• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Yo #638Y3M

Buzz

It's time.
I'm the original owner. It was a trade-up from a Wicked to enable an occasional race. It's been ridden and has the requisite nicks and dings. One small ghost riding dent from the Moggollon rim on the left seat stay 3-5mm long and shallow.. Chain suck paint removal on driveside C.S. and a little ding/paint removal from under the chainstay protector. These are cosmetic not structural.Toothpick equipped. Cosmic Fade paint. I took the s.p. out and the original weld inside on top of the bottom bracket looks like it was welded yesterday.
Marzocchi MX pro fork (nearly new) older C. King H.S conveted to threadless (original threaded top nut included.) White Ind. hubs; Frnt. 28s w/Ritchey Vantage rim.
Rear, 32s with Maverick rim (original build Vantage 32 included) WTB Velociraptor F. Ritchey ZMax both 2.1. Attack grip shift on Syncros riser bars o Ritchey 130mm stem, Avid levers/ 2.0 vbrakes. Syncros 378mm seatpost. RaceFace Force 175mm cranks with Real rings, 44-34-24. Original XT fnt and new XT rear derailleurs. $800. OBO.
I have some other related items for the period to include original bars, r. derailleur ect.

Best, Buzz

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    451.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Modena NYC

I assume this is a Medium? I'm almost 6' 1" --- but i think my original yo was a Medium....(which i don't have anymore!)....hmmmm

Buzz

638y3m

If I understand the nomemclature this was the 638 Yo of 1993 and it is a medium. I use to be a little over 6' and got this size because I thought I'd do some racing. It fit fine for that endevour but I really didn't race that much and other bikes came into the picture. It still is a favorite but after having ridden for sixty years my neck can not take the hyperextension anymore. I was impressed by how quick it was in singletrack but so stable at high speeds. I left the paint off on the chainstay for full disclosure. It really doesn't have much metal loss there and obviously the TrueTemper tubing can take credit for that. I have always wrapped inner tubes aroung the drive side chainstay and was surprised when I removed it and found a little paint loss there as well. I maintained the bike well, waxed it, went through it every winter and if I did ride it in weather, took care of it immediately. I retouched the paint to protect the metal in the chain suck area. I had the frame alignment checked recently and it is tight.

Buzz

What is the appropriate price?

I've been a little surprised at the lack of interest in my Yo. Could anyone offer some insight as to what it's worth? I need to move this bike and will consider reasonalbe offers. Thanks

tvcreative

Greetings

While your bike is nice, it has a few things going on that would scare me off...at that price.

It' has a lack of correct parts on it...and the ones that are left -- are worn. It has a shock fork, and to me that takes away from the value. The amount of nicks and gouges are another put off at that price.

Any collector would have to repaint and replace everything to get it back into shape.

As a rider, it looks like it would work fine...just not at that price. And it may in fact look much better in person.

What is it worth? Tough to say, but I would look at what's going on - on Ebay and other areas (retrobike comes to mind). There are nicer bikes for less or the same, lets just say that.

sorry, just one man's opinion.

Jim

Buzz

Thanks for the reply Jim. I suspected that was the issue to some degree. When I built this bike I traded back a Wicked frame (no fork) and kept the period XT stuff and the original Mavic M6's. Over the years it just got upgraded which means de-graded for the collector. I don't know if it would make any difference but I still have the ALL original M6's which were not used much and spin free and true. The damage in the photos IS mostly cosmetic and the seatpost was seized for a number of years which in accounts IMO for the pristine condition of the interior of the seatpost. I'm not trying to get rich off this bike. It just needs a new, good home. Perhaps I'll get some more input. Thanks for yours, Buzz

Doug Carter

Staff member
FWIW, one of the reasons we don't delete any posts here, is so that you can go back and see the Classifieds of the past and get a decent gauge of what the value range might be of something you want to sell. Age, color, condition all have an effect on price. And many times, components of the bike have very little value to the new buyer, unless they are 100% period-correct spot-on perfect, the value of a bike is really down to the frame/fork + color + year + size + condition.

Then again, it is easier to start high and work your way back than it is to start low and never know. ;)

Buzz

yo#638y3m

Thanks Doug. Just figured that I wouldn't clutter up the site. Any input on what the Mavic M-6 wheelset in very good condition price range would be? I'd post photos but they're snowbound in Idaho at the moment. I'll get to them in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the site. It's been educational.