Trying to work out the sizing on Yos

mkozaczek

So, I've been after a Yo for myself for a little while. I had a 1992 that I restored and ultimately sold, it was too small. I bought a 1992 large from Woody thinking it might be the ticket but just haven't gotten over the bright yellow and felt that perhaps an M/L might be the better size for me (6'1" with a 34 inseam). I finally found a very nice 1992 Yo that I thought was an M/L and would be a good color match for my Yo fork.

DSC_0153-vi.jpg

The bike is a 1992, serial is 261Y2M which would imply a medium. However the head tube is 123mm long, which implies a M/L. Standover is just a tick over 30" which also support that theory, even though the M/L wasn't technically offered until 1993. Frame does have a threaded BB shell FWIW

So my questions

1. Is this bike suspension corrected, or would a 107mm headtube (1994 Yo sizing) be the key dimension to verify suspension corrected geometry?
2. Is it just an early M/L before the designation came about??
3. What height of rider were these frame really meant for??

With a regular 330(ish) post I'm maxing out the post and still don't feel like it's right. I have a 410mm post coming which will help that, but I'm just not sure that I'm trying to make it something it's not.

Thanks,

Last edited:

tvcreative

I am with you on some of the size issues, I have 3 mediums all different measurements on the top tube, and head tube.

I find a SM that is good on top tube, and it is short on seat tube

Most of the YO's I have had - were really long top tube-wise

Sometimes I really think my Wicked's fit and ride so much better...

My guess is some of this was custom to the original build requested by original customers

my pre 92s all were around 95mm to 98mm headtube length, I think YO NATE YO has posted on this recently...

A standard YO eddy fork not BOI would be likely...as that changed - I think - a year after the 10th anniversary version...

Maybe someone who worked there will reply?

Last edited:

nader

1. Is this bike suspension corrected, or would a 107mm headtube (1994 Yo sizing) be the key dimension to verify suspension corrected geometry?
1.1Can I use the BOI fork or do I really need a Yo Fork?
2. Is it just an early M/L before the designation came about??
3. What height of rider were these frame really meant for??

I have a suspension corrected M/L YO with exact 110 mm headtube.
I would say yours is an M and isn't suspension corrected, so you need a fork with max. 39mm installation height (-> no BOI).

mkozaczek

I have a suspension corrected M/L YO with exact 110 mm headtube.
I would say yours is an M and isn't suspension corrected, so you need a fork with max. 39mm installation height (-> no BOI).

I have an M from 1990 and one from 1992 and they both have much shorter headtubes, around 95mm or so...

mkozaczek

I measured the fork and it's definitely a Yo fork, not a BOI. So at least my theory that this is a non-suspension corrected frame can have a happy ending as long as the bike fits me in the end.

Gotta finish it and take it out for a ride.

First I need a different bottom bracket, the syncros I have in there doesn't work.