Is this a fake FC fork?

I-ROBOT

I would be able to tell more easily if I could see the brake mounts up close. We did occasionally drill the steerer tube for a fender mount. That would not automatically disqualify it as a Fat fork but we did not put any permanent type of Fat City identifier into the metal on any fork so its kind of a crap shoot on unicrowns. One thing I know for sure is that we never put vent holes in the fork blades. If we ever did for some reason, the holes would be filled with silver braze material and sanded smooth, so that is one way to tell. The fork in the ad does not appear to have holes in the blades.
Of course, let the buyer beware!!
Good Luck
Scott

I-ROBOT

OK so I looked again at the photos in the ad and it looks like there maybe a small hole on the inside of the right side blade just above the dropout. Hard to tell if it's a small dent or a hole.:confused: Also the brake mount on the left blade looks like it may be splayed out some too. We always carefully aligned our brake mounts so they were parallel to each other and square to the wheel for optimum brake performance.

I ran downstairs and checked the uni on my own 18" Wicked and I have a fender mount on the steerer tube but it is on the backside of the fork and not the front like the one in the ad.

Decide for yourselves!!;)
Scott

Retro Dude

Just got this reply from seller:

"This came off a small early wicked/1st gen Monster. Not suspension corrected. Thanks."

High Gear

I would be able to tell more easily if I could see the brake mounts up close. We did occasionally drill the steerer tube for a fender mount. That would not automatically disqualify it as a Fat fork but we did not put any permanent type of Fat City identifier into the metal on any fork so its kind of a crap shoot on unicrowns. One thing I know for sure is that we never put vent holes in the fork blades. If we ever did for some reason, the holes would be filled with silver braze material and sanded smooth, so that is one way to tell. The fork in the ad does not appear to have holes in the blades.
Of course, let the buyer beware!!
Good Luck
Scott

Scott, good thing to know about the vent holes.

Thanks

tvcreative

I am pretty sure this is the same guy that sold a black monster on ebay recently for big bucks, I think I bought a 26.4 syncros post from him...i really don't think you have anything to worry about...

hairstream

It's me. It came off small early wicked/monster frame I got a few years ago. I took it down since there were questions being asked. I have a lot of bikes that I've built (Hairstream) been active and a contributor for several years on all the known and "unknown" forums for years. Not so much here, because I'm really a Yeti guy. I'm just getting rid of a couple boxes of stuff that has built up. I always try to put proper descriptions and photos of my stuff. I've had 1 negative in my 807 transactions, and that was from a guy in Canada for a Thermarest that took "too long" to get through customs, and I got blamed. And, most importantly I try to put a realistic starting price. Sorry if anyone is sore with me. And I hope that I am continued to be welcome around here. Thanks.

Luke

Retro Dude

Hairstream - That's a beautiful fork, it just didn't look like it came off a Fat, I'd jump on it if the steerer were 1/2 longer.

You have some awesome parts listed, keep them coming!

AB

It's me. It came off small early wicked/monster frame I got a few years ago. I took it down since there were questions being asked. I have a lot of bikes that I've built (Hairstream) been active and a contributor for several years on all the known and "unknown" forums for years. Not so much here, because I'm really a Yeti guy. I'm just getting rid of a couple boxes of stuff that has built up. I always try to put proper descriptions and photos of my stuff. I've had 1 negative in my 807 transactions, and that was from a guy in Canada for a Thermarest that took "too long" to get through customs, and I got blamed. And, most importantly I try to put a realistic starting price. Sorry if anyone is sore with me. And I hope that I am continued to be welcome around here. Thanks.

Luke

No worries - nice to see the vintage stuff. Not everyone is or needs to be an expert here.

rick

mounting holes on forks?

just checked a bunch of bikes in the garage and the results pretty much match what Scott said; most forks do not have the mounting holes, but a few do.
I just mounted fenders on my commuting bike (87 FC) and unfortunately this is one of the bikes without mounting holes so I had to improvise. Oh well...

AB

vent holes

I have a 86 Fat and the fork does have vent holes on the inside of the legs and i have no reason to believe the fork is not original.