Seat and Bar advice.

jh4rt

So,

I have decided to stay all rigid. However, in order to save my back side a bit, I think I'm going to trade up on my seat; and at the same time on my bars. Currently, I'm running a flite ti saddle and Scott AT-2 bars. I have had a few people tell me that the AT-2 bars break. So, I'm considering either a ti or carbon bar. I'd love to hear recommendations for both/each.

Bars: I'm considering either a carbon bar (bar end capable) or a custom seven ti bar.

Seats: I've got no clue here. I have a Syncros aluminum post. I considered a ti post, but can't find one in 29.4. I don't think I'm interested in shimming, but again, would love suggestions.

OK...

Thanks in advance.

-j

rick

the Flite and AT-2 bars are long time favorites of mine, no reason to change as far as I can see.
I did break one pair of AT-2 bars many years ago, IIRC it was the first ride, and the bike shop replaced them and I have never had another problem with them.
I like the Synchros seatpost, but of the stuff now available I really like Thomson.

rick

Upchuck

So,

I have decided to stay all rigid. However, in order to save my back side a bit, I think I'm going to trade up on my seat; and at the same time on my bars. Currently, I'm running a flite ti saddle and Scott AT-2 bars. I have had a few people tell me that the AT-2 bars break. So, I'm considering either a ti or carbon bar. I'd love to hear recommendations for both/each.

Bars: I'm considering either a carbon bar (bar end capable) or a custom seven ti bar.

Seats: I've got no clue here. I have a Syncros aluminum post. I considered a ti post, but can't find one in 29.4. I don't think I'm interested in shimming, but again, would love suggestions.

OK...

Thanks in advance.

-j
Jim,
For a saddle, I'd get a Brooks Champion Flyer Special. I have one on my '90 Merlin and it's one smooth ride. The Seven Ti bar is a great choice and you can't beat the price for custom.
Merlin_SS.JPG

mainlyfats

Scott bars...

So,
Currently, I'm running a flite ti saddle and Scott AT-2 bars.

... are awesome. I have a couple of sets of AT-2s in reserve so that I never run out.

I can really recommend Selle An-Atomica saddles (Brooks with rails!), but as for seatposts in 29.4 - I think it's Thomson or shim. I used a USE shim on my IF with a NOS Suntour XC seatpost. That turned a few head with those in the know!

jh4rt

... are awesome. I have a couple of sets of AT-2s in reserve so that I never run out.

I can really recommend Selle An-Atomica saddles (Brooks with rails!), but as for seatposts in 29.4 - I think it's Thomson or shim. I used a USE shim on my IF with a NOS Suntour XC seatpost. That turned a few head with those in the know!

So you guys are saying the AT-2s are cool? I would rather not change them; had heard they break and was concerned. But, I love my AT-2s!!!!

As for the seat, that brooks is a bit much for my YO! It would be good if it was more of a cruiser, but right now this YO! is my only/everything bike. I rode some nice WTB saddles recently on a f/s giant I was checking out.

Now I'm feeling really smart. I think I'll just leave it as is. ;-P

Thanks for the advice.

colker

ti bars are nice. if you can get a seven, do it. i have carbon bars: lp b5 and they make a difference.
as far as saddle it's totally personal.
if you are going w/ a rigid fork i say get a 2.4 tire under it. inflate it at 35 psi. the level of cush from a big underinflated tire is huge.
the yo lets you have a 2.3 in the back as well unllike a wicked. you won't ride as fast but the comfort...oooh.

yorussell

Plush Carbon

The ti bar sounds nice. I've heard ti has alot of flex, I read a article about the sibex ti fork and the reviewer stated that it visually flexed while cornering. Do you want that in a bar? I've ridden a Monkey lite carbon for about four years, which includes alot of races and five 12 hour solo efforts, with no noticable damage. It's very stiff with great vibration dampening. You can't go wrong with the Thompson I've had one:skull: for seven years along with the stem great product, with great customer service. Hope this helps. If you get he Monkey Light go for the XC over the SL it's thicker and gives me more confidence while using.

Last edited:

jh4rt

Awesome feedback

So... I'm going to leave the AT-2 bars. I like my control stem. I'm actually considering getting a Marzochi suspension fork, but just thinking about it. I'm keeping my syncros seatpost... and buying a seat with a little more cush (not a lot, but it isn't far to get more cush on a flite).

Thanks everyone.

-j

Todd Kornfield

bars and saddles

If your trying to keep the retro look of course brooks is a good choice but selle san marco is offering "classic saddle" like the concor. Nice thing about this saddle is there is not really any break in period like a leather brooks. the ti flite, of course, is a classic choice. Check out the wtbs as well. all mentioned are available in ti.
in terms of bars ti is a great choice. If you are riding a early 90's steel bike i don't think you will need to be worried about flex and ti,similliar to steel offer great vibration dampning qualities and still offer an age appropriate look. Black Sheep out of FT. Collins, Co. offers some cool ti bars and would most likely do custom work without huge sur charges. Carbon bars are totally reliable just do some home work on which ones are best(i like the classic easton mokey lite sl, the mx has too much upsweep.) but even a carbon bar will have a lot of flex unless you go to 31.8.
in terms of post your best bet is Thomson. they are SWEEEET. they make like every size. There are some cool ti ones like moots and ericksen but are a big pain in the ass to install the saddle and are offered in only a couple sizes. Oh yeah in terms of ti bars you can find some ti titec bars cheap on the e-bay. If you like lots of back sweep look for the "flat tracker " bar by titec(ebay).