1" to 1 1/8th headtube timeline

settemarche

well my baby Buckshaver arrived today. extra small in arrest me red. NY build. no pics yet. bike really needs a full detailing.

BS XS 2016

looks like a 1996 serial. but it appears to have an 1 1/8th head tube???

i was under the impression that 1 1/8th headtubes come online around 1997.

to make matters more murky - i just parted with a 1997 Yo Eddy which had a 1" headtube.

what say all of you?

Butcher

With an 1 1/8" set up your Buck is no 96 (unless it was modified). Can you really tell the year or approximate it from the NY serial numbers? My wifes Buck is a 96 (I think) and it's a 1" steer tube. Another thing I notice with her bike vs my 98 Yo is the Yo has the brazed on bullet stay caps where her buck has the shaped/machined bullet stays like the Sommerville bikes. I remember Scott (Fat Welder) saying on here once that Chris took tubing inventory with him to the NY shop so some of the NY bikes would have the machined stay ends as the old inventory was used up. The machine that they used to make those bullet stay ends did not make the trip to NY so subsequent NY bikes had the brazed on stay ends. At least that is the way I remember it.

I have a 98 Yo with a 1 1/8" head tube so I've always assumed that is where they made the switch - at least with the Yo Eddy. I've always assumed that the other models were in line with that, but with Fat City you can never be to sure.

kuna26

Your 1998 YO

Is your 1998 Yo suspension adjusted to accept 3 inches? I have a 1994 Yo with a mag 21 that still works, but have an opportunity to get a different newer 1998 Fat with 1 1/8 steerer tube, and wondered if it worth doing it for having the opportunity to run a better suspension. Thanks.

settemarche

With an 1 1/8" set up your Buck is no 96 (unless it was modified). Can you really tell the year or approximate it from the NY serial numbers? My wifes Buck is a 96 (I think) and it's a 1" steer tube. Another thing I notice with her bike vs my 98 Yo is the Yo has the brazed on bullet stay caps where her buck has the shaped/machined bullet stays like the Sommerville bikes. I remember Scott (Fat Welder) saying on here once that Chris took tubing inventory with him to the NY shop so some of the NY bikes would have the machined stay ends as the old inventory was used up. The machine that they used to make those bullet stay ends did not make the trip to NY so subsequent NY bikes had the brazed on stay ends. At least that is the way I remember it.

I have a 98 Yo with a 1 1/8" head tube so I've always assumed that is where they made the switch - at least with the Yo Eddy. I've always assumed that the other models were in line with that, but with Fat City you can never be to sure.

Butcher,

i think you are right about the serial numbers. they do tend to be all over the place and seem to be at times unrelieable.

my 1993 Mass BuckShaver has a 1" headtube. but then again so did my 97 NY Yo - which according to the timeline should have had a 1 1/8th headtube.

in looking at the frame it does not appear to have been modified in any way. maybe it was a test? special order? maybe they only had 1 1/8th diameter tube sitting around that day? you know how small business can be - just ship it!

Sette

Butcher

Is your 1998 Yo suspension adjusted to accept 3 inches? I have a 1994 Yo with a mag 21 that still works, but have an opportunity to get a different newer 1998 Fat with 1 1/8 steerer tube, and wondered if it worth doing it for having the opportunity to run a better suspension. Thanks.

You know I'm not sure if the 1 1/8 in steerer tube frames were designed around a fork with more travel than the early suspension corrected frames with a 1" steerer tube. Perhaps someone else on the forum can help out with that question. I'm betting they would be though as the first suspension corrected frames were for about 65mm.

A 3" travel fork is about 80mm which was the XC norm in 1998 if I'm remembering correclty - so I'll bet that is what it's designed for and that is what is on my 98 Yo.

Butcher

Butcher,

you know how small business can be - just ship it!

Sette

Yep, I'm sure there was plenty of that. They were a custom shop too so if a customer wanted something reasonable they would do it.

I do wonder if they needed a different frame jig though to do the 1 1/8" set up. If Scott's checking the forum he would know.

settemarche

Why do you think this is a 96'?

B,

i was under the impression that for the most part the 90's bikes have the last number as the year. BSXS2016

model: BS - BuckShaver

size: XS

frame number built: 201

year of production: 6 - for 1996

the above is the only pattern or trend of Fat frame dating that i am familiar with. of course we know that many years are much more random. for me, this is a logical starting point. if this is not the correct method please enlighten us. that is why we are here on the forum. to learn from others and enjoy the conundrum that is a Fat Chance.

S

settemarche

You know I'm not sure if the 1 1/8 in steerer tube frames were designed around a fork with more travel than the early suspension corrected frames with a 1" steerer tube. Perhaps someone else on the forum can help out with that question. I'm betting they would be though as the first suspension corrected frames were for about 65mm.

A 3" travel fork is about 80mm which was the XC norm in 1998 if I'm remembering correclty - so I'll bet that is what it's designed for and that is what is on my 98 Yo.

B,

not sure about the travel on the fork. i am still sort of in the cleaning and inspection process. just doing a little every night. taking the slow and easy route.

with regard to the bullet stay ends. the ones on the NY Buck have some weld marks around them. my Mass bikes have a much cleaner bullet end.

S