Tight seat tube on the wicked: should i ream?

colker

I have 2 seatposts, both 26.4, both are really tight . I don't even need to tighten the seat collar. It's that tight. It gets worse the more i insert the seatpost. It's worse w/a suntour, less w/ the syncros.
Any idea on what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks

chainline

Ok, what does the inside of the seat tube look like ? is it clean or is it full of crud.also is the dia of the seat post what it says it is.?if you had a simple ball hone is good to clean up the junk and not that damaging if you make a mistake. just dont get to crazy cause you can take thousands's of an in in a hurry. but i would suspect the diameter of the two seat posts are different. some verniers will tell you that in a hurry! good luck

colker

the posts are correct. i will take it to a shop and ream a bit. It's not crud. Could be a burr?

colker

no scar.. the syncros fits much better than the suntour but still too tight next to my other bikes. everything says 26.4.. there is no suntour at 26.6. a 27.0 wouldn't even enter the seat tube.
weird.

chainline

I would run a ball flex hone thru it first.not a big fan of seat tube reamers. a little aggressive and your frame is in a world of hurt.a ball hone will clean up any imperfections.
Now there could be the possibility of when the seat tube was welded the weld blew thru enough to create a high spot in the seat tube and that is when the reamer will come in handy.id try step 1 first. just my 2 cents

colker

Thanks. I will go w/ those sugestions. Bought it used and the seller told me about it. He thought the tube was deformed at the seat collar due to manhandling but the issue starts 1in inside. everything seems fine and then it isn't.. one of those.

chainline

I'm sure all the frames were reamed before they left,( part of the finnish process ) . but it could have been a friday frame. hhaahaha.

IF52

somebody clamped the seat tube in a stand maybe? Not enough to visibly deform the tube, but enough to make a wierd fit

colker

somebody clamped the seat tube in a stand maybe? Not enough to visibly deform the tube, but enough to make a wierd fit

that makes sense. Though it tightens really close to top tube/seat tube seatstays weld. what could be done about it?

chainline

If's Idea could be a good possibility for sure.wax the seat tube with some good old fashion car wax And the run your finger down the tube you should be able to feel the defect if that was the case.

colker

since i forced the suntour post to move up and down(w/lots of Park Tool grease applied), the syncros moves much better now. The suntour still feels ultra tight though.. that's a good thing though i can't still figure what to do next. Find an even thicker post and repeat? 26.4 is a bitch of a size to find samples.

tvcreative

I think IF52 is on to something...

I have had a few frames where the previous owner was a little over zealous - clamping thin walled tubes with a bike stand...

Maybe cut your post to just what is needed vs jamming a very long post down into it?

ream if you must...just don't take too much material...

hope this helps

colker

Seems like there are no spots.. it's all around tigh but much better since i massaged the tube w/ a thicker post. gut feeling says it's all there is to be done. I am not a fan of drastic measures on frames. at least it's not a slipping seatpost that needs constant readjusting.. aaaarrgh!:mad: