1991 Monster Fat

vintagerider

Wow she looks great!
Well done.
Dont you think she deserves her own build thread here rather than just a link to RBUK?
Just a thought.

theredchili

So this build is Fat number three, my first Monster.The pictures do not do any justice to the condition of this frame, its like new , the pepto pink is stunning

1991 Fat City Cycles Monster Fat in absolutely beautiful condition. This is the iconic

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

theredchili

Managed to source the following NOS Parts to match a mint Frame :

XC Pro Brakes
XC Pro Front Mech
XC Pro Headset ( Grease Guard)
Fat City Cycles Stem

Even a copy of the original Fat City Cycles invoice :D

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 5

theredchili

Some other parts for the build, Collars From Rody @ the Groovy Cycleworks , various other nice parts which I may or may not use :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4

theredchili

So today I have fitted the NOS headset to frame and folks,feeling inspired to build , parts to find , Spindle ( from cook Bros) nice set of amber walls and grips (from Mombat) and decide on bars to fit

Will get a decent camera as the pics don't do any justice to what looks like a new build,i'm very lucky with the condition of the original paint

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 12
It looks great! I especially like this photo on Retrobike of you're Yo Eddy & Monster together.
2fats.jpg
Nice to see 2 beautiful Fat City Paint Jobs next to each other. It's also interesting to see the subtle differences between the Monster and the Yo which appear to be the same size. Jon

theredchili

It looks great! I especially like this photo on Retrobike of you're Yo Eddy & Monster together. Nice to see 2 beautiful Fat City Paint Jobs next to each other. It's also interesting to see the subtle differences between the Monster and the Yo which appear to be the same size. Jon

Thanks Jon, they do look stunning together , both frames are medium, heres a couple more pics i took at the same time ......

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 8

theredchili

Bit more progress today on the Monster, received a much anticipated spindle from Cook Bros for the press in Bottom Bracket, means I can slowly start to build up :D

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 9

tvcreative

Red...

so far so good...love the suntour mix

I just sent my monster to the powder coater...

I opted to go with purple vs pink. That pink is harder to match

the stem you have is probably a taiwan knock off

i would keep your eyes open for a salsa with a roller cam and a tru temper bar if you are going for the original period look.

I think that's what came originally on my bike

Jim

Zamfir

really like that color

even thought about painting the Wicked in the Pepto, then the wife vetoed that option.....

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The stems are made in Taiwan but they aren't "knock-offs"--they were spec'ed on Monsters OEM from Fat.

tvcreative

My bad if Monsters came with taiwan stems...

the one I have - came with a salsa, although I am not the original owner.

This is what was passed on to me by the original owner - maybe he swapped it out at some time...

I guess this would be akin to NITTO making the original Ritchey Force stems

and Lee Chi making the copy Ritchey Farce stems (really Force but with a goofy angled typeface)

I have seen a lot of taiwan out there...most of it is pretty good.

I should have kept my mouth shut...I really like what has been done to this build so far...and will use it as a benchmark for mine, if I can get it all together. Great job so far theredchili.

Last edited:

theredchili

Thanks everyone for the kind words,loving this bike, I have a set of True temper bars lined up for this build , though original condition, not as fresh as the rest off the build which begs the question, leave bars in original condition or respray :confused:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6104/6393617699_973d2288ef_b_d.jpg

My gut feeling is saying leave it as is ,the frame etc is all original paint and I like the idea of the rest of the build being in original form

theredchili

Another small update, Seat and seat post fitted ,tyres on its way from Mombat and bars should be with me in the next couple of days

The post I had resprayed and by pure accident matches the forks perfectly !

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

nader

nice fat part collection. I didn't know, there was also an FAT seat? :confused:
..and I could use one of your true temper bars :D (mine is gone somehow lost in transit :()

theredchili

nice fat part collection. I didn't know, there was also an FAT seat? :confused:
..and I could use one of your true temper bars :D (mine is gone somehow lost in transit :()

Yeah, made by Specialized, I have one also on my wicked, though its slightly different with Fat City written across the back and the specialized logo on the sides