Decisions, decisions

DC

Well, I just fired off paypal to jh4rt for his Ho Down fork. Now is the hard part! This fork means I can take the crapola Manitou 4 off Steph's Yo, cool. The problem is: do I give her the Ho Down or put the Ho Down on my Buckshaver and let her have the Vicious fork??? A threadless set up is in the future for one of them...Any opinions?

Attachments

• StephYO.jpg
    StephYO.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BUCK.jpg
    BUCK.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 38

Upchuck

The problem is: do I give her the Ho Down or put the Ho Down on my Buckshaver and let her have the Vicious fork??? A threadless set up is in the future for one of them...Any opinions?
Having ridden jh4rt's HoDown on his Yo, I can tell you it is one smooooth ride. I'd put it on the Yo and the Vicious on the Buck.

DC

Ho Down on the Yo! is the way I'm leaning. Steph likes her bars nice an high, which is more cleanly accomplished going threadless with a stack of spacers. Plus the Vicious has served the Buck well for nearly 10 years, so why change a good thing. Also the unicrown/staight legs are kind of sexy with the wishbone rear end. Selfishness is the big delima, I want the new toy! Thats ok, her bike is fun for me to ride!(a seatpost swap and I'm good to ride)

DC

Decision made!

Well, after Stephanie got her hands on the Ho Down the decision was over! A quote along the lines of "You can put this on my bike and get rid of that ugly suspension thing, and it was made by that cool guy down in Ohio, and you didn't pay full price? When are you installing it?"
Then the disappointment that we have to wait for her new headset to show up, and a long winded tutorial on the difference between threaded and threadless. Which seg-wayed into a discussion about how a King headset is actually a better value than a Cane Creek...I lost, the Cane Creek will be here end of the week!

Pics when installed.

DC

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Good choice!
I think the Vicious looks really good on the Buck Shaver too.

Now you need to buy a *different* new toy for it!

DC

Good choice!
I think the Vicious looks really good on the Buck Shaver too.

Now you need to buy a *different* new toy for it!

Thanks, and the *different* new toy just got taken care of. It's Groovy also...a set of Luv Handles to replace the Salsa Cro Moto risers, the Luvs feel great and retain my SFE (steel front end) philosophy:)

DC

I installed the Ho Down fork on Steph's Yo! yesterday at the shop. Then I got to ride it home...the long way! It rides great, first impression was similar in ride to a BOI. She has only had time to ride it around the block, but thinks it looks bitchin'.

Attachments

• StephYoHoDown1.jpg
    StephYoHoDown1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 26
  • StephYoHoDown2.jpg
    StephYoHoDown2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

bonsaii

Ho-Hooo!

Hell, that looks cool, DC! Real sharp! I think the Yo! is better suited for this fork than the Buck, as the Yo tubing are larger and kinda "weights up" for the Ho down box.

Is there zero offset (caster angle) on the wheel base? The fork crown looks entirely straight. Could you upload pics straight from the side, too?

Did the Yo! undergo a re-paint? The decals are Wicked, am I right?

-bns

DC

Thanks for the compliments, Bons. As for the offset, it is accomplished by how the steerer is welded into the box crown, here is a link to pics from the original classified ad.:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mavsolve/OnSale42209?feat=directlink#5327713192288510098

As for the decals and paint, I don't know the full history of the frame, so I can't say. Maybe billyb will chime in here as he knows more about its past than I do.

DC

Attachments

• stephyohoside.jpg
    stephyohoside.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

smittylube

What tires are those? I see conti do you get it off road or both? I have a 10+ yr old zmax that is about to pop out the sidewall. I want to get something light that won't put me otb or slide out on the loose ontop of hardpack we get locally
Steve

Btw it looks great with the new forks

DC

Thanks Steve,
Those are Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 tires, it is Steph's off road only bike, which is good because the tires feel like suction cups on the pavement.

billyb

Thanks for the compliments, Bons. As for the offset, it is accomplished by how the steerer is welded into the box crown, here is a link to pics from the original classified ad.:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mavsolve/OnSale42209?feat=directlink#5327713192288510098

As for the decals and paint, I don't know the full history of the frame, so I can't say. Maybe billyb will chime in here as he knows more about its past than I do.

DC
DId that come from Dan?? if so I can't quite remember the origins , I think that it came from Bio Wheels

DC

DId that come from Dan?? if so I can't quite remember the origins , I think that it came from Bio Wheels

Yeah, it came from Dan. Decals are definately not normal for a stock Yo! and they are cleared over. Who knows!