dented chain stay

VTwoods

I dented my right chain stay recently in two places. It was very sad. I brought it to a bunch of shops and everyone had the same reaction, bummer cosmetically, but shouldn't affect the ride. So far it is not noticable. One more great reason to own steel.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of new chain stays being welded on? Is that a good solution or will the repair be worse than a slightly bent chain stay?

If I was to look into having it fixed, the first place I would probably call would be Independent Fabrications. Any other ideas?

Doug Carter

Staff member
Repairs for Fat bikes seem to be going through one guy right now, for the sake of the authenticity and quality of the frame repair. That's Ted Wojcik. Ted's phone is 603-329-8057, and his site is http://www.tedwojcikbikes.com. I have seen his work and I wouldn't hesitate to send my frame to him for any work.

doug

VTwoods

thanks for te info. I see it is a New Hampshire area code. That is convenient for me in VT. I'll check it out.

webby

Big Dent

I dented my seat stay at the world cup in 94 at Mount Snow, little endo in the woods but it somehow managed to land on a rock! Showed it to Chris a couple of days later after doing the DH race as well and he said it would be fine... it even ovalised the tube slightly. Never had a problem with it, wouldn't worry.

SSjason232

I just got my bike back from paint at Vicious Cycles. My buddy who bought my old Yo Eddy recently dented the seat stay on the left side. I asked Jim @ Vicious if they offered repair services as well as paint to non-Vicious bikes and told me they did, and they have had a number of Fats in there over the years. They build a lot of custom steel frames (kinda like Fat used to do) and their bikes are work are top notch from what I have seen. They also paint awesome (for after the repair). Just an idea to keep your options open. Good luck.

mainlyfats

Ditto

Doug said:
Repairs for Fat bikes seem to be going through one guy right now, for the sake of the authenticity and quality of the frame repair. That's Ted Wojcik. Ted's phone is 603-329-8057, and his site is http://www.tedwojcikbikes.com. I have seen his work and I wouldn't hesitate to send my frame to him for any work.

doug

My wife has a Wojcik and I wouldn't hesitate about putting my bikes in his hands for a second. His torch work is immaculate and his paint jobs are second to none.