Yo suspension fork

Defiant

Hi Guys (mel ;) )

Next week i hope to receive my first Yo and athough i have always wanted one it took me a while to buy one, don't ask me why ;)
The one i am getting is a Yo from 94 with a Judy XC fork but i was wondering; what's the best(looking) fork for a Yo like mine (M/Aquafade) and with which fork was is delivered from the factory?

sorry,..if i am asking stupid questions,..i am new into the FAT world althoough you wouldn's say if you saw me in person ;)

Thanks,

Bas

YoKris

There wasn't any specific suspension fork they've delivered when you've bought a frame. First time the geometry of the YO EDDY! was suspension corrected was in 1994. For an additional charge you had the option to choose between the BOI, YO EDDY! fork, or any type of suspension fork you asked for and then they painted the suspension fork matching to the frame (but not the crown of the fork!).

Take a look at the catalogs...e.g. in 94 the YO EDDY! was equipped with a Manitou 2. I would suggest to use the Big One Inch, that's what it needs to be a true YO EDDY!.

//yo

Defiant

Thanks Kris,

i would love to find a BOI but where can i find one,... :confused:

In my opinion the Fat's look best rigid..

Bas

YoKris

Thanks Kris,

i would love to find a BOI but where can i find one,... :confused:

In my opinion the Fat's look best rigid..

Bas

Hey Bas...

I know. It took me more than two years to find one. And then, it's been a quite pricey matter (>200 €)! But let me tell ya...that's worth it! Equipped with the new Rocket Ron my Yo's weights less than 9.6 kg (21.1 lbs) - a killer!!! And it handles way more better as with a '95 Judy SL!!!

Where to find...ebay! :(

Defiant

Or have one made by Rody,..but he has a waiting list of almost 18 months,... :confused:

and the 200 euro?,..i am happy to pay this if that makes my bike look better :cool:

Upchuck

Chris recently built a fork for my Yo. The wait was only about a month but I may have gotten lucky with his build schedule. I'm thoroughly satisfied with the fork he built me. 1" steer with disc tabs. Tracks really well and is super smooth on the rocky descents.

Rody is getting ready to start a new fork for my Monster. I've ridden one of his forks before and was really impressed.

Defiant

Chris recently built a fork for my Yo. The wait was only about a month but I may have gotten lucky with his build schedule. I'm thoroughly satisfied with the fork he built me. 1" steer with disc tabs. Tracks really well and is super smooth on the rocky descents.

Rody is getting ready to start a new fork for my Monster. I've ridden one of his forks before and was really impressed.

Is there any difference in build quality between Chris and Rody?
i guess when they work with the original specs there shouldn't be, right?

misterdangerpants

Chris Igleheart built me a BOI in late 2007 for my Ted Wojcik, or as I affectionately call it, my "Yo Teddy", and the fork is fantastic. Can't vouch for Rody, but from what I see on his web site, if looks just as nice as the stuff Chris is doing. I went with Chris because he's local. I wish I had gone with the Yo Eddy fork as I like the fatter tubing. Still, its a pretty bitchin' fork. Attached are some photos.

Attachments

• P9260011.JPG
    P9260011.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 19
  • P9260014.JPG
    P9260014.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 16

Upchuck

Is there any difference in build quality between Chris and Rody?
i guess when they work with the original specs there shouldn't be, right?
Both forks are unique custom forks. The Igleheart is a segmented fork built for a 650B wheel and disc brakes. I gave him my weight and riding style and he used tubing, rake and trail specific to my needs. And boy does it delivery!

Rody is building me a Hooded Ho. If you're not familiar with Rody's work, that means it's a Groovy Ho Down box fork with hooded dropouts. It will also be used with a 650B wheel and will be accompanied by a custom stem (ala Rody) and original WTB Dirtdrop bars. Shwing!

Defiant

The pictures look great

My reason to buy a rigid fork is not only the handling but mostly the looks, if love looks of the the original rigid fork,..
So,..i guess they can both build me a replica BOI? and if i understand correctly,..the both deliver some great work.
I know Rody's work from Groovy,..really cool bikes,...

IF52

I would suggest to use the Big One Inch, that's what it needs to be a true YO EDDY!.

//yo

That's a pretty tough call to make there. As I've pointed out untold number of times, we sold more Fat's than anybody else in 1994 except for one shop in Mass. I think the number was 86, but it could have been a few more than that. I would guess the majority of those Fat's were Yos and I think I could count the number of BOIs that were sold in that time on one hand. Most customers by that point, at our shop at least, were putting Mag21s or Manitous on their Fats.

YoKris

That's a pretty tough call to make there. As I've pointed out untold number of times, we sold more Fat's than anybody else in 1994 except for one shop in Mass. I think the number was 86, but it could have been a few more than that. I would guess the majority of those Fat's were Yos and I think I could count the number of BOIs that were sold in that time on one hand. Most customers by that point, at our shop at least, were putting Mag21s or Manitous on their Fats.

I guess you don't get what I've meant. :rolleyes: Look what I've posted. In my opinion a YO EDDY! needs to have a BOI or YO EDDY fork to be complete! With which kind of fork you mostly equipped the bikes at that time is a complete different matter.

Defiant

Bas,
Thank you for your interest.
The segmented fork in a 1" steerer is $350, the paint would be probably about +$75 or there abouts.
It would be a month before I could get to it as it is cross season.
Cheers
Christopher

That's pretty fast,..
Although i think the price is a bit steep,...
I guess i will choose to get my Judy XC painted in matching colours and then in time buy a rigid fork,..

IF52

I guess you don't get what I've meant. :rolleyes: Look what I've posted. In my opinion a YO EDDY! needs to have a BOI or YO EDDY fork to be complete! With which kind of fork you mostly equipped the bikes at that time is a complete different matter.

No, I get what you meant. I wrote it was a tough call, because even though a Yo! would be more complete with a BOI or Yo fork, depending on the vintage, fewer were sold with those forks than without. So from an as sold/built when new standpoint a Yo! of a given vintage would be just as complete with a Mag21, Judy, etc. painted to match especially.

mainlyfats

That's pretty fast,..
Although i think the price is a bit steep,...
I guess i will choose to get my Judy XC painted in matching colours and then in time buy a rigid fork,..

I just ordered a fork from Christopher and think $350 is pretty reasonable, if you're actually planning on riding the bike a bit.

Look around a little before you make a decision of course, but look at the forks available (not a complete list by any means):

Under $125

- Soma, Tange, IRD, Surly, etc. The mass-produced, probably a little heavy, bomb-proof cheapies.

Under $300:

- Waltworks - probably nice - bit of a backlog.
- Hunter Unicrown - very nice - six months.
- Vicious Cycles - undeniably nice riding, I'd personally have a bit of thing with a huge Vicious Cycles down the legs, but I imagine you could get it without stickers if you specified.
- Rody - I think, is under $3 bills without crazy paint (please correct me if I'm wrong Rody!). He's looking at December I think (again... Sorry if I'm mis-representing and correct away!)

I wanted a fork for this cross season and I love the segmented YO/BOI look.

The $300+ crowd is pretty deep too:

- Iglehart as noted.
- Pretty much every carbon fork (I will never, ever do that again).
- IF. Had one. Very nice. Very fast delivery. Would get one again.
- Perreira. I've never actually seen this guy's work up close but imagine it's very nice. Looks like he's dealing with a backlog.
- Hunter super forks. Awesome. I have two. Six months.
- Steve Potts. I've just ordered a Type II for my Merlin MTB. It's $500 and the turn around is a month. I'm rationalizing it thus: my good industry friends all said I needed to buy a Fox fork for something like $700. For $850 I'm buying a very nice, and extremely cool looking cross fork and THE BEST FORK EVER MADE, neither of which will ever require maintenance, neither of which will ever cause even a moment's stress and neither of which will fail to draw the kind of bike geeks I'd prefer to chat with.

I'm not knocking the now 10 plus year old if you can find them, made for racing, very expensive BOI/YO, but a brand new Type II? No contest for me.

Defiant

i found the best option,..

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

sometimes you have to be lucky ;)

Butcher

Yep, that was the best opion - no question.

In my opinion Yo's look best in a rigid fork, especially the older ones (pre suspension corrected). Extra bonus if you find a matched frame with it's original matching fork.

Is it a Yo Eddy or a Big One Inch fork? You can tell as the Yo fork has 1 1/8 inch blades and the BOI has 1 inch blades. Later rigid Yo's came with the BOI while the early Yo's came with the Yo Eddy fork. I'm not sure when the switch was made.