

Picture to follow.

colker

I've been debating it. My IF has a ~23.25 or so top tube, my McMahon has a 23.5, the Monster has ~23.5 and the huge Stumpjumper Comp is nearer to 24". 22.75 is about what the GT Avalanche I had back in 88 had, but with a longer seat tube. I'll have to get a mile long seatpost and l-o-n-g stem to get this thing to fit.

Still, if somebody has something they are willing to trade or part trade, I'm am all ears, eyes, whatever.

I should point out I'm 6'5", hence the interest in finding something bigger.

Picture to follow.

6'5"? oooops!!!
it's small bike.

IF52

IbisSS1.jpg

Headtube.jpg

Sebastopol.jpg

IF52

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The guy had it listed as a large but his measurements were crazy. He had a c-c seat tube measurement of 19 and to the top of the seat tube of 21.5 but also had the top tube listed as 21.5 so I contacted him and asked him to measure the top tube and he came back with 22.5" I figure cool, it is either a 20" based on the goofy seat tube measurement or 17 inch based on his top tube re-measurement.
Then I get the thing and measure it in person and top tube is 22.75 and seat tube 18.5 c-c. Doh! Right between me and my wife. And even if it was a 17 it would be right at the top size wise for standover and top tube length for my wife.

I wondered at first if it was even an Ibis, but the dimensions say yes. Seat post size is correct too and other things hint to it as well. Good decals, cleared over, sealed tubes. Not sure of the year, but it has 1 inch head tube and suntour dropouts if that helps. Ibis bikes don't seem to have a following like Fat Cogs so it's hard to research it.

IF52

And believe me, I've measure it 100 times hoping I miss measured it the first 99 time ;)

colker

And believe me, I've measure it 100 times hoping I miss measured it the first 99 time ;)

that's a large. 18.5 c-c. ibis sizing has been xsmall small medium large xlarge. the long headtube says it's not a mojo.
they do handle really really well and can take a 150mm stem easily.

IF52

Hey Flavio any idea of the year? The serial number is 1743 if that helps. Is it an SS?

As an 18.5 it's got like 72 x 71 seat and head tube angles, so the top tube will seem a little longer than something with a steeper seat tube. The 20" would still fit better but I may build this thing in the mean time with the parts off the Stumpy.

colker

Hey Flavio any idea of the year? The serial number is 1743 if that helps. Is it an SS?

As an 18.5 it's got like 72 x 71 seat and head tube angles, so the top tube will seem a little longer than something with a steeper seat tube. The 20" would still fit better but I may build this thing in the mean time with the parts off the Stumpy.

i am not that knowledged... and i am curious as well. cause the logo is modern.
i would call it an SS. i saw a SS on mtbr VRC and looked like yours... the same proportions.
we should post it on mtbr, VRC. there are some guys w/ access to scot nicol and more experience w/ ibis like mike ss.

fat66

trade for Fat or ??

I have a number of bikes I'm getting ready to sell off, older Fat's included.......maybe we can work out a trade for this IBIS? I'm 5' 9ish and have longish arms,,,,,,most of my "newer" bikes have 22/23" TT's and fit well,,,,,,maybe I could build up this bike as another SS? I'm in AZ, let's talk
I have other bikes and bike stuff for barter, but nothing big enuff for you,,,,,maybe your wife can find something?
thanks
mark g;)

IF52

Cool, let me know what you have in mind. I'll send some more detailed pictures if you like.

fat66

Flavio, details posted in this thread

I posted some details on the bikes 2 posts previous on this thread,,,,,,,have a look, my computer is still not cooperating:)

fat66

Ibis still available?

Howdy,do you still have the IBIS frame? it might be too big for me (5'9ish, 31 inseam) but maybe y old roommate, who's an Ibis fan? He's about 5'11" and 32" inseam? I still might be up for trading bike parts/frames as mentioned before, or $
thanks
fat66:rolleyes:

IF52

Yeah, I still have it. I'd be most interested in trading for something my size as my wife has since shown little interest in getting another frame. She would probably actually like to see me get rid of this frame outright. Whatcha got of interest?

fat66

nada in big

I don't have anything to fit a 6'5 guy, and my barter stuff is kind of hard to get to, but I might be able to dig around this weekend...........what would you take $ for the frame outright? Where are you in Ohio, I lived there until 86
mg:p

IF52

Akron area. Actually from south Florida by way of Savannah and Atlanta.

I paid way more for the frame probably than I should have. PM me and we can discuss options. I built the thing up just for giggles and it looks pretty good, though a 80mm fork is too long for it. Scot Nicol replied back that it is an SS based on the serial number and is going to get back to me about the age.

settemarche

I just bought an Ibis SS or XS frame from ebay. The dimensions listed were kind of all over the place so I took a chance it was either a 17" (wife's size) or a 20" (closer to my size) and it was neither. It actually is a 18.5" c-c with a 22.75 top tube. Anybody interested in trading it for something more my size? That is to say something similar quality and >23" top tube.

I'll post a couple pictures in a few.

IF,

have a look at this link. it appears to be the identical frame. there is also a link below that will give the build specs. you mentioned that the 80mm fork seemed wrong - yep, i think your bike is early early 90's and would have been rigid.

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1991_Ibis_SS.htm

enjoy it,

Sette