How much would you pay for a Yo?

rthomer

I'm beginning the hunt for Yo frame and fork or a complete bike. Ideally I'd like to find a nice pristine frame and fork or complete bike that needs some work or parts swap. I don't want to strike at the first one I see, and have already passed on a few, but I'm curious what the going rate should be for a YO. It's certainly a subjective thing, and if I see one I love I'll probably pay.

But here's the choices as I see it:

1. Frame and Fork in great shape
2. Project Yo, frame and fork needs paint, parts aren't worth much. (like the white one on Ebay now)
3. Project Yo, frame and fork needs paint, has good parts most can be used
4. Yo in great shape, paint is good, doesn't need much, most parts are useable.

I'd love to stumble on that rare find, but lets face it most of these end up on Ebay, craigslist or this forum. (although I saw a kid riding a real nice YO in an upscale area near Santa Monica , almost followed him home)
Thanks in advance.
R

AB

Value/price

No offense, but this question has been asked umpteen times here over the last 6 years or so. IMO - as I see the market you're looking at a range of $1,000.00 USD i.e. low end would be $600.00 and high end $1,600.00. Keep in mind this is merely an estimate from previous sales and each bike/frame is different. I've been very surprised by recent sales of various older mt bikes.

Good luck.

Upchuck

I agree with AB's estimate for a complete bike. Frame and fork could go as low as $500 with today's economy.

I have an 85 Fat Kicker frame/fork that I'm waiting to sell. Just don't want to list it until things settle down.

rthomer

Thanks for the replies...
Thats helpful, I would say that the YO's I've seen are probably overpriced then. I can be more patient and find one I feel good about.
R

mainlyfats

IMHO Never ever buy a project bike unless it's resplendent with WTB. If money even enters into your value equation just don't do it.

Also IMHO, mountain bikes have yet to show themselves as investments (in the way say skateboards of equal vintage have). I'm being really naughty here, but if you want a perfect Yo, buy a Groovy.

rthomer

Yea, definitely not about an investment....it is about minimizing your losses before you start.

I had to laugh about about the Groovy....but after seeing his work on his website, you may be right! And in the long run it may be cheaper too.

Now you got me thinking here.

jh4rt

Yea, definitely not about an investment....it is about minimizing your losses before you start.

I had to laugh about about the Groovy....but after seeing his work on his website, you may be right! And in the long run it may be cheaper too.

Now you got me thinking here.

How is this for a "big" Yo! ???
IMG_2200.JPG

rthomer

That's damn nice!
Very nice ride. Unless it's just the angle, the fork blades look smaller in diameter than a Yo.
Beautiful iines, no stack on your headset and your riding height/position looks comfortable.
Is that a 29er?

IF52

That's damn nice!
Very nice ride. Unless it's just the angle, the fork blades look smaller in diameter than a Yo.
Beautiful iines, no stack on your headset and your riding height/position looks comfortable.
Is that a 29er?

That bike has a Ho Down fork on it, which uses 1 inch blades like the Fat Big One Inch fork found on later Yo Eddys versus 1 1/8th inch blades like an early Yo fork.

jh4rt

That's damn nice!
Is that a 29er?
It is a 29er...

Yah Ho down fork: 1" blades / box crown rather than segmented. Awesome ride...

jh4rt

Or...of course... IF

Because their roots are strictly Fat City. The Deluxe is definitely a modern take on the Yo.

Upchuck

I also had Igleheart build a segmented fork. It's a 650B specific fork for my 99 Yo! SS conversion. Rides really nice!

AB

Ted Wojcik

Ted Wojcik builds some very nice bikes; he's been in business for over 20 years. I as well wouldn't hesitate to recommend IF. Obviously they build a lot of high quality bikes.

mainlyfats

Ted Wojcik builds some very nice bikes; he's been in business for over 20 years. I as well wouldn't hesitate to recommend IF. Obviously they build a lot of high quality bikes.

+1 on Wojcik. Got one in the stable and it's awesome. Hard to get more New England OG than Ted...

smittylube

I keep thinking about Ted or Rody as my next bike- disc brakes and good front sus, whatever build kit you prefer..

Steve