slippery seat post clamp

WVEddy

So this is an odd one. My seat post clamp was sliding up and popping off the top of the seat tube after a few minutes of riding. you can image the effect of this, seat slides down pretty quick. No amount of tightening would stop it. the clamp is a thomson. I was able to score the inside of the clamp with a screw driver to create enough contact to make it stop popping off. the paint is new, with several coats of clear. should i rough up the paint on the seat collar to give the clamp a little more bite?

Open to ideas.

theredchili

The seat clamp, doesn't this have a bolt which runs through a loop in the seat tube to stop the clamp riding up ?

rick

seat post tab

Thats odd ?

not really, not all Fats came with the tab on the seat tube. Depends upon the model and age I believe

WVEddy

Thats odd ?

not really, not all Fats came with the tab on the seat tube. Depends upon the model and age I believe

Yes, so no tab on my frame. Should I sand the clear coat on the frame to rough it up a little. It seems ok now by putting groves on the inside of the seat collar.

theredchili

you learn something new every day ! all four if my Fats have the tab, (88-91) are the frames without tab later frames then ?

rick

seat tab?

I just did a quick check of a dozen or so bikes in the garage and I would guess that the tab is soemwhat related to age, although my 94 Wicked Lite has a tab and a 94 Yo does not. Perhaps Scott could shed some light on the issue?

WVEddy

The grooves in the seat collar seem to be working, but i think a single turn with some 100grit will fix the problem for good.