Zamfir

Hello all in the Fat Cog world. Just joined this forum today and hope to visit and contribute often.

Little about me. Started mountain biking in 1989 on a Spech Rockhopper, moved on to a Yeti FRO in 91, then a Marin Team Issue (TET frame) in 92, which i still have of course. Rode the Marin until last year when I decided to give new technology a try. Disk brakes and full sus are nice but the old stuff is where my heart is.

I have always admired Fat Chance bikes back in the day but never saw one in person, in the Northwest they are few and far between. Recently a riding friend mentioned he was interested in selling his Wicked, it was just taking up too much space. I snapped it up immediately.

The bike is nice but needs attention as I suspect most do that have been ridden and "updated" over time. In the next few days I will be posting pics of the bike and also ask questions as I start working on it.

BTW, it is a 1989 Wicked. Black with green grafics. No rust, big frame but i hope to make it work for me.

Thanks all.

Zamfir

thanks!

Spent some time on the bike yesterday. Put a generic rigid fork, shorter stem, grips, looks like it will fit me after all, i'm elated!

Now the search starts for a nice fork.......

Oh yea, and to post some pictures of the Wicked and the TET Marin as well which I believe were both made in 89.

Zamfir

quick update

Just wanted to post a quick update on the status of my 89 Wicked, and a current picture. Please be kind, this is a work in progress.

Although the bike rolls, stops and handles great as it sits it is in dire need of some special attention as you can see in the pic.

After talking with Chris Igleheart I decided to have him build a segmented fork. New cants are on order (Avid Ultimates). Seatpost from Origin 8. Dia-Comp ss5 levers that I have had since new. Salsa stem, King headset.

I'm also considering a repaint, not sure at this point.

In any case I will start a thread in the builder's corner once parts start arriving.

Opinions and guidance are welcomed.

Attachments

• wchance.jpg
    wchance.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 42

colker

Just wanted to post a quick update on the status of my 89 Wicked, and a current picture. Please be kind, this is a work in progress.

Although the bike rolls, stops and handles great as it sits it is in dire need of some special attention as you can see in the pic.

After talking with Chris Igleheart I decided to have him build a segmented fork. New cants are on order (Avid Ultimates). Seatpost from Origin 8. Dia-Comp ss5 levers that I have had since new. Salsa stem, King headset.

I'm also considering a repaint, not sure at this point.

In any case I will start a thread in the builder's corner once parts start arriving.

Opinions and guidance are welcomed.
I like it a lot.. now, how long does it take for chris to build one of his forks? How much is he charging?

Zamfir

good questions..

for which I have no definite answers.

Chris is a great guy though and i'm super excited to work with him on this project. He mentioned how he was welding at the FC shop at the time and he might have actually welded my frame!

I'm hoping to receive the fork in about a month and will post all the info when i start building the bike.

You might have noticed that my decals are shot so I will be looking to source a new set.

As for a repaint i'm leaning tword grello right now, though i'm open to suggestions.....

amajo

decals

hi...you can find new decals at sssink.com
write at gary prange...sssink@sssink.com he will send you informations.
a wicked decal set costs 35 dollars...they are made to be covered with clear coat.

sssink...made the original decals for fat chance in the early dates.

please would you post a picture of your green decals...i am interested to bux decals from gary...in neon green...so i can see the colour "live".

thanks andreas

for which I have no definite answers.

Chris is a great guy though and i'm super excited to work with him on this project. He mentioned how he was welding at the FC shop at the time and he might have actually welded my frame!

I'm hoping to receive the fork in about a month and will post all the info when i start building the bike.

You might have noticed that my decals are shot so I will be looking to source a new set.

As for a repaint i'm leaning tword grello right now, though i'm open to suggestions.....

Zamfir

Thank you for the information

Sounds like my new forks are almost ready to ship.

Once all the parts are here I will start a build thread and post tons of pictures.

Thank you!

Zamfir

decal nos seat

As you can see my decals are in terrible condition and most likely sun faded. Hope the picture is useful.

On another subject, has anyone ever seen this model of Selle Italia seat before? It has zero padding and constructed with a thick molded leather cover (3.5mm) formed over what looks to be a Flite plastic base which is secured with brass rivets. The rails look brass plated.

In any case it is definitely NOS and hard as a could be. Not sure I have what it takes to break it in.

Once again sorry for the poor quality of my images.

Attachments

• saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 15
  • decal.jpg
    decal.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Saddle2.jpg
    Saddle2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 13

Spikes

Nice Wicked! Careful on removing the decals though! Please warm the decals with a hairdryer and with something non-abrasive peel them off carefully. A fingernail works perfect, as does a sticky roller (3M, IKEA) that is used for getting pet hairs of clothing and furniture.

Before putting the new ones on, make sure to degrease the frame with rubbing alcohol.

That saddle is very neat! I'd love to buy it from you if you don't like it. But in general, you apply Brooks grease from the under side to the saddle a few times so the leather can get more soft. Than during use it will form to your bum.

Good luck and welcome here!

Zamfir

Fork has arrived.......

....and it is truly amazing. Chris Igleheart does stellar work and is a true gentleman.

Build thread will begin shortly.

Attachments

• Igle.jpg
    Igle.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13

Zamfir

quick update...

....after countless hours (and quite a few shekels) i've managed to locate all the parts that I will be using on this build.

Thanks to Groovy Cycles for the replacement bearings and repro decal set. Special thanks to Steve Forseness for the paint work and beautiful Campy Record OR wheelset. First Flite Cycles for selling classic parts at a good price, and Chris Igleheart for making such a beautiful fork.

Build thread will begin once parts return from the painter. Frame, fork, and stem will be bright blue (highlighter blue), black parts used throughout.

Cheers!

Zamfir

Black and blue and cool all over.......

From black to a beautiful bright blue.

Frame, Iglefork, and Salsa stem all back from painter and look stunning.

Build thread to start next week. I'm excited!

Attachments

• blue W.jpg
    blue W.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6