Deluxe Redux?

dan_hudson

Surprised this hasn't popped up here yet. Seems a conversation between IF's Gary Smith and Chris Chance at this spring's Handmade Bike Show has inspired IF to offer a classic version of their Deluxe. No details yet but the implication is modern materials tempered with old school sensibility. A few words on IF's Facebook page as well as in their most recent blog post...

http://ifbikesblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/break-is-away-big-gap-to-close.html

<tease on the Redux toward the bottom of the entry>

fat-tony

Staff member
Damn! :beer: and bringing back 3D anodized purple with a Chris Igleheart Yo fork to boot.

tvcreative

I would buy the purple king crap, but why buy an IF when there's plenty a good fatties to put modern parts on...

Buy a Moots, save a fat chance

tvcreative

this is an old bike site right?

would love to see the finished product before I judge...

I am sure it will be nice...

I have owned a few deluxe's, and I have a 2005 Phil Ti Pissoff made by IF

they don't ride anything like my FAT's, but they do good work.

I think the family lineage needs to get reacquainted and hope this isn't just a marketing ploy.

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Depending on my wallet and the price....I'd be seriously interested in this.

My only modern bike is also an IF (Crown Jewel SE). It'd be nice to add an MTB.

fat-tony

Staff member
this is an old bike site right?

would love to see the finished product before I judge...

I am sure it will be nice...

I have owned a few deluxe's, and I have a 2005 Phil Ti Pissoff made by IF

they don't ride anything like my FAT's, but they do good work.

I think the family lineage needs to get reacquainted and hope this isn't just a marketing ploy.

I understood this to be a limited run of a new frame based off old school simplicity but with modern convenience (1/8 headtube ?, etc.)

colker

I understood this to be a limited run of a new frame based off old school simplicity but with modern convenience (1/8 headtube ?, etc.)

a 29er disc steel rigid frame and fork. wow! let's pay 2x.. cause it's the same ol' sam ol' thing everybody is doing.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
http://ifbikesblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/deluxe-redux.html

Pics and specs out. I have to say I am really not feeling it.

The paint is ...boring. They remind me of cheap-o fixies more than anything paying homage to vintage MTB. A pearl or some fades-- or classic Fat colors-- could have been awesome. These? Not so much. The names are cheesy and the finishing kit from Crank Bros is doing nothing for me. Flat black tat with lame color accents doesn't seem much out of the ordinary. As these are custom, a painted to match stem would have been a cool thing to do.

Better paint, and a neater parts spec and it could have been awesome. Why not have some homegrown stuff like Thomson for stem/post or some White Industries cranks? The made in the USA angle would have been really fun....even if they stuck with Shimano for drivetrain. Oh well..... who is going throw $6,000 at this?

tvcreative

IF it was a FAT...

Well the offering looks like most of the IF products, clean and fresh...

The Crank Brothers bars and stem look good, but get terrible reviews for flex and difficulty to install/replace bars. i agree with Yo-Nate-Y that a thomson stem and seatpost would have been tastier.

the only thing similar to a fat is the short segmented fork and perhaps the color palette...

the only place where old school meets new school was in somebody's marketing plan...

the only reason to buy one, is being able to brag that you own one...

I would be curious to hear the thoughts of Chris on this offering...(I noticed his name isn't on it, which would make it more desirable)

I will say for the record that I own an IF PHIL pissoff number 36 (the only geared version) with a rigid IF fork and paid dearly for that right. Does ride better? Nah...but it turns heads on the trail and at the bike shop.

Last edited:

Spikes

I tend to disagree with the two previous posters. I think that the bike looks great. The paint jobs remind me of team violet and grellow. The blue is just a nice more modern scheme, that looks a lot like my Shock-a-Billy.

I like the unity of the Crank Bros parts too. Thomson does not make bars and their stem is not elegant enough imho for a skinny steel bike. The subtle color matched details on the stem look nice. Besides: try to find bars these days without screaming colors and or logos. I think that was the argument too for the XT gruppo, besides the fact that the XT gruppo has been around since the early days of mountain biking. It is just g

The fact that IF talked with the Chrisses (Chance and Igleheart) and came up with this idea is very daring and very nice. I really like the result and am very tempted to jump for one of these puppies.

By the way: I too am very curious about Chris Chance's opinion about these bikes!

IF52

Thomson does make a Ti bar, or at least it will soon be available. And I think Thomson's stuff fits right in with any sudo retro theme this bike might carry, as the Thomson parts have that CNC look that was so in fashion back in the day.

IF52

Oh, and if they are going to call it a redux, why not go back to the original decal designs from the 95 bikes?