BB collars, how much need?

rody

Hey guys,

a number of years back I had a run of 1000 bb collars made to fill the void in supply for our vintage steeds.

It's hard to believe, but I sent out the last set a week ago.

Now I am faced with this issue; do I have more made or are folks good to go now for a few years. As I've always sold the Fat products for my cost as a service to the community, it's tough to justify spending the cash to replenish an inventory of 1000 pieces (the minimum) that may take another 5 years to recoup.

So, if y'all still feel they are needed, I'll have some more made up.

If everyone is comfortable with their current equipment, I'll for go it for a while.

Input?

cheers,

rody

sy

I need a couple...

Rats. How did I miss the boat? I could really use a pair of collars -- more to be on the safe side, of course. My vintage steed is limping...

Hey guys,

a number of years back I had a run of 1000 bb collars made to fill the void in supply for our vintage steeds.

Now I am faced with this issue; do I have more made or are folks good to go now for a few years. As I've always sold the Fat products for my cost as a service to the community, it's tough to justify spending the cash to replenish an inventory of 1000 pieces (the minimum) that may take another 5 years to recoup.

If everyone is comfortable with their current equipment, I'll for go it for a while.

Input?

cheers,

rody

smittylube

I have never swapped mine out.. still original, but feel fine. After our conversation if it feels fine dont bother.
hard to believe it has lasted as many miles as it has.

that being said I still would like to, just to clean them up, but not worth 1000 to be made

steve

DC

Man, I've been procrastinating. One collar on the Yo has a crack, but the bearings spin fine so I haven't been in a hurry. I figured: I'll just order 4 of them from Rody this winter. I guess I missed the boat. When I win the lotto I'll make sure Rody has enough Fat specific goods to last all our lifetimes!!!

rody

Ok guys, after receiving a few sob stories and folks lamenting that they need collars now, I've decided to see what I can do.

I negotiated some CNC time for a smaller run and am I'm happy to tell you that the collars will be available again in about 10 days.

Cost will be going up 3 bucks a set to 25 dollars, but at least they will still be available.

7000 series AL billet with a 10-32 steel alloy bolt...I've also increased the OD about .020" to allow for a deeper pinch cut so that folks can overtighten without too much worry about future failure.

Drop me a line if you need some,

rody@groovycycleworks.com

rody

Kirk Shell

Hey guys,

Input?

cheers,

rody

Hey Rody and fellow Fat-sters,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I've been trying to find out exactly what this bottom bracket collar is. I just replaced my 16 year old titanium bb with what I believe was an equivalent to an old XT or XTR bb. Not as nice or light, but cheap.

Can someone tell me what this bb collar is? Tried google and my local tech and I'm I'm just not sure.

(UPDATE) got on Rody's site and I get it now. Sorry to waste you time. Now I'm edumacated!

Thanks!
Kirk.

Last edited:

Oirad

Rody,

You kindly supplied me with one a couple of years ago and, so, I should be all set. Having said that, given what it costs us and the fact that you've been really cool about supporting Fat owners, I'd pick up a spare. I don't know if I'll ever need it, but this isn't exactly the kind of part I can find at my LBS.

So, yeah, have some more made up and I'll buy one.

Thanks!

--Oirad