Pulled the trigger on a Bontrager Race

Kirk Pacenti

The 3 different offsets were available for rigid forks only and were intended to cater to rider preferences. Iirc they came in 38, 35 and 32mm offsets. Once suspension forks became the norm we could only offer one offset for obvious economic reasons. The Bontrager specific RS Judy all came with 32mm of offset (iirc). Cheers, KP

Last edited:

proto2000

OT: Colker, love Rio de Janeiro

Colker, just saw that you live in Rio de Janeiro. Was there in April for the first time for work and loved it. The MTBing there must be awesome with all of the big rocks jetting out of the earth all around the city. Oh, and the eye candy, you are a lucky man.

colker

Colker, just saw that you live in Rio de Janeiro. Was there in April for the first time for work and loved it. The MTBing there must be awesome with all of the big rocks jetting out of the earth all around the city. Oh, and the eye candy, you are a lucky man.

trails are steep, slippery going thru the forest around those massive rocks. loops are short but very intense. commuting thru the city is fantastic too. the scenery is beautifull.
it's a great city and will get much better now w/ the soccer world cup and the olympics.
oh... and the women.

DC

The 3 different offsets were available for rigid forks only and were intended to cater to rider preferences. Iirc they came in 38, 35 and 32mm offsets. Once suspension forks became the norm we could only offer one offset for obvious economic reasons. The Bontrager specific RS Judy all came with 32mm of offset. Cheers, KP

That is great info, I've been searching the heck out of Bontrager the last week and that is the first I've ever heard of 3 offsets being originally available. Mostly you hear about THE Bontrager offset which I presume is the the 32mm, I wonder how many of the composite forks out there are actually 35 or 38mm??? Also pleased to hear that there was a 38mm, since that is what the Vicious comes in at. This might end up being my tight and twisty singletrack exploration rig!
Thanks,
DC

colker

That is great info, I've been searching the heck out of Bontrager the last week and that is the first I've ever heard of 3 offsets being originally available. Mostly you hear about THE Bontrager offset which I presume is the the 32mm, I wonder how many of the composite forks out there are actually 35 or 38mm??? Also pleased to hear that there was a 38mm, since that is what the Vicious comes in at. This might end up being my tight and twisty singletrack exploration rig!
Thanks,
DC

the vicious fork is already on your way Dan..

you will be able to sing Lou Reed's classic while riding
" ooh Baby...
you are so vicious!"

Jack Lantern

The 3 different offsets were available for rigid forks only and were intended to cater to rider preferences. Iirc they came in 38, 35 and 32mm offsets. Once suspension forks became the norm we could only offer one offset for obvious economic reasons. The Bontrager specific RS Judy all came with 32mm of offset. Cheers, KP

Kirk,

Can you shed any light on the older fork crown numbering system? Those older crowns had a single digit number stamped on the underside. I've seen 4's, 5's & 7's, 7 being the one with the most rake. Was it just rider preferance on the rake/number or was a Bonty of that era intended to use a specific crown with the other crowns being offered for other brand bikes?

IF52

Kirk,

Was it just rider preferance on the rake/number or was a Bonty of that era intended to use a specific crown with the other crowns being offered for other brand bikes?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering when I asked the question earlier. Did Keith think he was on to something or was he just offering other offsets for the sake of offering other offsets? Basically, what was HIS original intent

Kirk Pacenti

Yeah, that's what I was wondering when I asked the question earlier. Did Keith think he was on to something or was he just offering other offsets for the sake of offering other offsets? Basically, what was HIS original intent

I couldn't say with any certainty. When I started working there in 1994, the rigid forks had all but been phased out. Iirc, Keith liked how the bikes handled with less offset. I happened to like lower offset too. I'll give KB a shout and see if he can chime in on this. Cheers, KP

Last edited:

DC

Frame and Vicious fork are in my hands...build inspiration is brewing. Cleaning, touch up and frame saver need to be done on frame. The fork, the orange is a bit nasty, will probably build it as is and paint the fork black in the spring(warmer weather).
I have been going back and forth on whether to do a fat tire dirt drop build or a more normal flat/riser bar. Single? Dingle? Full geary?

Lots of wear and tear on the frame, but no dents or rust. Beautiful welds, bad a$$ gussets. Handbuilt American Steel!!!:thup:

Attachments

• bonti1.jpg
    bonti1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bonti2.jpg
    bonti2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bonti3.jpg
    bonti3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
  • bonti4.jpg
    bonti4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 18
  • bonti5.jpg
    bonti5.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 14

Jack Lantern

After the grey w/white & blue decaled OR that orange was always my fav. Vicious fork looks very nice on there too. Even with the vertical dropouts this would still be a great candidate for a single speed. I love the way mine rides as an SS. It was my main ride this past summer. Contrats and enjoy the build whatever direction you go.

DC

Built

Got the Race built this weekend had time to get about 45min of trail time on her yesterday. I'm still trying to reach a verdict on it's character:
1. very responsive to steering input(spent 1/2 hour doing a slalom around the bike shop sales floor, it was raining)
2. on the trail you must steer it through the corners(vs my Fats that you just sit back and carve)
3. bunnyhops like a jackrabbit, seems it would rather bunnyhop trail obstacles than wheelie over them
4. the rear end wanted to slide out a few times on the wet leaves, where I totally wouldn't of expected my Yo or Buck to.
5. Orange is a b*@#^ing color for a trail bike, especially this time of year!

I would say that overall I am pleased. Some of my observations might seem negative, but it is more just getting to know how a new tool performs. I still need to play with the stem length/angle a bit which will also change my COG, changing handling a bit.

Bikes are cool!

Attachments

• bontibuilt4.jpg
    bontibuilt4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 20
  • bontibuilt3.jpg
    bontibuilt3.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
  • bontibuilt2.jpg
    bontibuilt2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 21
  • bontibuilt1.jpg
    bontibuilt1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bontibuilt5.jpg
    bontibuilt5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

colker

awesome!!
so good to see the vicious fork built on a Bonty. the paint will flake like it's christmas. definitely repaint it, in black!!
as for set up i suggest a 135mm stem w/ the risers. it will bring the climber and racer character of that frame.

nice job!!

DC

Been riding the Bonti mostly (other than the commuter) the last couple of weeks, starting to like it quite a bit. The FATs are starting to get lonely though;)!
Can't wait 'till spring comes to paint the fork, looking down and seeing the not exact paint match bugs me, fortunately it is night riding time of year for me.

colker

Been riding the Bonti mostly (other than the commuter) the last couple of weeks, starting to like it quite a bit. The FATs are starting to get lonely though;)!
Can't wait 'till spring comes to paint the fork, looking down and seeing the not exact paint match bugs me, fortunately it is night riding time of year for me.

hahahah! :D

colker

Don't worry Flav, I'll paint it BLACK come springtime!!!!

why not try it w/ slighly longer stems? 120 or 130. it will change the handling.. may be an interesting experiment. just get some cheap stems.

DC

why not try it w/ slighly longer stems? 120 or 130. it will change the handling.. may be an interesting experiment. just get some cheap stems.

Thanks, I have been playing with that (I have an arsenal of Moto-aces and Dimension stems for that purpose). I keep going back to the 110 x 10deg, although I long for the bars to be higher, I need to try a 135 x 15 or 17 even if it looks silly.
I just got back from about 20 miles off-road and the hands are feeling it, also the bar on there has less sweep than I'm used to (it aint no Luv Handle!) so there are multiple factors at work. The trail I rode twists and turns endlessly, and the "Bunny-rager" was right at home.

DC

now on ebay

I've really dug this bike during the last year. Ridden with risers, then did a dirt drop set up which is amazing in really tight and twisty singletrack.
Unfortunately the time has come and I put her up on ebay.