Replacement Brake Posts

brad

I have a 91 M Yo Eddy w/ the original fork. Around 93-94 I put Avid Tri-Aligns on the bike. If anyone is familiar with those brakes they required a sleeve over the original brake posts. The sleeve was held in place w/ loc-tite. The springs on the Tri-Aligns have grown weak and I would like to put modern V-brakes on the bike. The problem is that the sleeves have seized to the posts and I can't get them off.

I seem to recall that these brake posts didn't use standard threading? If that is the case does anyone know of a source for replacements or the thread spec?

Thanks!

MikeyNYC

I have a 91 M Yo Eddy w/ the original fork. Around 93-94 I put Avid Tri-Aligns on the bike. If anyone is familiar with those brakes they required a sleeve over the original brake posts. The sleeve was held in place w/ loc-tite. The springs on the Tri-Aligns have grown weak and I would like to put modern V-brakes on the bike. The problem is that the sleeves have seized to the posts and I can't get them off.

I seem to recall that these brake posts didn't use standard threading? If that is the case does anyone know of a source for replacements or the thread spec?

Thanks!

Have you tried heating the sleeves slightly to loosen them up? I had a similar situation where WTB Roller-Cam brakes have a sleeve that goes over the brake posts and they seemed totally stuck but a buddy is an expert bike mechanic and he suggested heating the sleeves on the posts and they slowly and carefully came off, I don't know if this will work with lock-tite but it's worth a shot...I used a hair dryer and wore gloves, I didn't use any type of torch...

smittylube

Heat does work to loosen locktight. Small butane torch would work fine w/o getting it too hot and discolor. Take your time and it will come off w/o messing anything up

spinner

5/16 X 18 is the thread size and pitch on both my 91 yo and 91 Wicked. Could not find any at either of my lbs then a friend had a set in his spare parts bin.

brad

All,

Thanks for the recommendation on heating. I now recall that was what the Avid recommended. I'll give that a shot. If not I'll search the internet for parts based on the thread pitch provided.