Serial # help

TC

Hi can anyone give me any info on the below wicked serial #
I.e. Year,model or whatever else it tells us?

Cheers
TC

Stingercut

Saw the bay listing and it stated it was a 19.5in frame, which its looks like to me as i have two the same but the serial shows it to be the 123rd made ( 18in ) 1988 Wicked...so possible a size miss stamp maybe or custom geometry 18in. :confused:

Retro Dude

Close, it's the 1238th wicked built in 1988.

For 1988 and 1989, there was no size designation used.

I'm putting together a serial number decoder, just need to check it over once more then I'll post it up here.

TC

I'm putting together a serial number decoder, just need to check it over once more then I'll post it up here.

Great intel

Stingercut

So no size designation on ANY Fat City frame made in 88/89 or just Wickeds ? It would be great if its verified by Chris himself :beer:

I-ROBOT

There were no size designations in the serial numbers for 1988. For the record, that frame was the 1238th FRAME manufactured in 1988. The W indicates that the frame is a Wicked. We started adding the model designation in 1988 since we had Wickeds, Fats, and Team Comps in the lineup. We did not separate the counts of each model in the 1988 serial numbers, that started later (maybe 1990:confused:)

As an example, my personal 18" Wicked is serial number 87777. In 1987, we put the year for the first two digits (87) followed by the number in consecutive order so my bike is the 777th frame constructed in 1987. That year was the first year that Fat City production went over 1000 frames for any year. I believe that convention was used in 1985 and 1986 (I showed up in November 1986 after Gary left to found Merlin)

One thing I wished that we did was to serialize forks but that never happened so it is likely that there are no accurate counts of the number of unicrowns, box crowns, Yo Eddy's, or Big One Inch forks and all the different sizes and configurations (threaded or threadless) that were manufactured during the Somerville era. I have no idea if that sort of thing was tracked in NY or Stowe.

Hope this helps a little
Regards
Scott

Last edited:

Retro Dude

Here's a page from the 1988 build book that shows what Scott is talking about:

Attachments

• 88Wickedserialcolor1.jpg
    88Wickedserialcolor1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 42

Stingercut

Nice links Mainlyfats :beer:

That custom doodle 'Wicked' is really something :cool:

Still intrigued by the build log though. It mentions building a Tomac Team Comp with GP Wilson dropouts and Campy. The Wicked in those thread links doesnt have GP Wilson dropouts though but does have Campy Euclid from 89. So maybe a Tomac TC does exist or the build specs were eventually changed to a Wicked. OK, il admit it :p Im kinda hoping a Tomac spec TC is still out there :kissyface