Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

Jassie06

All original 1988 located in CT, USA.
The pictures give the info.

333ia06.jpg

Hi Jassie
Thought I would give you some names that are on the hang tag

From the top: the red scribble is Wendyll Behrend - married to Chris Chance and basically co-owner of Fat City. I think she may still own the rights to the company but don't know for sure.
KUBY - Alison Kuby - she worked in the finishing department. She left around 1990 to attend an art school in Chicago. I met her there during the 1992 AWS show that my nametag is for. She was a fantastic metal artist and I had a crush on her (even though I was married at the time and she never knew it) Last I heard she was living near Philadelphia and was married and had a couple of kids
MP in the star - Mike Pappaconstantine - Team Fat Chance rider and the creator of YO Eddy. He also worked in finishing as a brazer and frame alignment tech. Excellent rider, unbelievable cartoonist - AKA the "biggest name in mountain biking" Last I knew Mike was working as a bike mechanic at Belmont Wheel Works which is one of the biggest independent retailers in New England.
Jeff F... - Jeff Fedderson - He worked in sales and left shortly after this hang tag came out and founded SRP and he marketed titanium bolts and other cool doo-dads. Not sure if SRP is still in business
Hoss - Hoss Rogers was a painter who worked at Fat City for a couple of years. He shot the Sunburst Fade on your frame which is one of my favorite paint schemes. Hoss left to go to Taos, NM where he started his own studio and I believe he is still at it there
BOB (with the X) - Bob Fulk - originally from Virginia, another Team Fat rider who worked in finishing and alignment. Bob designed the "Wicked" logo when the Wicked was introduced in '87 and was married to Heidi (?) who was one of the founders of NEMBA. He left Fat City shortly after they broke up. Whereabouts unknown to me.
Yea! - not sure who may have written that.
Scott P Bengtson (stamp) - Yours truly - Chief Welder at Fat City. I started part time in November 1986 after Gary Helfrich moved across the courtyard and founded Merlin Metalworks. I went full time in June 1987 and stayed until Somerville closed in October 1994. I am a degreed welding engineer, certified inspector, and got to be OK with the TIG torch. Later nicknamed "I-ROBOT" after this guy who built recumbents looked at some stuff I welded for him and said "Looks a robot did that!" I welded your frame and most likely welded the box-crown fork too.

I'm not sure who the scribble is to the lower right of "BOB". I cannot tell if it is one name or two.

The last signature is Debbie Nadolney who worked in shipping. She is the one who carefully wrapped and packed each frameset that sent to dealers all over. Deb was a really nice person and we were friends. She worked at Fat City just about to the bitter end too.

Unfortunately, I do not see Chris Chance's signature on this tag which is kind of surprising since your bike is a Team Comp and was our top-of-the-line bike for 1988. I'm not sure why he did not sign this one. We used to sit around and sign bunches of them and they would be in a box in the shipping department and Deb would just grab one and fill out the model, size , and SN. Guess Chris missed the batch that yours was taken from.

Take good care of that bike. A certain collector's item for sure, especially a 16.5" one. I bet we didn't make more than five 16.5" Team Comps that year.

regards
Scott Bengtson

Scott,
Thanks for all the interesting information.
Wish it was a bit more personal than "take a tag from the box" though.
The bike cost about three times my wife's trip to France at the time, but I did manage to get the paint job and a T shirt for free though.

The scribble to the lower right of BOB appear to be the same hand, maybe first and last name.?. Best I can tell it looks like fif... or fef..., then Jem... or Jer...
Ed

Last edited:

mojo ti

I'm new to Fatcogs, like beautyfull titanium frame ... :confused:

Frame type FAT CHANCE TITANIUM
Frame number: TFM1112
Year of manufacture: 99
Frame size: M
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Bead Blast Titanium w/Red Decals

Location (city, state, country): FRANCE
Owner name: Mojo Ti

after 15mn to arrive ... :p

Gotlime?

I bought my bike new, but I can't recall that much about it.

It's aquamarine fade. It's a medium. It's a Yo! Eddy. Serial number is 083y4m.

1186687791_J9zdQ-X2.jpg

1186689006_YqXvH-X2.jpg

Last edited:

zack

yo-eddy, #'s

Frame type Yo-eddy!
Frame number: YOS2188
Year of manufacture: 1998
Frame size: Small
Color: Original Red
Owner name: Jon Zechmeister
Photo, if possible: will follow at latter time

Hey all, while I know of the chart of frame numbers on list over at First Flight Bikes (if you haven't seen Jeff's pages yet, check them out, there is some cool MTB history there), I am planning on assembling a comprehensive database and registry of Fats all over the world. Until I can get something a bit more self-supportive, I'd like this thread to be a collection of Fats.

Here's what we'd like from you for the registry...

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.):
Frame number:
Year of manufacture:
Frame size:
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):
Location (city, state, country):
Owner name:
Photo, if possible:

I know we couldn't get everything made out there, but it would be nice to begin the effort to track where these beautiful frames are. I'll begin with my newly acquired Wicked...

Rifboy

OK, Here I go.
Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo Eddy
Frame number: Y0L2254
Year of manufacture: Purchaced from CA bike store in Sept 1998 at Chris Chances suggestion (I remembered!)
Frame size: Large
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Black!
Location (city, state, country): Jamestown RI
Owner name:Bruce Beard

Photo, if possible: done!

I remember finding Fat Chance contact info and calling to ask about where to buy a frame, Chris answered and suggested that a dealer in CA had what I wanted. He also said that my desire for a rigid fork was no problem as he had just completed a run of rigid forks for the frame I wanted, he noted a resurgence in interest in rigid bikes.
Anyway I paid about $2000.00 for the bike and I had it one month later. It is still mine and I love it.
Bruce, aka Rifboy

Attachments

• Fat2.JPG
    Fat2.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 28

Kirk Shell

OK, Here I go.
Frame number: Y0L2254
Year of manufacture: Purchaced from CA bike store in Sept 1998 at Chris Chances suggestion (I remembered!)
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Black!
Location (city, state, country): Jamestown RI
Owner name:Bruce Beard
Photo, if possible: done!

I remember finding Fat Chance contact info and calling to ask about where to buy a frame, Chris answered and suggested that a dealer in CA had what I wanted. He also said that my desire for a rigid fork was no problem as he had just completed a run of rigid forks for the frame I wanted, he noted a resurgence in interest in rigid bikes.
Anyway I paid about $2000.00 for the bike and I had it one month later. It is still mine and I love it.
Bruce, aka Rifboy
Very nice Bruce!

janv

Here's My Bike

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Buck Shaver
Frame number: 363B3S (as near as I can make out)
Year of manufacture: 1994
Frame size: small
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Black (original)
Location (city, state, country): Steamboat Springs, CO
Owner name: janv
Photo, if possible:

Attachments

• 94 Buck Shaver.jpg
    94 Buck Shaver.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 10

StarTREK

My first Fat, I have seven more;)

Frame number: YO M 434
Year of manufacture: 1995
Arial]Frame size: Medium
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Chameleon Metallica (originalLocation
(city, state, country): Illescas, Toledo, Spain.
Owner name: StarTrek
Photo, if possible: If possible.

B.o.T.M. Mar 2011

Attachments

• Fat Yo Eddy 8.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 8.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Fat Yo Eddy 7.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 7.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Fat Yo Eddy 6.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 6.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Fat Yo Eddy 5.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 5.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Fat Yo Eddy 4.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 4.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Fat Yo Eddy 3.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 3.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Fat Yo Eddy 2.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 2.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Fat Yo Eddy 1.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy 1.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Fat Yo Eddy.JPG
    Fat Yo Eddy.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Riverdog

Frame registry

Frame type: Fat Chance
Frame number: 87322
Year of manufacture: 1987?
Color : Black w/ Yellow Forks
Owner name: Andrew

I-ROBOT

Frame type: Fat Chance
Frame number: 87322
Year of manufacture: 1987?
Color : Black w/ Yellow Forks
Owner name: Andrew
Yes, 1987 would be correct for that serial number. Probably built around March or so. I came on full time that June and we tacked our 1000th frame in late September. First time Fat City had built over 1000 frames in one year

zack

Another frame to add to the data base.

Frame Type: yo-eddy
Serial Number:
YO S 218.
Year: 1998
Size: small
Color: Arrest me red
Owner: Jon

PTOWN Bikes

478y3m orange was in GA now in the mother land (Massachusetts)
will be painted aquafade for my son

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

mojokc1

My Fat

Frame type; yo-eddy
Frame number; 592Y3M
Year of manufacture; 1993
Frame size; Medium
Color; Team Violet
Location; Kansas City Missouri USA
Owner name; Joe Parker

Attachments

• HangTag.jpg
    HangTag.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 59

130R

Frame type: Buck Shaver
Frame number: 278B4L
Year of manufacture: 1997?
Color: Arrest Me Red!
Owner name: James Bravo

Going full touring on this rig!

I-ROBOT

If anyone can let me know who the folks are on the hang tag that would be great...thanks, Joe
Welcome Joe!

I will do the best I can, but some people got "creative" when signing hang tags and not everybody signed every tag (unfortunately that includes myself - but here goes:

From the top:
"the symbol that looks like some sort of sailing ship" - sorry no clue
"Welda X" (with Michaelangelo quote) - my guess is either Patrick (whose last name escapes me) or Dave Blakeney, Pat was an aspiring writer so it could have been him but Dave always came up with some off-the-wall stuff so either one maybe
"Debbie" - Debbie Nadolney who was the shipping department and a good friend to the end
"Lawrie" - Lawrie Pinkham (male) started out as a painter in the mid 80's, left, then came back as the production manager until Somerville closed - amazing car mechanic Volkswagen expert and F1 fanatic. I broke the news about Ayrton Senna's untimely death to him and I thought he was going to cry
"ride with love" - again, no idea
"Jai" - sorry
"WB" - the infamous Wendyll Behrend, then-wife of Chris Chance and apparently owner of whatever is left of Fat City at this point
"Josh" - Josh was an engineering student at Northeastern and he did testing, prototyping, and machinist type work. Good guy
"Mike F" - would be Mike Flanigan, painter extraordinaire who likely painted your frame, went on to become a founding member of IF and now does ANT-BIKE Mike in central Mass. I helped him learn how to TIG weld
"Lloyd" - would be Lloyd Graves who ran the tacking department and went on to found IF and I believe he is still working at it with them
"the solar system" - no freakin idea
"Merritt" - worked in the finishing department - alignment, brazing, paint prep - great guy
"symbol under solar system"- your guess is as good as mine

Unfortunately Chris Chance did not sign your hang tag and neither did I (I sometimes used my AWS CWI stamp or signed as my nickname "I-Robot"). Most likely I welded all or part of your frame. Patrick or Sue Kirby probably welded your fork

Hope this helps you out

Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson
Fat City chief welder 1987 - 1994