Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

yoeddyVT

Blackhound

1986 Fat Chance

Frame type: Fat Chance
Frame number: 86691 (originally read it as 16998!)
Year of manufacture: 1986
Frame size: M
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Red f/f with yellow decals - original afaik
Location (city, state, country): Derby, UK
Owner name: Kevin
Photo, if possible:
IMG_0796 by blackhound59, on Flickr

janpez

Frame type: Yo Betty
Frame number: YB-12-032
Year of manufacture: 1998
Frame size: 12"
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Original color - Raspberry Ice (bright pink custom color)
Location (city, state, country): Madison, WI
Owner name: Kathy J.

I am the original owner of this bike, and it is the only mountain bike I ride. In 1998, when I ordered the bike, I chose bright pink for the custom color. The nice people at Fat Chance decided they liked the color so much they included it as an option for Yo Betty starting 1999. In fact the catalogue for 1999 featured my yo betty. :)

Last edited:

M3mark

'89 Team Comp

Frame type: Team Comp
Frame number: 13519TC
Year of manufacture: 1989
Frame size: 21"
Colors (original ) custom three color Imron sponge fade (color names ??)
Owner name: mark o.

Purchased from Ridley's Cycle in Calgary, Alberta the summer I worked there, after meeting Chris at the Anaheim bike show. Discussed my options and sizing with him, then waited impatiently all summer!! During it's lifetime it's had fenders, bar ends, a Blackburn rack, a speedo, various lights and accessories. Now back to minimal, and pretty much as first assembled by the best bike tech I know: Randall Carr:
•Salsa stem/True Temper Fat bars
•Suntour XC Pro
•Cook Bros. cranks
•many bolts (incl. main stem bolt ) are titanium
[SPD pedals, WTB saddle and current grips were not part of the original build]

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

M3mark

'89 Team Comp pix

Thanks ! i remember obsessing over the paint color choices that summer and thinking that it was too subtle when it finally arrived...

I did post a few in the Gallery, including the hang tag, if you haven't seen them. I'll see if I can post a few more, now that I have changed to Kenda Small Block tires and replaced the decals. My friend that originally assembled it had given me a pair of down tube decals in black ( same as stock ) that I've been holding onto for twenty years or so. Originals were removed for security reasons, hoping not to attract the bad guys, but who am I kidding!

Here's one from Jericho Beach in Vancouver...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 33

troda

IMG_1159.jpg

Yo Eddy W/ Manitou fork(red)
451Y3L
Aqua Fad Marine
Original w/ Yellow Decals
Mass
Tom

photo.jpg

Ti Fat w/Manitou fork (red)
TFML1075
Blasted finish w/ Yellow Team Decals
Mass
Tom

photo-1.jpg

Team Comp
07499TC
Blue
Original w/white decals
Mass
Tom

Fat Chance w/unicrown fork
Red Original w/yellow decals. black fork
Mass
Tom

Wicked
Black
Original w/ Yellow decals Unicrown fork Yellow
Mass
Tom

Wicked
Blue
Original w/ black decals, Unicrown fork black
Mass
Tom

Last edited:

bbabcock10

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Kicker
Frame number: 86002
Year of manufacture: 1986
Frame size: 19
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Red
Location (city, state, country): Portland, Maine USA
Owner name: Bruce
Photo, if possible:
Not yet

This bike was stolen from me. A year and a half later I was riding a Univega Alpino Pro that a true friend had given me when I saw my Kicker go riding by. Needless to say I followed clown boy to his apartment, locked it with my Krypto and called 911. Let this be inspiration to anyone who has had their heart ripped out that miracles happen.
YO!

cbh

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Buckshaver
Frame number: 043B3M
Year of manufacture: 1994
Frame size: Medium
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): lime green - original paint job
Location (city, state, country): Dallas, TX
Owner name: cbh

Attachments

• fat chance.jpg
    fat chance.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 8

fatdan

G'day Fellow Fatsters. I am currently rebirthing my faithful Bro Eddy into its third incarnation as a single speed. IIRC, the Buckshaver frames were replaced by Bro Eddy and Yo Betty frames around 1998 (losing the mono seatstay but retaining the relaxed geometry, thinner down tube and rack/fender braze-on fittings) and were only in production for a year or two. I initially snapped up this frame as a mate of mine living in the States tipped me off that Fat Chance was winding up. It is one of the last frames from the Saratoga NY frame shop and sat idle at my house in Aus as I had neither the time nor cash (post first child) to build it up until 2001.

Initially it was a bitza, with a constantly revolving mongrel mix of leftover XT 8 speed parts and an elastomer Manitou II fork. Needless to say, the scrimped parts didn't do the frame justice and I eventually rebuilt it with a sweet suite of then sexy '05 LX rapid rise components and a Skareb air fork. Loved the ride for several years including some 12 and 24 hour enduros until I succumbed to a Yeti 575 and from there to Yamaha motos as the Bro' gathered dust in a corner of the garage.

After resisting the strong urge to sell it for a modern hardtail or convert it to a horizontal dropout/disc brake compatible, I've now come full circle back to the Fat and the more chilled thrills of a rigid steel frame ride, mainly to get my lardy arse into some semblence of fitness again as my kids learn the fun of mountain biking with me. The Bro' now sports an assortment of LX cranks, XT V-brakesand steel Surly (1x1 fork, Singleator, SS rear cog) bits 'n pieces and I finally fitted the Thompson seat post that I have been after for a decade! Plan is eventually to rebuild the rear wheel up with a White Industries Eno eccentric hub, a way overdue new Mavic plus beefier tyres. And return to a flat bar as soon as my girth reduces!!

Sorry about the picture quality: overcast day, iPhone, muddy bike, you know the story.

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Bro Eddy
Frame number: BE SM 091
Year of manufacture: 1999 as best I can remember
Frame size: s/m
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Sapphire blue, still original
Location (city, state, country): Victoria, Australia
Owner name: Dan Staff
Photo, if possible:
IMG_0136-M.jpg

Cheers
Fat Dan.

Last edited:

colker

G'day Fellow Fatsters. I am currently rebirthing my faithful Bro Eddy into its third incarnation as a single speed. IIRC, the Buckshaver frames were replaced by Bro Eddy and Yo Betty frames around 1998 (losing the mono seatstay but retaining the relaxed geometry, thinner down tube and rack/fender braze-on fittings) and were only in production for a year or two. I initially snapped up this frame as a mate of mine living in the States tipped me off that Fat Chance was winding up. It is one of the last frames from the Saratoga NY frame shop and sat idle at my house in Aus as I had neither the time nor cash (post first child) to build it up until 2001.

Initially it was a bitza, with a constantly revolving mongrel mix of leftover XT 8 speed parts and an elastomer Manitou II fork. Needless to say, the scrimped parts didn't do the frame justice and I eventually rebuilt it with a sweet suite of then sexy '05 LX rapid rise components and a Skareb air fork. Loved the ride for several years including some 12 and 24 hour enduros until I succumbed to a Yeti 575 and from there to Yamaha motos as the Bro' gathered dust in a corner of the garage.

After resisting the strong urge to sell it for a modern hardtail or convert it to a horizontal dropout/disc brake compatible, I've now come full circle back to the Fat and the more chilled thrills of a rigid steel frame ride, mainly to get my lardy arse into some semblence of fitness again as my kids learn the fun of mountain biking with me. The Bro' now sports an assortment of LX, XT and steel Surly (1x1 fork, Singleator, SS rear cog) bits 'n pieces and I finally got the Thompson seat post that I have been after for a decade! Plan is eventually to rebuild the rear wheel up with a White eccentric hub and a way overdue new Mavic. And return to a flat bar as my girth reduces!!

Sorry about the picture quality: overcast day, iPhone, muddy bike, you know the story.

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Bro Eddy
Frame number: BE SM 091
Year of manufacture: 1999 as best I can remember
Frame size: s/m
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Sapphire blue, still original
Location (city, state, country): Victoria, Australia
Owner name: Dan Staff
Photo, if possible:
IMG_0136-M.jpg

Cheers
Fat Dan.

I love it.. i am partial cause it's my size, small medium.

chrisb

Yo Eddy Frame No YO SM 2237
date unknown, around 1998
original paint and stickers
was Australian agents own bike
XTR 8 speed, origianal 1st generation SID died, mavic 517's on Hugi hubs and 16 gauge S/S spokes

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 31

florida fattest

no serial numbers....

Newbie here, forgive if i'm asking dumb ass questions regarding this thread, so I have a very early fat chance, probably 1983, it has no serial number on the bb - as in totally blank, which appears to be an oversized press fit phil wood or similiar model. About a decade ago i communicated with yobetty directly and she indicated this was not unheard of in the early frames, my question is this, are there any other tell tale marks that can help identify the year of this frame? Also, the frame has three issues, one there is a small ding in the top tube, about 4 mm, not deep, and second the paint around that area seems to have been rubbed off in an attempt to repaint it, is it possible to identify and get the paint needed to cover this, and is this dent worth fixing? can it be fixed, by whom? and finally, it does not have the original fork, did it come with an fat chance fork or not? thanks for any and all help.

Hey all, while I know of the chart of frame numbers on list over at First Flight Bikes (if you haven't seen Jeff's pages yet, check them out, there is some cool MTB history there), I am planning on assembling a comprehensive database and registry of Fats all over the world. Until I can get something a bit more self-supportive, I'd like this thread to be a collection of Fats.

Here's what we'd like from you for the registry...

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.):
Frame number:
Year of manufacture:
Frame size:
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):
Location (city, state, country):
Owner name:
Photo, if possible:

I know we couldn't get everything made out there, but it would be nice to begin the effort to track where these beautiful frames are. I'll begin with my newly acquired Wicked...

mainlyfats

Newbie here, forgive if i'm asking dumb ass questions regarding this thread, so I have a very early fat chance, probably 1983, it has no serial number on the bb - as in totally blank, which appears to be an oversized press fit phil wood or similiar model. About a decade ago i communicated with yobetty directly and she indicated this was not unheard of in the early frames, my question is this, are there any other tell tale marks that can help identify the year of this frame? Also, the frame has three issues, one there is a small ding in the top tube, about 4 mm, not deep, and second the paint around that area seems to have been rubbed off in an attempt to repaint it, is it possible to identify and get the paint needed to cover this, and is this dent worth fixing? can it be fixed, by whom? and finally, it does not have the original fork, did it come with an fat chance fork or not? thanks for any and all help.

Lots of pictures, guy. Lots.

dolefee

Yo Eddy

IMAG0736_zps25e756cc.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0738_zpsb284bf96.jpg
[/IMG]

Picked up this Yo recently from the original owner, who is currently in his 70s. Since his knee surgery 20+ yrs ago, this museum piece was only ridden a handful of times on pavement. He did "upgrade" the original XT components to top of the line Sram stuff(dangit), and unfortunately gave away the old parts. Also converted to XTR V-brakes, switched to suspension stem, and fitted that mystery seatpost. Probably the only thing worth keeping would be the Kooka cranks. I already have a proper Syncros seatpost and cattleprod stem lined up; any suggestions on the components that would flow with this build? XTR? XT? Suntour? Looking for front and rear derailleur, shifters, brake levers and cantilevers brake set. I also plan on keeping the White Industry hub wheelset from '93. Either way, she's a keeper...

jpicard616

I would ride it as is for a while, and eventually find a bunch of the gray XTR 950 stuff, which would look awesome with the gray/red paint job

dolefee

The gray xtr 950 comps would be nice, though a couple years newer. Been looking for a clean YO for quite some time...