Progress on my 93 Yo

afterbang

Hey guys.

Just wanted to share the progress I've made so far with my Yo. The only thing missing at this point is a fork. Unless I get an opportunity to purchase an original FC fork, I'll be going to Chris Igleheart in Portland to have a fork made. If anyone has a 1" threaded Rock Shox Mag 21 they want to sell, I'd be happy rolling that for a while too.

Straight XT build, Salsa roller stem, I have a black Hyperlite bar for it, cheap seatpost... the most money I spent on any one given part was the tires, haha. Nothing fancy since I have been limited on money to put into this, but I really like it and can't wait to finish up.

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

Thanks to fat-tony and everyone else on here who has hooked me up on parts, I really appreciate it!

afterbang

I'm hoping it turns out being an awesome ride. I haven't had my leg over a Yo since I was a little kid so I really am looking forward to actually being able to take it out.

I'm not sure if I'm going with rapidfire or using the thumb shifters yet. My dad hooked me up with a bunch of nice old Shimano parts and then a really nice guy I contacted in Germany offered me a killer deal on a bunch of stuff I was after. The rapidfire shifters were part of the deal and I liked the appeal of a more modern shifter, but I've read really crummy reviews about em.

Any experience with them?

tvcreative

I kinda like the rapidfires...have a pair on a wicked with no issues

I also like a good thumbie (probably more traditional)

That looks like a nice bike so far

I am restoring a 96 violet beauty that I bought from a member here on the site....

hopefully I will get pix up before the end of the weekend.

Always difficult to go period correct. Finding parts that work, look good, and feel right with the bike is a task.

I have been swapping parts all night for that just right feel.

Zamfir

Too cool for school.

When I had my Wicked repainted I was torn between Grello, Lavender, or the Highlighter Blue. Went with blue but I still long for the Lavender......maybe my next build...

Chris makes wonderful forks and he is a great guy. You will be a happy rider with some Igleforks.

afterbang

thanks guys. just scored that yo fork so I'll share once I get it all together. I'll eventually get the fork painted a bright, fun, contrasting color, but right now I just wanna get some rides in. so stoked!

oh, and I didn't even think about that poster, that's just the only wall not lined with bikes and snowboards in my work room. I enjoy that poster as well, but my wife isn't too keen on it. haha.

afterbang

A little more progress

Received a Yo fork and slapped it on. I actually kind of like the dark purple. Obviously, I need to cut the steerer tube a bit before installing the brake and finishing it up. I don't own a threaded fork cutting guide, so I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop. I pushed her around the block and I think the cockpit might be a bit too long. I always have to get a frame on the smaller size to accommodate my reach, but I might need to find a different stem. Anyone else ever find themselves compromising between standover height and top tube length?

770EE1A2-0771-4B50-8869-EF609045AEAE-237-0000001AE711E314.jpg

54951210-72FF-437C-A1FD-60BF819D9C03-237-0000001AF777FD39.jpg

8BB4380E-5238-4418-AE77-6BCA908B42A6-237-0000001B0A862E2E.jpg

3874789C-026E-4BD9-AFDD-B12C40E1AC6F-237-0000001B189E5694.jpg

E09B500C-48B7-4429-92D0-5C32BCC1E202-237-0000001B23BD7B3F.jpg

tvcreative

Great job so far

My 1990 YO has a long top tube, and the proper stand over. Finding a short period correct stem is a little difficult. I waited a couple of years to find a shorter (100) salsa with rise.

I have seen shorter Ritchey stems around. I have seen a few Control Tech (100 with 17 degree rise).

If you find a selle italia flite saddle, they are made with a rail config that allows you to slide forward without looking weird

hope it helps

chainline

I would also like to add that there is nothing wrong with having a little stack height !you may like it a little higher down the road. Just my 2 cents

afterbang

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I tried adjusting the saddle and it looked super goofy. That's like one of my biggest, petty, bike pet peeves so I may try a flite saddle. I just wanted to use something not as common... I guess when I think about it, I see turbo saddles on these bikes just as much anyways.

Yeah, maybe i should leave the steerer tube as it is. It may make the reach a bit longer too if I lower the bar height.

afterbang

I would definitely like to match the colors of the frame and fork, I just don't know of a way to match the paint up without redoing the entire frameset. fat-tony was the previous owner of the frame and I know he spent some good money on that paint job. In my mind, it would be a waste to just repaint the whole thing.

I think I may just live with the fact that we all can't have bikes as good looking as yours, nader :)

afterbang

Just wanted to add a picture that shows the fork's actual color. I'm pretty picky about things and I think the purples work with each other. Picked up some Ringle skewers too. When I get around to cutting the steerer tube I'll throw the front brake and run cables/chain.

D3D4116D-4CF4-49CA-9CA8-C2FF2EE91C0C-4187-000002D07E45DDA4.jpg

tvcreative

i would not cut the fork, just put a 10MM stacked brake hanger and a couple of 5mm spacers in there....

should you want to part out the bike, and sell the fork separately, you could get more for it in a longer state...

you could explore stem options without hangers built in

just a thought,

I really like this build so far and the fork color is perfect

I attached a pic of mine

Attachments

• IMG_4076a.jpg
    IMG_4076a.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 24

afterbang

There's a salsa pro-moto roller stem on there right now. The pictures above show what the setup is.

Many people have told me not to cut the steerer and I'm torn about whether to do it or not. My bars feel too high, but maybe I can just slam the quill as low as it will go and call it good. That or I wish I could find a different stem, but with how much I want to use the salsa one, form may win over function.