Fat noob

hairstream

I purchased 745W08 a few weeks ago to use as a town/commuter bike. It is a blue Wicked Team. There is a thread here started by the seller. As the story goes; this frame was purchased new and never built up. It was personalized for the original buyer "richard" by painting his name on the top tube. The original decals on the head and down tube have taken on a patina with age. The head tube decal has started to remove itself from the frame. All the seat tube decals are in good shape. The paint by D+D is flawless. It has the original bottom bracket/bearings with the 2-allen head bolt collars. The brake bosses have a surface layer of rust, however the inside of the head and seat tube look like the day they came out of the factory.

I have purchased a complete NOS Suntour XC Pro group through various eBay auctions and other means. I intend to lace the grease-guard hubs to NOS Campagnolo ATEK rims. The freewheel is Winner Pro. The headset that the frame came to me with (Campagnolo) is being replaced by the XC Pro grease-guard unit.

I am thinking of re-painting it to get rid of the personalization.

I am looking for a retro NOS True Temper bar.

I am looking for a retro NOS 26.4 seatpost.

Perhaps it should be a single speed.

Anything special I should know about this bottom bracket?

This is my first Fat Chance bike and don't know much about them. Any information you all can provide me would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Wicked1.jpg
    Wicked1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 25

ameybrook

Welcome to the club of Colorado FAT owners. For a first one, you scored. Nothing tricky about the BB, its press-fit, and if its smooth, leave it. If not, Rody @ Groovy Cycleworks can help.

Singlespeed Wickeds I hear are a good way to keep em going. Especially @ Palmer Park ;-)

Generic 26.4 seatposts can be found NOS on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kalloy-Uno-26-4...ryZ58101QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Certainly not nice or light, but it gits'r'done.

NOS true temper bars sell for good $$ on ebay, especially if they have the FAT logo on them.

If you get into the retro scene, PM me, and I'll point you to a good local source.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

colker

DON'T repaint that.
why not a nice mtb decal over it? your favourite football team logo?
that is a superb painting.. a new one will cost hundreds and won't be any better.

the campy headset is pretty nice on any fat due to fat city/ campy connections though it's no biggie if you swap it for suntour. i have that exact HS on a road frame and it is solid.

fat-tony

Staff member
Please don't repaint that frame. It is one of a kind!

btw: my frame has a decal on it that says, Yo Eddy, but my name is Tony :)

hairstream

Yeah, the bike really looks like it just came out of a time capsule. O.K. I won't paint it for now. Was just throwing that out there. The paint is really, really nice. The BB is nice!

The Campagnolo headset is a very nice, but is headed for ebay. For some reason I want the whole group to be XC Pro. I would like to figure out how to get the rest of the head tube decal off and get a new one on there... or is it taboo. :skull:

Since it is a 1990 I figured XC Pro would pass as "period." Seat post has to be period correct NOS or mint. I was looking at the generic seat posts before, but I don't think I could bring myself to actually inserting it into the Wicked when the time came.

I have a NOS Taperlite, but it's yellow and really isn't a classic Fat bar (if it was black maybe I could get away with it). The Wicked begs for the True Temper, with the Fat logo, of course. Saw one on eBay recently but it was hammered.

I have an 89 Yeti FRO that I use for trails. So, I will keep this bike as nice as I can, for as long as I can.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yo Eddy!

I would like to figure out how to get the rest of the head tube decal off and get a new one on there... or is it taboo. :skull:

What decal do you mean now?

On the Richard decal: Decals can be removed with precision without a repaint is required.

hairstream

I'm talking about the head tube badge... FAT cycles. Although, the down tube decals are yellowed somewhat from age, it probably needs a new decals for head and down tube... in white. I got the rest of the head tube decal off with my fingernail with no damage to the paint. The Richard is not a decal, it is painted. I might get an airbrush artist do something about the it. I know I shouldn't mess with the paint, though.

Can anyone tell me what the fork is called? Thanks.

Attachments

• Wicked Fork.jpg
    Wicked Fork.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 11

colker

I'm talking about the head tube badge... FAT cycles. Although, the down tube decals are yellowed somewhat from age, it probably needs a new decals for head and down tube... in white. I got the rest of the head tube decal off with my fingernail with no damage to the paint. The Richard is not a decal, it is painted. I might get an airbrush artist do something about the it. I know I shouldn't mess with the paint, though.

Can anyone tell me what the fork is called? Thanks.

box crown.
i like the slightly torn decal look.
the more you mess w/it the less value... leave it alone; it's beautifull.

just build it. if the "richard" is looking a bit huh "weird", just cover it w/ a syncros, shimano, sidi, ringle period decal.