Shockabilly Questions

Tarponhead

Q1: How is the Shockabilly for chain suck and rear bob while pedaling? As good as a Titus? (I have read some bad things on the web regarding the Gary Fisher Cake 3. Was wondering if these issues plagued the early technology full suspension bikes, including the FC.)

Q2: does anyone know the specs on travel?

Q3: Is the rear schock easily upgraded, or do the bosses (or other things) need changing to fit a modern shock?

I'm thinking of a vintage ride instead of a new bike. comparing the pros/cons of the move.

thx
Tom

AB

IMO - A vintage ride is just what it is - older technology. If you don't care about 100+ mm of travel or disc brakes or modern shocks or modern components than a vintage bike is for you. However do not fool yourself into thinking that a vintage bike will perform as well as a modern bike or that you will be able to find readily available parts for vintage bikes. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of vintage bikes and do like riding them around, but my every week trail bike is a modern bike and by modern I mean any frame with an 1-1/8" head tube and disc brake tabs.

All that being said If I was in the market for a modern FS frame I'd get a Turner.

AB

Tarponhead

AB,
Thx for the reply. Obviously I am exploring opinions/input on the vintage vs modern. I agree the new tech is ahead, but I think that 3-4 inches of travel will be sufficient for the areas I ride. I also think that disks are nice, but then again, you can only clamp down so hard before that tire will slide on the dirt. I just dont want to get into a frame that has a "design flaw". I have read on the net about some early FS bikes having severe peddle bob, and chain suck, and I dont want that. (yea, hard to stop chain suck bombing down a hill WFO. I am concerned about it taking place with less severe common usage). The shock configuration on the Shockabilly seems to be similar to many of the more modern desings on the market, so I wonder if you can adjust for the peddle bob issue? I assume you can adjust for that with the pressire within the shock. I am unsure how much another pivot in front of the rear shock will aid in eliminating peddle bob (I have seen the
Titus design having a secondary pivot between the rear triangle and shock).

I am a little weird in that I like doing the work, and finding a decent deal vintage stuff. My favorite car has no fuel injection, power brakes or windows. All its little quirks makes it a joy to maintain and drive. My point: having to search for parts, and not having the latest top of the line stuff doesn't bother me.

Anyway, you guys are the experts. I have never rode a Shockabilly to know. I welcome your input. I will definitely check out the Turner.

I-ROBOT

For what its worth,

I was never a great rider by any stretch of the imagination. Luckily for you all, I was a far better welder. There were two things that made me a much better rider: clipless pedals and suspension. Not being the most slender guy in the world, a superlight hardtail didn't make much difference to me. I built one, crashed it hard and nearly broke a rib. Sold it to my bro-in-law (now ex), and regretted getting rid of it. oh well. The suspension fork made me get through single track so much better than I could before and the shock-a-billy was a revelation. It probably did pogo some on pedaling but that never bothered me and I don't remember it being that severe.

We didn't really like the Horst link rear end all that much but it was the best available without having to engineer our own. We did come up with our own design but by that time, Somerville's days were numbered. I really don't know what came on the NY frames or how many were built there.

I really regret not building a Billy for myself. Had I known how things would have turned out, I certainly would have.

I don't know your riding style or where you ride, but I know that SAB's are relatively rare and would probably be more valuable as a collectible than an everyday woods thrasher. If you want something to ride everyday, buy a modern bike and hang parts you want on it.

Just my two shiny pennies:D
good luck
Scott

Tarponhead

I-Robot. AB,
thx for the input. After your suggestions, I started looking at modern bikes (I consider my enquiry as part of the discovery process :D). Like you said, the technology is more updated, and probably more refined.
I ended up going with yet another out of business builder... Titus Racer X. got a great deal at my former employer, and helped him with dead inventory... a good win-win for both of us. With my riding style (XC, Trail), the bike should last forever, like my FC has.
So now I have 3 bikes from out of business fram builders.... hopefully I'm not the kiss of death!!

The Kicker will be converted into a neighborhood bomber with slicks, and platform pedals, and maybe a rear rack to haul beer to pool/neighbors house :cool:

I-Robot, were you welding in '84-'85? Maybe you built my Kicker?

Thx again guys.

scant

I'd say theres a big deal of difference between the earlier original shockabilly (SAB) with the AMP back end compared to the later all steel built SAB. The later all steel is noticeably heavier, but also consider stronger/ stiffer. Most modern shocks will fit the later SAB, but you'll need a very short eye to eye length that arent as common now as they used to be.

Tarponhead, I guess you've seen that Titus has closed down.. uncertain yet wether the brand can be rescued..
I've ridden a racer X & liked it. its very similar to the yeti ASR.

fat-tony

Staff member
hijack

I'd say theres a big deal of difference between the earlier original shockabilly (SAB) with the AMP back end compared to the later all steel built SAB. The later all steel is noticeably heavier, but also consider stronger/ stiffer. Most modern shocks will fit the later SAB, but you'll need a very short eye to eye length that arent as common now as they used to be.

Tarponhead, I guess you've seen that Titus has closed down.. uncertain yet wether the brand can be rescued..
I've ridden a racer X & liked it. its very similar to the yeti ASR.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I couldn't resist: Welcome back Scant (haven't seen you post in a while, you've been missed) :alien2:

Last edited:

Tarponhead

Tarponhead, I guess you've seen that Titus has closed down..

Scant,
yea, I'm aware. I got the frame cheap enough to offset that. I dont anticipate any issues as I am not the jump or heavy down hill type. I did some heavy research, and found that these frames rarely have issues.

thx