Is Chris getting back in the bike biz - 2014?

nader

I believe in Chris and I'm sure he will again produce a very qualitative Bike comparable with Yo Eddy from early nineties.
But one thing he should know, a newly manufactured Yo Eddy will achieve the status of 93 Yo Eddy first in next 20 (or more) years!

zonq

I just spoke with Christopher Iglehart, and he sounded pretty optimistic about Chris C putting new frames out too. If Chance comes out with fatbike frames, I'd bet he could easily get Iglehart to build up some width-adjusted Big1" forks for them.

zonq

There was enough interest to crash the web hosts server in only 20 minutes of the update going up, so that's something.

Did anyone see what it was? XC frame? Fatbike frame? All I see is the old pic of the Orange frames on the FB page...

It'd be nice if whoever is doing Chris's web/pr stuff would make an appearance with some info on here, this being a very conveniently consolidated heap of dedicated fat chance fans & all.

zonq

For anyone stuck trying to get thru:

"As many of you already know, we attended Interbike 2014 in Las Vegas. Our goal was to spread the word about the resurrection of Fat Chance Bicycles and connect with friends, old and new, in the bike industry. We are so humbled by the outpouring of support and enthusiasm we received from everyone we encountered at Interbike. We want to thank everyone from industry players like Dave Earl (Praxis Works) and Andrew Herrick (Intense Bicycles), to the hundreds of Fat Chance fans who took the time to share their insights, stories and general good will. Interbike was a huge success and inspiration. Thank you!

Since Interbike, we have been analyizing the outpouring of feedback we received through the website, social media channels, phone calls, and personal meetings. Thousands of Fat fans have provided their input on what they would like next Yo Eddy to be and we are excited to announce the results. The vast majority of votes were for a steel trail bike. However, wheel size was split down the middle between 27.5” and 29”. So, instead of choosing one over the other, we are going to procuduce both. The first round of limited edition frames are going to be a steel Yo Eddy with trail geometry, your choice of 27.5” or 29” wheels, plus modern updates like a disk brake mount, larger head tube and 140mm through axle.

There has been some great press coverage about the relaunch of Fat Chance and the release of a new Yo Eddy. Please see the links below to a few of the articles.

We are currently in the process of designing the frames and setting up production. The first round of frames will be available directly from Fat Chance. Sorry to all of the dealers who have already reached out to us, this is going to be a short run, we’ll have bikes for dealers soon. Please stay tuned for more information about the new Yo Eddy and how you can get yours."

mainlyfats

Anybody know if he gets them built by a reputable jobber does he still have to submit one of each size for CPSC qualification?

DocChill

...no 26" wheels?

...I'm a bit disappointed that no 26" wheels will be available... I think that I'm a bit to small for these modern "big wheels" :(! I hadn't expected that so many people like them...

Spikes

So, a trail bike it is. Front suspension only I presume. The wheel size option is cool obviously, but why no XC hardtail? I never saw a trail bike coming, but that could be my old skool mentality?

laffeaux

...I'm a bit disappointed that no 26" wheels will be available... I think that I'm a bit to small for these modern "big wheels" :(! I hadn't expected that so many people like them...

Have you tried 650b? Unless you're really short (under 5'0") there should be no issue fitting on a 650b frame.

29ers (700c) require riders to be a bit taller to fit them. Although if you're willing to live with negative rise stems and toe overlap they can fit small rider too.

Retro Dude

So, a trail bike it is. Front suspension only I presume. The wheel size option is cool obviously, but why no XC hardtail? I never saw a trail bike coming, but that could be my old skool mentality?

What's the difference between XC & trail bike?

Guess I was out on the trail and missed the memo when mountain bikes were divided up into different categories.

Zamfir

The voters have spoken, and so shall it be.

Sounds like they took the safe path with wheel size and geometry, which i'm glad they did. Why swim against the current?

What i'm really interested in seeing are the construction details; dropouts, gussets, welding, paint, ect.

I'm still hoping for a rigid fork option (segmented of course) and swinging dropouts to run ss.

IF52

Have you tried 650b? Unless you're really short (under 5'0") there should be no issue fitting on a 650b frame.

29ers (700c) require riders to be a bit taller to fit them. Although if you're willing to live with negative rise stems and toe overlap they can fit small rider too.

I agree. And even for taller than average folks like me, 650b is a blast. I'd never go back down to 26er.

Re. 29er, what's Rebecca Roush, like 5' 6" or 5' 7"? and she kills it on a 29er.

laffeaux

What's the difference between XC & trail bike?

Guess I was out on the trail and missed the memo when mountain bikes were divided up into different categories.

"XC" has kind of been assigned to geo designed solely for racing - super light weight, short travel (80-100 mm) steep angles.

"Trail" has become more of a "ride all geometry." Slacker angles, a bit more travel. "Trail" is slotted between "XC" and "Enduro." ;)

I'd not be surprised if the Yo Eddy came with a 120mm fork given a "trail" designation.

mainlyfats

The voters have spoken, and so shall it be.

Sounds like they took the safe path with wheel size and geometry, which i'm glad they did. Why swim against the current?

What i'm really interested in seeing are the construction details; dropouts, gussets, welding, paint, ect.

I'm still hoping for a rigid fork option (segmented of course) and swinging dropouts to run ss.

Have you thought about how much a new Yo frame is worth to you? What about a fork?

I'm curious because nothing would surprise me. If it's expensive - yup - but if he makes something a ton cheaper; a good, simple, production steel bike, I'd think yup as well.

Zamfir

Have you thought about how much a new Yo frame is worth to you? What about a fork?

I'm curious because nothing would surprise me. If it's expensive - yup - but if he makes something a ton cheaper; a good, simple, production steel bike, I'd think yup as well.

I've thought about that and personally i'd order one if the frame sells from $1-$2k. Anything more might be a tough sell, for me.

BTW, I wouldn't pay that much for alloy or carbon. They just don't have the longevity of steel or Ti.

Forks would look a bit wonky if sus corrected, but they are such a classic FT design I would like it see them as a option.