elessar007

Frame type:Wicked Lite
Frame number:319w39
Year of manufacture:1993
Frame size:19.5
Color :
Aquamarine Fade

Sorry no photos at this moment.

Since I'm giving away all the intimate details like how old my frame is and what size I think its only fair that I round out the picture with a full disclosure. (And also because I love the final creation and I just want to tell people about it. Kind of like how parents of kids under 8 always want to talk about their kids)
I bought the Wicked Lite in 1996 from a shop I worked at as a mechanic in central NJ. It was frame only, no fork. I did the build myself using components I chose because I thought they would complement the fantastic frame. Before I started, Weigley's frame saver was used to prevent the inside of the frame from rusting. Its gone thru some transformations but its current incarnation is a single speed. The wheels I handbuilt using Paul's WORD hub for the rear and a green Ringle hub for the front. Both are laced 3-cross to Mavic 217 32-hole rims. I used 14g butted DT Swiss spokes with gold Spline Drive nipples on the rear & Ti-Dye titanium spokes with blue nipples on the front as a way to dampen vibration from the rigid fork . The stem, seatpost and Ti spindle bottom bracket are Syncros with a threadless Chris King headset in blue. Handlebar is an Answer Alumilite 2 riser bar in black to match the Syncros stem. The crankarms are a pair of Azonics that I wetsanded to remove the red anodization from all but the recesses on the back of the arms and then handpolished to an almost chrome-like shine. The spider is still red just for a bit of color. The brakes are Magura hydraulic calipers but I replaced the levers & fluid cylinders with a pair of green Altek levers and a green Oury grips to go with the aquamarine paint job. For the saddle, I have an Speed Defies Gravity Comp Ti w/ blue kevlar cover. Going with the whole blue and green theme, I also put a Ringle water cage and Paul's Blue Balls seatbinder, both in blue. The tricky part is the fork. I used to use a Rock Shox Judy XC but changed it out to a rather boring rigid unicrown when I turned it into a singlespeed. Even though its a single speed, I still have a front and rear deraileur. I turned the set screw on the front so it acts like a guide for the chain. On the rear I have cable housing going from the deraileur to the last housing stop. I then took a shift cable and put the anchor end on the otherside of the cable stop and manually moved the cage so it lines up with the freewheel before tightening the set- screw. Its not the most elegant chain tensioner but it works better than the Kore chain reactor I originally planned to use. Plus its a good use of my Precison Billet deraileur. The deraieur looks beautiful but really doesn't shift as well as a good old Shimano XT. the fork is nothing special, just a run of the mill cro-mo fork from Tange in a nice shade of blue. think I'm going to see if I can get a fork worthy of the frame when I get some money together. If you have read this far down into my blathering well then I guess I owe you a thanks for listening to me gush on about my Wicked Lite build-up.

Glad to find this forum!

Last edited:

HomerSimpson

Resurecting '89 Wicked

Frame Type: Wicked
Frame S/N: 10069W
Year of mfg: '88 or '89
Frame Size: 19"
Color: Candy Wild Cherry w/Yellow decals

I bought the bare frame from a local shop in early '89.
Built it with:
Deore XT brakes/hubs/derailleur
Cook Bros CBR crank
Mavic rims
Tange G-master headset
FlexStem & Eaton bars

New here, first post. Seems like a great site.

Rode the snot out of my Wicked '89 to '92. (Moab in the good ole days) Got re-married in '90, and commuted on it until '97. Changed jobs and the bike has been hanging in my shed since '97. The tires literally fell apart when I got it down and pushed it out of the shed.

I'm going through everything and hope to get it (and me!) back on the road this summer. Need to replace the rear rim (flat spot), stem, & bars; anyone have something period correct they'd like to part with?

I'll post some pics later this week.

WVEddy

1994 Yo Eddy

Frame type: Yo Eddy
Frame number: 220Y4L
Year of manufacture: 1994
Frame size: L
Color: Team Violet
Location (city, state, country): Winston Salem, NC
Owner name: Martin

Not orginal owner, but owned since 1995

snaps

87 wicked

Frame type: Wicked
Frame Number:87778
Year of Manufacture:1987
Frame Size:Sm
Color:Blue[original]
Photos at Later Date

Tange switchblade forks, chain-stay u-brakes and 7-speed thumbies, set up as a beach cruiser now, but thats gonna change quick!

dftuttle

Wicked

Frame type: Wicked
Frame number: 175W19
Year of manufacture: 1991?
Frame size: M (17")
Color: Black
Owner name: Dan Tuttle

Picked this up yesterday from the orignal onwer.
Black re-paint. No decals. 7s XT with an STX rear.
Needs some TLC.

monorchus

1991 Yo Eddy Team

Frame Type: Yo Eddy Team
Frame S/N: 250Y07
Year of Mfg: 1991 (at least, that's what the receipt says)
Frame size: Medium
Frame color: Originally a hideously bright shade of orange. Now faded to a pale yellow.
Owner: Mitch Jacob (Original Owner)

Not sure if it's really a 1991, since I don't see Ugly Orange in the catalog of 1991 colors. If I recall, the color choice I had was really ugly Green, or really ugly Orange. I went with Orange because it came with Suntour components.

Nearly everything on this bike has been replaced at least once. The seat post and one crank are original. Still ride this bike several times a week, in the canyons and on mellow dirt.

jawakaman

4th Yo!

Frame Type: Yo Eddy
Frame S/N: 277Y07
Year of Mfg: 1991
Frame color: Original colour unknown. Dark candy green from former owner.
Owner: Bengt Larsen Renolen

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 36

mkedave

Bro Eddy in MKE

Frame Type: Bro Eddy
Frame S/N: BE ML 30
Year of Mfg: 1999-ish?
Frame size: 17-18in frame
Frame color: Sapphire purple
Owner: Dave Racine

It's gettin' gears put back on it.

Attachments

• broeddy.jpg
    broeddy.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 13

Jassie06

All original 1988 located in CT, USA.
The pictures give the info.
Team Comp. Custom sunset fade paint.

333ia06.jpg

I reloaded the picture but will need to get the build tag out again.

ztb1qa.jpg

2ebftdw.jpg

Last edited:

fall-a-lot

Frame Type: Standard Fat Chance
Frame Number: 87401
Year of Manufacture: 1987
Frame Size: M
Color: Blue/Yellow
Owner Name: Ken

I-ROBOT

All original 1988 located in CT, USA.
The pictures give the info.

2qidc36.jpg

33naqoj.jpg

Hi Jassie
Thought I would give you some names that are on the hang tag

From the top: the red scribble is Wendyll Behrend - married to Chris Chance and basically co-owner of Fat City. I think she may still own the rights to the company but don't know for sure.
KUBY - Alison Kuby - she worked in the finishing department. She left around 1990 to attend an art school in Chicago. I met her there during the 1992 AWS show that my nametag is for. She was a fantastic metal artist and I had a crush on her (even though I was married at the time and she never knew it) Last I heard she was living near Philadelphia and was married and had a couple of kids
MP in the star - Mike Pappaconstantine - Team Fat Chance rider and the creator of YO Eddy. He also worked in finishing as a brazer and frame alignment tech. Excellent rider, unbelievable cartoonist - AKA the "biggest name in mountain biking" Last I knew Mike was working as a bike mechanic at Belmont Wheel Works which is one of the biggest independent retailers in New England.
Jeff F... - Jeff Fedderson - He worked in sales and left shortly after this hang tag came out and founded SRP and he marketed titanium bolts and other cool doo-dads. Not sure if SRP is still in business
Hoss - Hoss Rogers was a painter who worked at Fat City for a couple of years. He shot the Sunburst Fade on your frame which is one of my favorite paint schemes. Hoss left to go to Taos, NM where he started his own studio and I believe he is still at it there
BOB (with the X) - Bob Fulk - originally from Virginia, another Team Fat rider who worked in finishing and alignment. Bob designed the "Wicked" logo when the Wicked was introduced in '87 and was married to Heidi (?) who was one of the founders of NEMBA. He left Fat City shortly after they broke up. Whereabouts unknown to me.
Yea! - not sure who may have written that.
Scott P Bengtson (stamp) - Yours truly - Chief Welder at Fat City. I started part time in November 1986 after Gary Helfrich moved across the courtyard and founded Merlin Metalworks. I went full time in June 1987 and stayed until Somerville closed in October 1994. I am a degreed welding engineer, certified inspector, and got to be OK with the TIG torch. Later nicknamed "I-ROBOT" after this guy who built recumbents looked at some stuff I welded for him and said "Looks a robot did that!" I welded your frame and most likely welded the box-crown fork too.

I'm not sure who the scribble is to the lower right of "BOB". I cannot tell if it is one name or two.

The last signature is Debbie Nadolney who worked in shipping. She is the one who carefully wrapped and packed each frameset that sent to dealers all over. Deb was a really nice person and we were friends. She worked at Fat City just about to the bitter end too.

Unfortunately, I do not see Chris Chance's signature on this tag which is kind of surprising since your bike is a Team Comp and was our top-of-the-line bike for 1988. I'm not sure why he did not sign this one. We used to sit around and sign bunches of them and they would be in a box in the shipping department and Deb would just grab one and fill out the model, size , and SN. Guess Chris missed the batch that yours was taken from.

Take good care of that bike. A certain collector's item for sure, especially a 16.5" one. I bet we didn't make more than five 16.5" Team Comps that year.

regards
Scott Bengtson

I-ROBOT

Sure looks like him in the picture holding the brazing torch. I knew he liked making jewelery too so it probably is him. Think I will send him a note.
Scott

I-ROBOT

Got a note from Hoss Rogers last night and that is indeed the guy who used to paint at Fat City. If anyone is looking for custom jewelery, look him up.
Scott

fat-tony

Staff member
Frame type: Fat Chance
Frame number: 85214
Year of manufacture: 1985
Frame size: ST 17.5" C/C
Color: Orange
Owner name: Rob

I am the original owner. This has been an urban bike. Original except for replaced rear der./cogset, tires. Middle chainring was also changed at time of purchase. For some reason I removed all the stickers except for the headtube sticker.

It's ready for a restore......

Keep it original with all the patina! Bikes just lose their personality when you respray them.

Last edited:

scant

can anyone date an all steel (not AMP) shockabilly please? canti rear brake hanger.
frame number: SBM 023

chainline

can anyone date an all steel (not AMP) shockabilly please? canti rear brake hanger.
frame number: SBM 023

this would be a NY ser # shock billiy sb / m for med and it looks to be the 23thrd frame made mine is # 045 so it most likely has a 1 1/8 head tube? i have been trying to year date mine I put it at like a 96 -98?

scant

this would be a NY ser # shock billiy sb / m for med and it looks to be the 23thrd frame made mine is # 045 so it most likely has a 1 1/8 head tube? i have been trying to year date mine I put it at like a 96 -98?

yes, 1 1/8 headtube is correct. given the canti brake hanger I'd assume earlier date rather than later?

Dhphat

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo Eddy
Frame number:300Y3M
Year of manufacture:1993
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Original Metallic Green, had the BB / lower section of seat tube fixed by Igleheart, and it is now Metalic Black.
Location (city, state, country):Natick Ma
Owner name: Andy

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.):Monster Fat
Frame number:086M1M
Year of manufacture: 1991
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):It came resprayed yellow w/ Yo Eddy stickers on it. It will be violet soon.
Location (city, state, country): Natick Ma

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Slim Chance
Frame number: 032S18
Year of manufacture:1991
Frame size: 58cm
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Original Cosmic Dust Fade

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Wicked
Frame number:12388W
Year of manufacture:1988
Frame size:18"?
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Black and still is but will be painted soon