Chris Chance road bike

sivert

Hi folks,

During a stay in the US in 1995, I got the chance to buy this Chris Chance road frame, and brought it with me back to Norway. The serial number is 156, and I would guess it was built around 1980. It was said to be a custom build, which is not unlikely given its 58cm seat tube (c-c) and 56cm top tube (c-c).

Being heavily used over many years, the frame ended up in a pretty bad shape (the before-picture is the red frame), and I wasn't quite sure whether I should retire it or restore it. Luckily, I chose the latter option. The frame had a bad dent in the top tube and very bad paint, so I sent it off to Bob Jackson in Leeds, UK. They did a good job, replaced the top tube and painted the frame.

The worn out Campy parts from the mid nineties were replaced by a Dura Ace 7800 drive train with down tube shifters. Brake levers are from Tektro. I built the wheels with Dura Ace 7900 hubs, DT Revolution spokes (32, 3-cross) with aluminum nipples and Mavic Open Pro rims. Velox rim strips, Michelin Pro 2 tires. Seat post, stem and handlebars are from Nitto, and the saddle is a Fizik Arione. Bottle cage is Ciussi Elite Inox made from stainless steel. Pedals are Shimano A-520. Bar tape is Fizik Microtex.

I suppose some may dislike the contemporary components on such a classic frame, but my goal has not been to have a vintage build, but rather a neo retro, I guess. This bike will be used a lot, for sure, so I wanted the quality of today's components, but I also wanted it to look OK on the frame. I was a little worried about the crank in particular, and I still think it's a little bulky on such a slim frame, but I think it will stay.

As for the decals and the looks of the frame, the most similar looking frame this: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...hance_bike.htm, and hence, I tried to make the decals similar.

Regards,
Sivert

Attachments

• DSC_6770.jpg
    DSC_6770.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_6795.JPG
    DSC_6795.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_6785.jpg
    DSC_6785.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_6784.jpg
    DSC_6784.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_6779.jpg
    DSC_6779.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_6776.jpg
    DSC_6776.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_6775.jpg
    DSC_6775.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_6774.jpg
    DSC_6774.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_6773.jpg
    DSC_6773.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0750.jpg
    DSCN0750.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 35

jbrannsten

Staff member
Nice one Sivert.... If you only lived close by I could have a look at it, greetings from Norway!

DC

The new school parts just show how timeless a top quality frameset is...enjoy the ride! Truly a beauty!

sivert

Thanks guys!

For the fellow Norwegians, I 'm located in Trondheim. If you happen to be there anytime, don't hesitate to drop me a line, and you can take it for a spin if you like and if it fits. Provided there are no remains of the winter salt on the roads...

What's the thing with Lommedalen and Chris Chance anyway? The density of Chris Chance frames there must be enormous :)

Regards,
Sivert

sivert

Is that bottom bracket shell original? I've never seen that before.

As far as I know, it's original. The top tube was the only replacement done by the folks at Bob Jackson. Of course the previous owner might have had it replaced, but in that case I suppose he would have told me.

Regards,
Sivert

jbrannsten

Staff member
Thanks guys!

For the fellow Norwegians, I 'm located in Trondheim. If you happen to be there anytime, don't hesitate to drop me a line, and you can take it for a spin if you like and if it fits. Provided there are no remains of the winter salt on the roads...

What's the thing with Lommedalen and Chris Chance anyway? The density of Chris Chance frames there must be enormous :)

Regards,
Sivert

Unfortunately not up there a lot....but it may be worth while only to have a look at your frame:D

Lommedalen's the place to be.... we should open a museum. It's actually a coincident. Bonsaii and myself got to know each other through a fellow friend who lives close by. Bonsaii and myself lives about 2 min by car or 5 with the bike. What we all have in common is of course the interest for these great bikes. The friend who introduced us had a thing for Klein, but we have been able to convert him. He now own a Ti and a Yo.

settemarche

Sivert,

bike looks great. i really am enjoying the chrome seat and chain stays. they really finish off that vintage frame look.

as for the new components... i love it. very shortly you will see my Slim Chance posted. i am rebuilding with new parts as well. it is much too tough to source NOS matching parts for frames as nice as these.

that bottle cage is a nice vintage touch too.

Sette

sivert

Sivert,

bike looks great. i really am enjoying the chrome seat and chain stays. they really finish off that vintage frame look.

as for the new components... i love it. very shortly you will see my Slim Chance posted. i am rebuilding with new parts as well. it is much too tough to source NOS matching parts for frames as nice as these.

that bottle cage is a nice vintage touch too.
Sette

Thanks, Sette. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your Slim Chance.

Oh, and sorry for the dark pictures in my first post. They looked ok on my Mac, but seeing them on another platform certainly leaves something to be desired unless you turn up the brightness of the screen.

Regards,
Sivert

Last edited: