1989 Fat Chance

theredchili

I brought this bike last year off Ron Andrews. It appeared to be pretty much original apart from saddle and tyres with Suntour XCD . I built it up (see pics)with a new saddle, amber walls and a Hite-rite,it looked great, but it was missing something, it was an ok ride but was in the shadows of my Yo's, Monster,Wicked etc.The components were pretty worn out so i stripped the bike down and up it up for sale.I had a little interest in it, but it didn't sell.
I'm glad.
I persuaded Kaiser to part with his Groovy forks and IF52 supplied me with some Luv handles and a zooka after my post on here.I brought a second hand King headset of Retrobike,then I had everything I needed for the rebirth of my Fat Chance.
I have replaced the worn out components with some nice Mavic 231 rims laced to White industries hubs, the rear being an eccentric Eno hub with a White Industries 18T coupled to a 34T up font.Thist set up has transformed this bike into a great little Single speed with a much nicer feel to the ride, could be a slightly slacker head angle or the smoothness of the king and reach of the luv handles? who knows .
This is perfect, maybe try a slightly shorter stem at some point but its now so much fun.Yes I know it has Vb-rakes on , but I ride my bikes hard ,so the extra stopping power is much appreciated!

hope you like it :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC02085.jpg
    DSC02085.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC02078.jpg
    DSC02078.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02082.jpg
    DSC02082.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02074.jpg
    DSC02074.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 41

clockworkgazz

great bike for sure and glad the changes have made a difference to the ride- still don't like those forks and well done on getting them off of kaiser- thought he was getting buried with them!

theredchili

great bike for sure and glad the changes have made a difference to the ride- still don't like those forks and well done on getting them off of kaiser- thought he was getting buried with them!

Cheers, there's still time for h to be buried with the forks, I've still got the original fork which i'll keep.Not a fan of the Groovy fork ? What don't you like , the appearance ? Im a fan of them , the way they look and ride

tvcreative

I have a groovy fork, they rock, yours looks really long - I think mine is 395mm a to c. I would also shift the bars so they angle level or slightly down - not upward like prongs

this will give your wrists a break...and relax your position with the sweep back.

Of course all of this is just my old man jaded opinion

happy trails!

Jim

IF52

I wasn't a fan of the Groovy fork at first until I saw one in person at Rody's old shop. Photos don't do them justice at all. They are very nice looking in person.

theredchili

I have a groovy fork, they rock, yours looks really long - I think mine is 395mm a to c. I would also shift the bars so they angle level or slightly down - not upward like prongs

this will give your wrists a break...and relax your position with the sweep back.

Of course all of this is just my old man jaded opinion

happy trails!

Jim

I moved them up as they were a little uncomfortable on the climbs, may have another go with them pointing down.