Fat Spindles?

Plum

Hey guys, I'm a lurker who has recently re-obtained my FC from the previous owner.

I'm looking to rebuild it and I'm up against the BB problems. I know that Rody has the bearings and collars, but I'm running into issues with the length of the BB spindle.

I have a 125 mm spindle currently, and it doesn't fit any very common cranks. Any sources for different, maybe more modern spindle lengths?

I'm aware of the phil bearing/spindle option, but I'm a little unclear also. Do the phil spindles still require locking collars? If I go to a narrower spindle, will I have room for a collar?

I'm reaching the point of frustration with the whole pressed in BB situ, would like to cut it off and put in something standard, but here we are.

Thanks guys.

Plum

MikeyNYC

Hey guys, I'm a lurker who has recently re-obtained my FC from the previous owner.

I'm looking to rebuild it and I'm up against the BB problems. I know that Rody has the bearings and collars, but I'm running into issues with the length of the BB spindle.

I have a 125 mm spindle currently, and it doesn't fit any very common cranks. Any sources for different, maybe more modern spindle lengths?

I'm aware of the phil bearing/spindle option, but I'm a little unclear also. Do the phil spindles still require locking collars? If I go to a narrower spindle, will I have room for a collar?

I'm reaching the point of frustration with the whole pressed in BB situ, would like to cut it off and put in something standard, but here we are.

Thanks guys.

Plum

If you can't find one on eBay try this: http://www.actiontec.us/attack.htm

slim

was going to try one of these before i managed to find a proper one, any thoughts ??

Attachments

• bbys-threadless.jpg
    bbys-threadless.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 12

slim

the threads are under the splined part , sort of inside where they normally are , so it tightens against the shell

Plum

Slim,

If the diameter is right on the outside of the cartridge, and the width is correct, I think you're onto something. I measured mine up tonight, it's 35 mm in diameter and the shell is 62 mm wide. Not exactly standard by any means.

I have a couple of crank suggestions to work with my existing spindle, so I'm not quite dead yet, just looking for something pretty specific (thanks Rody).

Another path I'm looking into is if a bearing can be sourced that will press into the shell, then accept a modern two-piece crank like an XT with integrated spindle. They have a 24 mm spindle on them, and the shell is 35 mm. I think a regular, external cup bearing is 37 mm OD, so it's not that far off. If I can find something reasonably priced, I'll probably order a set to mess around with over the winter. I'll have to shim the spindle to keep it from moving side to side and pre-load the bearings, but it might work...

Plum

nigeh

Slim,

If the diameter is right on the outside of the cartridge, and the width is correct, I think you're onto something. I measured mine up tonight, it's 35 mm in diameter and the shell is 62 mm wide. Not exactly standard by any means.

I have a couple of crank suggestions to work with my existing spindle, so I'm not quite dead yet, just looking for something pretty specific (thanks Rody).

Another path I'm looking into is if a bearing can be sourced that will press into the shell, then accept a modern two-piece crank like an XT with integrated spindle. They have a 24 mm spindle on them, and the shell is 35 mm. I think a regular, external cup bearing is 37 mm OD, so it's not that far off. If I can find something reasonably priced, I'll probably order a set to mess around with over the winter. I'll have to shim the spindle to keep it from moving side to side and pre-load the bearings, but it might work...

Plum

Hi Plum,

What Crank options have you found for the long axle spindle, as I'm up against the same issue on my next build a '90 Wicked.

I did end up using the PW option for you '91 YO and it seems to work very well - the fit is so tight that you don't seem to need collars - finger crossed....

Cheers Nige

Plum

Hi Plum,

What Crank options have you found for the long axle spindle, as I'm up against the same issue on my next build a '90 Wicked.

I did end up using the PW option for you '91 YO and it seems to work very well - the fit is so tight that you don't seem to need collars - finger crossed....

Cheers Nige

Rody helped me out, so I can't claim full knowledge.

I have a 125mm spindle on my Wicked, and I ended up with a pair of Shimano FCM730's, they're on the way currently. He also recommended the LX FCM550's (LX) and some Cook Dogbone cranks as typically compatible with this spindle.

I *think* you can probably look for a set of suntour XC Comps or XC Pros with the 110/74 BCD. I had a pair of those back in the day, and as I recall they took a pretty long spindle too (around 122). I have also used on this frame with no recollection of chainline issues:

A set of syncros revolutions (claimed to require a 118mm spindle typically)
A set of specialized Flag cranks (broke)
A set of Ritchey Logic cranks (broke)
A set of Grafton joy stix.

Again, I don't know the specifics of all these arms, and I don't remember having any outstanding driveline issues. It would be nice if there was a table somewhere (I'm sure somebody has one, Bueller, Bueller) that gave a chainline dimension with the recommended BB spindle length. I believe that if you find a crank that is typical of the vintage (89-90 ish) you probably have a reasonable candidate to work with a longer spindle.

BTW, Rody set me up with a pair of bearings and collars, and the collars are much better than the old two-bolt set screw type. I installed them on monday and they're sweet. Thanks again, Rody.

Plum

Bssc

I have XC comps/pros on my wicked with a 114 spindel they just fit by a hair the Q factor is perfect for me.

nevada72

I *think* you can probably look for a set of suntour XC Comps or XC Pros with the 110/74 BCD. I had a pair of those back in the day, and as I recall they took a pretty long spindle too (around 122). I have also used on this frame with no recollection of chainline issues:

My first post, and it offers info! My 92 Yo Eddy was built up originally with, and still has, a SunTour XC Pro cold forged crank. It has been perfect all along. I don't know how long the spindle is. I do know that it was replaced pretty much immediately. I broke the hollow spindle (while riding very fast - OOOUCH!) that came with the bike and Fat City kindly sent me a solid replacement.

The frame is on it's way, as I type, to Rody for a full resto and respray :)