any difference in the ride from a wicked to a wicked lite?

mainlyfats

what's the difference in the tubing? is it more flexy?

I've never ridden a Wicked Lite, but have heard from a couple of sources that for quite a while any factory repair/repaint jobs got stickered as Wicked Lites, no matter what they actually were.

FWIW I've never been able to tell a triple butted frame from a normally butted frame. The only steel frames that have been freaky flexy to me were the P-20/P-21 Ritcheys. Those tubes you could compress with your fingers.

colker

I've never ridden a Wicked Lite, but have heard from a couple of sources that for quite a while any factory repair/repaint jobs got stickered as Wicked Lites, no matter what they actually were.

FWIW I've never been able to tell a triple butted frame from a normally butted frame. The only steel frames that have been freaky flexy to me were the P-20/P-21 Ritcheys. Those tubes you could compress with your fingers.

Thanks and since you jumped in.. what's the difference from your team comp x wickeds, other than higher quality of weld?

mainlyfats

Thanks and since you jumped in.. what's the difference from your team comp x wickeds, other than higher quality of weld?

Geometry-wise, I think it's similar with maybe slightly longer chainstays. I believe that the tubeset was up-spec'd to a multi-butted tubing too, but Scott could probably speak to that. I've never owned a Team Comp with original paint, so I've never had a True Temper sticker on either of mine.

The other difference is the G.P. Wilson stainless dropouts, which I believe necessitated silver brazing over the usual brass.

tvcreative

I have both, I can't tell difference really. More of a geometry difference than tube, as my older wicked has smaller lower fork, and wicked light is made for longer AC

colker

I have both, I can't tell difference really. More of a geometry difference than tube, as my older wicked has smaller lower fork, and wicked light is made for longer AC

what year is your lite? Catalog says they were only adjusted in 94.. and then the picture shows the same unicrown fork used in previous years. I have a 88 unicrown Fat city fork which measures 400mm a-c.

tvcreative

well, it came stock with a manitou fork

has a 93 serial number but came with 94 Shimano m737

I think it had to have been made late in the year

it looks just like the 94 catalogue- but without the unicrown fork.

I have a BOI with proper 1.75 rake for it now - that is more like 410ish

the BB height is 11 7/8ths inches

I would gage proper length of your fork by where the BB height sits with 2.25 tires

does this make sense or am I off the deep end?

colker

I measured the BB height w/ 2.1 continental tires which tend to smallish and it measures 11.8 give or take.
I always eyeball the BB drop and seat angle.. right now it feels right. otoh, there is something odd on the front center: it should stay put while riding no hands but it tends to fall either on the left or right. Could be many things.. mal adjusted headset or alignment issues. I got frame and fork used. Left it on a storage for six mo.

rick

Wicked vs. Wicked Lite vs. Team Comp

I am told that the Lite tubing was indeed different (lighter) than the earlier Wicked, but have never put it on a scale. Also has threaded BB and top tube cable routing which makes some things a bit easier. The Lite is one of my favorite bikes but I as for telling the difference in ride quality, not sure that I could do so with my eyes closed. I also have a 90 Team Comp w/unicrown fork. It is identical in geometry and dimension to a Wicked of the same year. I have it set up identically to a Wicked and honestly could not tell the difference without looking.
The Wicked bikes are my faves and I have put many, many miles on them. Perhaps someone who is a better or more experienced rider could tell the difference between the different versions? I would be interested in hearing opinions from others......