Pricing Variability?

So, I am in the market for a second Yo. Hoping to pick one up and build it up for my wife as a companion to my Yo. I've been doing some research on values for complete bikes and frames and notice that there is a TON of variability in seemingly similar condition / age / build bikes.

Since a lot of you have been steeped in this for quite a while, any thoughts on what drives the pricing variability and what to look for before I pull the trigger on a frame or bike?

Thanks in advance.

mainlyfats

So, I am in the market for a second Yo. Hoping to pick one up and build it up for my wife as a companion to my Yo. I've been doing some research on values for complete bikes and frames and notice that there is a TON of variability in seemingly similar condition / age / build bikes.

Since a lot of you have been steeped in this for quite a while, any thoughts on what drives the pricing variability and what to look for before I pull the trigger on a frame or bike?

Thanks in advance.

The biggest variable I've noticed is between who know and people who have no idea... This is a great place to get a good bike at a decent price because we tend to heckle dreamers and praise under-valuers. You'll notice in the classifieds here that folks will often chime in with "Good price"...

All of the out-to-lunch pricing seems to be from people who see that stupid bike that has been on eBay forever, or the occasional top-shelf, super-bling, retrobike-type Yo! that goes for $2K+. Restored bikes should go for that, but they don't. Forks make a big difference.

I think the right price for a Yo! is between about $675 and $1400 (is that the wide range you were talking about?). What I'd expect on a $675-$999 bike is paint/sticker damage, a suspension fork that was outdated and components that like would require work (read: a new drivetrain). I would never buy one of these.

Around about a grand things start to get better, especially around here. For about a grand you can often find a pretty beat-up but rideable, serviceable Yo! with a steel fork. Still probably need a drivetrain. $1200 starts to get to a good place - bikes without real issues that are ready to go and probably won't require major investment.

More than $1400 and IMO you're paying for someone else's taste. If theirs matches yours: win. More than $1800 and you're into investment-grade retro-ano stuff that depreciates the minute you get it dirty.

My advice: $1200-$1400, bought from here.

Wow, thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Here is what I mean (granted this is all eBay but it's all I can get for data):

1994 - $1325 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-rare-...591?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2a313988cf)

1996 - $599 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAT-CITY-CY...407?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2ec9af6f9f)

1992 - $450 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-City-Cy...502?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3a82a62ff6)

Everything else falls in between. I emailed the guy that just listed the purple frame here for $600 that is for the frame only. Trying to figure out what a good price is for that. But part of me wonders whether I should just wait and try to pick up a complete bike instead.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tvcreative

First one, had M900 shimano parts in excellent shape. That gruppo is expensive, that color that size rare

Second one, had non period correct parts and was a smaller undesirable size

The third one was sort of beat up - with a hodge podge of odd parts.

answer question?

If you want to pristine bike with the right parts you will pay. The M900 crankset alone on fleebay goes from 125 to 600 dollars depending on the shape.

Homework pays

mainlyfats

Wow, thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Here is what I mean (granted this is all eBay but it's all I can get for data):

1994 - $1325 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-rare-...591?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2a313988cf)

1996 - $599 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAT-CITY-CY...407?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2ec9af6f9f)

1992 - $450 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-City-Cy...502?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3a82a62ff6)

Everything else falls in between. I emailed the guy that just listed the purple frame here for $600 that is for the frame only. Trying to figure out what a good price is for that. But part of me wonders whether I should just wait and try to pick up a complete bike instead.

Yeah... I see what you mean. Pay attention to where a bike is too. Europeans will spend more if they don't get nailed on shipping (even still, I think that first one was a little much).
You'd be surprised how many Americans won't ship outside the lower 48.

The second - looks OK (is that rust under paint on the brake bridge?) - but the parts are a real mishmash. I just look at it and envision my parts pile growing while I spend at least that again to make it right.

The third - again IMO - you pay your money and you take your chances with restorations (especially ones that are photographed as poorly as that - is the paint sh!t? Looking at the headtube I'd say yes...). Again - those parts and that fork - probably useless to the person who'd want the frame.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
As others have said, it can really be all over the place. I have bought and sold frames anywhere from $250 to $1600, complete bikes in the same range. Condition and parts/fork matter a LOT, but if you are patient and a bit lucky you can get a great Yo Eddy for well under a grand.

Personally, if I was really looking to find the right bike my budget would be about what was listed above. Cheaper and you are stoked. More expensive if things are just *perfect.*

fat-tony

Staff member
I also think a lot of folks get caught up in restoring a bike and spend way more than they can get back out of it (finger points directly at me), so when it's time to sell, prices are higher to try and recoup some of their loss.......:)

RobTu

I've bought and sold probably a dozen Yo Eddys.

$750 is the sweet spot for a good condition (read: no rust, dents, cracks and decals are for the most part accounted for, with everything in good working condition, maybe needing a tune up, at worst).

IF you are handy with repairs and restoration or are looking for a project, you definitely will be able to find one for less.
If you want nothing to do with, (or don't have time for), a project, but want something pristine, then prepare to pay a bit more, but don't go over $1000, as you will be regretting it later, if you ever try to resell it. Yo Eddys are relatively common when it comes to older, highend MTBs, with one or two popping up on ebay every couple weeks.
If you scour your semi-local craigslist, you might luck out and find one for less than $750, in great condition. I have.

Best advice: know exactly what you want, as in size, colors, parts, condition, and set your price, then be patient- it'll happen.

RobTu

And invest in a chain-checker! :beer:

I don't have a chain checker; it either shifts right or it doesn't; it adjusting it, doesn't work, then I'm picking up a new chain and cassette. (I have a bunch of m900 chains still fresh in the box (hg90? or ig90? off the top of my head), and lightly worn m900 cassettes, so I'm lucky in that dept. I don't sell those, and buy when I come across them in new to almost new condition for reasonable price.