Slim Chance

MikeNZ

I cant believe I just found out about this site. I have been a Fat fanatic since about 1985. I managed a bike shop in Sunnyvale Ca back in 1987-90 and was instramental in the shop carrying Fats as well as becoming the largest retailer of Fats on the West Coast. The history and love is deep. I have a 58cm (serial # 002Z08) slim chance that was supposedly from the first batch (8) that were destined for Mavic as support bikes. Chris did all the work himself and said after these were done that he was not going to use G.P. Wilson dropouts in the future because they were such a bitch to make them look nice (too much filing). I still ride the bike everywhere and it is regularly taken into the dirt where it seems to want to be. I also have a wicked lite with an early box crown team fork that I have turned into a 700c touring bike. I might go to hell for the bastardisation but it is a lovely touring bike that spends a lot of time off road. Pic's attached. All of my co-workers were equally obsessed and still cling to the memories. I'll see if I can find them to post some photos....just remembered that we had a shop race series and most of them were riding late 80's fats; there are pictures around somewhere.....

Attachments

• DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 65

Bssc

The original Slims were in my opinion the best ones. I had the pleasure of building four of the Mavic Neutral support bikes they were great bike to ride. The production frames did not even come close to the same ride qualities. (stiffer BB and stiffer chain stays made for a good sprint and climbing abilities in the frame)

rody

When I rode the Race Across America in 94, a women's team from a local university was riding matching team violet Slims. Very sexy, the bikes looked good too ;) . I'll dig through the old photos and see if I have any of thier Fat's.

cheers,

rody

bushpig

Beautiful bikes. That Wicked Lite looks (strangely?) good with that build. I second Rody - eager for more pics!

MikeNZ

Fats in Calif.

Digger90 said:
I lived in Los Altos for 5 years 93-98... what shop were you at?

Hi, I was at Spectrum Cycles in Sunnyvale - 1987-1990 so just missed you. I grew up in Los Altos.....sure do miss the sticky single track in Rancho San Antonio!!!

MikeNZ

touring photo

bushpig said:
Beautiful bikes. That Wicked Lite looks (strangely?) good with that build. I second Rody - eager for more pics!

sounds like Rody is offering pics of girls on slims whereas all I can offer is a bunch of sweaty blokes. Here is one of my converted Wicked while doing a N. Island tour. We did 70kms this day on sand with a 5 knot tailwind. Trying to make my arms work like a sail - it actually worked (kindof).

Attachments

• 2980scd.jpg
    2980scd.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 68

MikeNZ

58 Slim

Unfortunately I have some bad news if anyone cares. I found a crack in my slim over the weekend. It is at the bb/seattube junction and is migrating from the BB up into the seat tube. So I have probably ridden it for the last time. Very sad.:( Lots of good memories though which will remain.